Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How the fuck is there a statute of limitations for rape in New York?
How the fuck is there a statute of limitations for rape in New York?
Was reading the other week about the deposition made by a woman for a civil case who said she was raped at thirteen by our hero Donald Trump on the Huffington Post website, and it stated that the statute of limitations in rape cases in NY is five years. How the fuck is this possible, can anybody explain to me.

Over here, all indictable cases (which include rape) have no statute of limitations imposed. That means if the allegation is brought and the Gardaí and Director of Public Prosecutions feel the case is strong enough for trial the only way there's going to be no trial if a) the alleged perpetrator is dead, or b) the judge is satisfied that, after a lot of evidence is brought, usually including expert reports he commissions, the alleged perpetrator is incapable of defending themselves or of standing trial.

Seriously the situation is fucked up if there is a statute of limitiations on rape in the US.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
RE: How the fuck is there a statute of limitations for rape in New York?
What, five years? I hope that isn't true. I don't know why there should ever be any SOL for rape.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Yet people persist in saying that "rape culture" isn't a thing.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I'm thinking catholics wrote the law.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

They get one more year than Ohio here it's 4
How would you prove a rape, five years after the fact? Think practically.

@Summer- probably not an example of rape culture, this specific instance.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 10, 2016 at 3:17 pm)Rhythm Wrote: How would you prove a rape, five years after the fact? Think practically.

@Summer- probably not an example of rape culture, this specific instance.

What if someone admitted to it? Would they get prosecuted or would this SOL protect them?
An interesting question.  The statute of limitations, most people don't know this, only applies to the states ability to pursue a crime.  If you, of your own free will..confess to a crime, you may open yourself to liabilities which you previously had no risk of.

So, pro-tip criminals; If you get away with some shit...maybe don't open your mouths about it?

The notion that time grants one an out, is fostered by media...and probably a little bit by the system itself.....makes us bold, lol. They will find something, to charge you with, if they can...and that's apart from any civil suit. Remember OJ? Found innocent, still paid damages...and that was a miscarriage of justice, a worst case scenario.

SOL's, though, protect us all. It may be that they protect some, insomuch as they do, who shouldn't be protected, but our system (purportedly) errs on the side of innocence regardless of the crime of which you are accused. Nothings perfect.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
So going back to your original question, say the rape victim had a rape kit performed which got the DNA of the attacker, but the DNA was unknown. Now 6 years later the attacker is arrested for some other crime and his DNA is sent to the FBI database, where it matches to the earlier sample. Shouldn't that be enough for an investigation and trial?
I think that would be a great argument for the extension of sol's regarding this offense. Many of them were set at a time when it was difficult to establish a rape the very next day. That;s no longer the case, in every case. Though..one wonders how a longer sol would be applied to a case without such evidence, or when such evidence is inconclusive?

Should we be able bring someone up, 20 years later, on rape charges... over inconclusive dna findings? Pretty easy to get inconclusive dna findings, twenty years later. We do it today, with -some- success, on more recent accusations. Basically using the findings as a pretext to put someones character on trial.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Melania: "Fuck Christmas!" Fake Messiah 17 1351 October 2, 2020 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Liam Neeson: Rape, Revenge, and Race Relations Rev. Rye 233 15746 February 21, 2019 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Fuck Your Property Rights, You Scumbag Bastard Minimalist 0 491 October 1, 2018 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Please Do It, You Dumb Fuck. Sue Him! Minimalist 19 1497 September 6, 2018 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Court of Appeals Tells Alabama Shitheads to "Fuck Off!" Minimalist 6 1120 August 23, 2018 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  What in the fuck is a Patriot Prayer? GODZILLA 18 1633 August 6, 2018 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Never Fuck With A Billionaire's Money! Minimalist 5 638 July 29, 2018 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Then Your Culture Needs A Lot of Work, You Dumb Fuck Minimalist 13 1666 July 23, 2018 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  You Know What? Fuck Him. Minimalist 8 988 May 25, 2018 at 10:53 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  SCOTUS Tells Anti-Abortion Nuts To Go Fuck Themselves Minimalist 294 25510 April 11, 2018 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: vorlon13