Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
ask a cosmetologist
ask a cosmetologist
So I am extremely close to taking my state boards. I started school in July of 2015, survived the long, endless days of pre-salon and I have been out on the senior salon floor for six months now. So now I feel comfortable enough to answer any questions anyone has relating to hair care, skin care and nail care.

Fire awaySmile If I feel like I can't answer something, I will ask my instructor, but I'd like to give it my best shot first.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
RE: ask a cosmetologist
If I brought gummy bears to your salon, would you give me free stuff?
I don't believe you. Get over it.
Lol that depends on what you want for free.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Hmmm. You mentioned hair care. I need that desperately.  Tongue
I don't believe you. Get over it.
I'd have to think on that. Obviously, I'd be.on the losing side of that deal and last time I checked, the gubermint doesn't accept food for repayment of student loans

Wink
Ooh, I have some questions. Big Grin  I'm looking for foundation that won't make me look too made up and isn't too expensive. A good hair detangler. Some advice on lipstick and nail color (cool undertone).
A Gemma is forever.
How does the abundance of primordial lithium change if one has additional neutrino...

Wait, cosmETologist! My bad.

Did you have any instruction on how to do makeup for TV or such things? I heard that they use different kinds of makeup for HD TV, is that nonsense?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(October 6, 2016 at 6:36 am)Gemini Wrote: Ooh, I have some questions. Big Grin  I'm looking for foundation that won't make me look too made up and isn't too expensive. A good hair detangler. Some advice on lipstick and nail color (cool undertone).

A lightweight foundation would be best if you don't want that "caked-on" look.

Design Essentials makes a wonderful bamboo and silk leave on. Sold only at salons or, if there's an Empire school in your neck of the woods, you can get it there.

As for lipsticks, it all depends on your skin color.

Nail color: cool tones would be either your blues or greens. Some browns, oranges and reds can be considered "cool", but generally, those are warm tones.

An apple red would be considered a cool red, for example.
(October 6, 2016 at 6:39 am)Alex K Wrote: How does the abundance of primordial lithium change if one has additional neutrino...

Wait, cosmETologist! My bad.

Did you have any instruction on how to do makeup for TV or such things? I heard that they use different kinds of makeup for HD TV, is that nonsense?
We touched on fantasy makeup in pre-salon, but we don't do anything else with that, sadly. However, cosmetology school is a good base for starting out in that field.

For me, personally, I would love to be a platform artist one day, specializing in hair color. If you want to see a phenomenal platform artist who does some awesome work with fashion hair colors, search for Guy Tang on YouTube. He is simply amazing.

And I don't know anything about makeup used for HD TV. It would be interesting though.
My eyebrows are slightly bushy and so I pluck them. But I'm thinking of getting it done permanently. Is electrolysis still the best way to do it or can you use lasers?

I've always epilated my legs regularly and now I hardly ever need to do so. I can wear a skirt after a month of not having epilated my legs. But unfortunately my eyebrows still need to be plucked. I'm thinking eyebrow hair must be thicker than leg hair.