Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
Hello
I've been an atheist for a really long time, ever since I started thinking about it really. I think when I was young I didn't really think about whether or not I was an atheist, but then as I started to be exposed to atheist opinions, I was impressed by their logical arguments and decided that I myself was an atheist. I don't really know if I had a transition period from not being an atheist, to being an atheist. I think I always thought church was corny, when I was a kid at least, I was always very unimpressed and bored with it.

Politically I am far left on the social political scale. Extremely far left. I don't like Clinton, I was and still am a big Bernie fan. Trump is terrifying, but fortunately it seems he's not going to win this election based on the latest controversial tape. Those debates last night were so stressful to watch for me, I went to bed and had to consciously try to just take my mind off all of it. I only got like, what, 4 or 5 hours of sleep? Not terrible, but I still feel a bit tired and sleeping didn't cure the sickness I was feeling last night. What a horrible state our country is in.

I guess you could consider me a creative person, at least, I am interested in creative works of art. I am a very big fan of music, and I have my own tumblr where I keep my own collection of artwork. I also play music a little bit, and have attempted to write my own music. I read a lot of books, I have a pretty big collection of books on my book shelf in my bedroom and in a little glass window cabinet in my living room. I've recently started reading Junky by William S Burroughs, and put down La Bas by J K Huysmans, because it's very difficult to read, but also very annoying, because most of what the characters talk about is superstition and religious folk lore, all of which just sounds like BS to me. I believe all phenomena can be explained by science.

I'm in a bit of an existential rut, at the moment. I feel like I'm extremely upset that I wasn't born in the future. That's actually one of the things that I wanted to make an account on this forum to discuss with some other atheists. I look at all these science articles about how some day we will be able to have computers as powerful as a human brain, how we'll be able to upload our brains to machines and maybe even beam our consciousness across galaxies, expand our life spans indefinitely. It's sad to feel like my species is literally no different from glorified ants, my whole brain is just a computer and I was just copied from another organism, no different than how bacteria divide and grow.

I should also mention, I was diagnosed with aspergers syndrome. I usually don't like to mention that to people, because I feel that it makes them see me differently, and I wouldn't say that anywhere else but on the internet. But I feel that I do seem to be a bit stranger than a lot of people are. I don't really know what about me exactly makes me "autistic", I don't think I can define that very well. I will say though, that a lot of people see me as rather awkward, and I myself feel awkward. I also have a lot of anxiety. I hope this doesn't effect your view of me, because I don't like to dwell on any of these things, because I like to (maybe naively) believe that these negative characteristics don't define me. 

Also, I would like to mention my user name. I don't know what I was just thinking when I made it, really. Lol. I think that I usually just gravitate towards really dark names, because to be honest it seems like all of my thoughts in general sort of fixate on disturbing stuff. That may explain my anxiety, is - what I've found lately - that I seem to have the inability to really stop thinking about stuff that gives me anxiety. Maybe it's not impossible, I've been trying to focus on taking my mind off of negative stuff, sort of mindful awareness techniques or something. Anyways, I know that my username is pretty disgusting, but to be honest it's just sort of a reflection of how I feel. And I am a big metal fan, so it's not like it isn't apropos lol.

Anyways, I hope that I can get along with you all very well. I just want to be around people who think empirically, and think critically. Atheists are only 10% of the population in America and to be perfectly honest I feel a bit lonely and isolated in the way that I feel on this planet, very much so. I resent almost every single day that I wasn't born 100 or 1000 years in the future. I think being born before technological advancement, in a society which hasn't yet shed it's infantile superstitions, is nothing short of a really sick demented joke. 

I could go into a lot, lot, lot more things, but I don't really know if that would be appropriate, as this introduction is long enough already. I hope you enjoy my posts on this forum, I like writing a lot and I like going on about what's in my head LOL. I'm sure you'll have plenty of opportunities to get a sense of my points of view later on, so I won't go into any detail in here.
RE: Hello
Welcome. Have at it!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Welcome, have fun here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz3l-5X4jLM
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Hey there, welcome! Thanks for introducing yourself Smile

You should get on just fine here. I'd guess at least 75% of the regulars are critical thinkers. We also have some nut balls, of course. You'll find out who they are quickly enough!

Let me know if you need a hand or have any questions.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(October 10, 2016 at 6:48 am)Alex K Wrote: Welcome, have fun here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz3l-5X4jLM

That album is sick. I need to revisit it immediately.
Welcome!

I'm more of a legume ball.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Welcome from California! I'm awkward. 

Whereabouts do you hail from (or do you decline)?
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(October 10, 2016 at 9:19 am)c172 Wrote: Welcome from California! I'm awkward. 

Whereabouts do you hail from (or do you decline)?
Northern Ohio.
Welcome O bloated one.
Hi and welcome!  Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 5962 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3632 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates