Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 5:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Anecdotal Evidence
Anecdotal Evidence
I have seen often here the claim; as put recently that anecdotal evidence is not evidence for anything more than the mundane. 

To my understanding at least, this seems to be used in an odd and at times seemingly forced use.  I am familiar; as one would peruse from a quick google search, the use of the term anecdotal evidence in a scientific sense.  A case such as: "Bob drank 8 glasses of water a day, and his cancer went away; therefore water cures cancer".  I don't dispute such uses of the terms or the reasoning.  Also, it seems that the use in such a case, it is not making a statement about the facts of the case (That Bob drank water, or was subsequently cancer free).  The issue here is that a general conclusion, is being made from what is normally a small sample size and insufficient reason.

So I would like for anyone interested: to clarify, what they mean by anecdotal evidence, particularly in regard to use in reference to Christianity.  Also the principle or justification of any claim in regards to evidence.
RE: Anecdotal Evidence
Anecdotes might be a useful starting point for investigation, but by themselves are hardly evidence of anything.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(October 6, 2016 at 4:41 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I have seen often here the claim; as put recently that anecdotal evidence is not evidence for anything more than the mundane. 

To my understanding at least, this seems to be used in an odd and at times seemingly forced use.  I am familiar; as one would peruse from a quick google search, the use of the term anecdotal evidence in a scientific sense.  A case such as: "Bob drank 8 glasses of water a day, and his cancer went away; therefore water cures cancer".  I don't dispute such uses of the terms or the reasoning.  Also, it seems that the use in such a case, it is not making a statement about the facts of the case (That Bob drank water, or was subsequently cancer free).  The issue here is that a general conclusion, is being made from what is normally a small sample size and insufficient reason.

So I would like for anyone interested: to clarify, what they mean by anecdotal evidence, particularly in regard to use in reference to Christianity.  Also the principle or justification of any claim in regards to evidence.

"Anecdotal evidence" is a bit of an oxymoron.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
As I've said often enough before, evidence is ony a problem for someone who has none. And anecdotal evidence is their last resort.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Anecdotes are wonderful for comedy. They don't have much value anywhere else though.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
(October 6, 2016 at 4:41 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: So I would like for anyone interested: to clarify, what they mean by anecdotal evidence, particularly in regard to use in reference to Christianity.

Try telling your neighbour about a certain event in you life. Remarkable or non remarkable. Ask him to tell others what you experienced. Let it circulate for a period of time, but make sure it comes back to you. And then compare it to your original experience and narrative.

That's anecdotal evidence.

In the case of christianity or any other religion for that matter, it's even more complicated. Times where different, cultures were different and what people were willing to believe was very different as compared to today.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
If one person reports something odd, it's an anecdote. If 1,000 people report something odd, it's qualitative evidence.
Would you take a drug that has only anecdotal evidence as proof of efficacy? 

Do you accept repressed/recovered memory anecdotes?

Do you accept the error rate in eye witness testimony?

Do you believe the testimonies of thousands of alien abduction victims?

Edit: Then alien abduction anecdotes qualify as qualitative evidence? Not in my book. But maybe to other alien abductees.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I recall hearing about cold fusion for the first time while I was at work for the defense contractor.

It was quite a jolt that went thru the office, we were all tech heads and geeks and the prospect of a new potentially unlimited power source was very exciting.

To their credit, it didn't take long for someone to bring up N rays and polywater however.

Still, some of the debunked stuff Jan Brunvald wrote about would get posted from time to time too. And conversations in the cafeteria would devolve to unsubstantiated crapola frequently.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Suppose I tell you, 'I was taken aboard a starship from the Gilflingian Empire. They explained to me their benevolent purposes, took readings of my brainwaves and brought me home.' This is an anecdote.

Suppose I tell you, 'I was taken aboard a starship from the Gilflingian Empire. They said people wouldn't believe this story, so they sent me back with detailed instruction on how to build a cold-fusion generator for $12, how to cure all cancers, a sure-fire way to settle the troubles in Gaza and Syria, and how to safely and rapidly increase Earth's agricultural production 15 fold. See? The instructions are engraved right here on these plates of trivactium, a non-conductive metal alloy made of stable astatine.' This is evidence.

And never the twain shall meet.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Neurosurgeon Provides Evidence Against Materialism Guard of Guardians 41 4238 June 17, 2019 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 11651 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Testimony is Evidence RoadRunner79 588 116902 September 13, 2017 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true? Mudhammam 268 31347 February 3, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  What philosophical evidence is there against believing in non-physical entities? joseph_ 150 12427 September 3, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The nature of evidence Wryetui 150 15303 May 6, 2016 at 6:21 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Witness Evidence RoadRunner79 248 36144 December 17, 2015 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence RoadRunner79 184 29675 November 13, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Miracles are useless as evidence Pizza 0 1228 March 15, 2015 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Pizza
  On the nature of evidence. trmof 125 26765 October 26, 2014 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut