Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 3:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There's not much for me to say, really.

I'm 33 and I've been fascinated by religion in the, can't-not-look-away-from-the-car-crash sense for the last 12 years of my life.  I grew up mostly non-religious with some residual Catholic guilt from my mom and a completely religiously apathetic dad. I knew what Christians generally believed and held the notion that I was Christian by birth, but only attended services maybe four or five times in the first 18 years of my life and even then only at the invite of friends. My beliefs were closest to, 'this Christ figure has many of the features of mythology and most of this narrative probably didn't happen, but it's important for me to know and maybe there's something to be learned here.'

Then I got older and I realized that people actually do believe in an extreme, fundamentalist sense (yes, I know, something only an isolated left-coast kid could stumble into at the age of 19). Being confronted with the existence of fundamentalists and the knowledge that grown adults made decisions based on utter horseshit was a little shocking. The rethink that followed caused me to discard my tepid deism. Ever since then I've needed to understand why people cling to beliefs and in particular beliefs that are often in direct contradiction with our observations of the world.

Earlier in my life that involved taking classes on religion, myth, consciousness (neurosci) etc in college while I pursued degrees in physics and math. More recently I've been lurking in places like Christianforums.com, but I've become increasingly off-put by the staggering amount of rules (many of them very shortsighted) and one-sided moderation so I'm seeking out more fertile ground.
RE: New Member
Welcome! Thanks for sharing your story Smile Fellow maths dude here!

We do have rules of course, but I have found them to be very relaxed and reasonable. The moderation is certainly not one sided, either. We let people spout the most tremendous drivel as long as they follow the rules. (I'm not suggesting this is your intention Big Grin )
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Yeah, well at least the forums here aren't bizarrely segregated like on christianforums.com. For example there's the news section in which only Christians can post and then there's the news section where everyone can post. Then there's the courting couples forum which is filled with questions by people just starting to date or considering marriage, but it is forbidden for married people to post there to actually answer them, because... well, fuck logic, there is no stated reason.

CF is a little too apartheid for my tastes.

Moderator Notice
Link removed for 30/30 violation. Please view the rules as linked by robvalue. ~Losty
Something weird happened. Panic Lol. Sorry Rob.

Also...welcome new person
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Lol, no problem Smile Seems we were both doing it at the same time.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Dr. Egon Spengler: There's something very important I forgot to tell you.
Dr. Peter Venkman: What?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Don't cross the streams.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Why?
Dr. Egon Spengler: It would be bad.
Dr. Peter Venkman: I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
Dr Ray Stantz: Total protonic reversal.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Welcome, mihoda, I hope you like it here!
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Physics and math, eh? Good choice!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Welcome!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Welcome aboard.

Is CF the one where the assholes "bless" each other?  I happen to prefer our kudos system!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Member Photos Tiberius 20272 4333614 March 9, 2024 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  New member Jillybean 19 380 March 4, 2024 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member titanif 8 834 October 10, 2023 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: MR. Macabre 666
  [Serious] Hi. Previous member here. I'm so sorry. Steelfist 2 634 September 21, 2023 at 5:00 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member PaulC 13 1280 August 13, 2023 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  New member Dansup 9 1126 April 1, 2023 at 3:44 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  long time atheist, new member BloodyHeartland 17 1952 February 6, 2022 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  New Member johndoe122931 21 2541 June 2, 2021 at 7:06 am
Last Post: no one
  New Member freakygin 17 1490 May 30, 2021 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Old TTA Member here. bemore 18 2448 August 9, 2019 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: bemore