Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Are Your Favorite Classic Films/Movies?
What Are Your Favorite Classic Films/Movies?
For me at least, I've enjoyed  quite a few Hitchcock films (The 39 steps, Rope, Saboteur, Dial M for Murder).  I also think Seven Samurai, Rififi, and Mutiny on the Bounty are pretty cool films too.  What about the rest of you? What are your favs?

RE: What Are Your Favorite Classic Films/Movies?
Define "Classic Films." Personally, I'd consider it anything before Blow-Up or Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, since, as an amateur film historian, their demolishing the Hays Code is a convenient enough place to draw a dividing line.

In my case my favorite was Night of the Hunter, third only to A Clockwork Orange and Taxi Driver in my book:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auccmqO45a8
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I liked Molly Ringwald's teen movies, and even Lost In Translation is old, now (2003).
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I don't really know what you mean by "classic", but Goodfellas and the Godfather films are my favourites.
(October 11, 2016 at 12:54 am)Bella Morte Wrote: I don't really know what you mean by "classic", but Goodfellas and the Godfather films are my favourites.

What are your favorite films, which you would consider unique and high quality?

Too many to list. I'm a splitter, not a lumper (cinematically speaking). My favourite classic silent comedy is 'City Lights', my favourite classic sound comedy is 'Some Like It Hot'. My favourite musical with Gene Kelly is 'An American In Paris', my favourite musical without Gene Kelly is 'Paint Your Wagon'. And so on.

I could go on, but this is the point at which peoples' eye tend to go a bit glassy.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Going from Boru's categories:

Favorite Silent Comedy (well, mostly silent, anyway): Modern Times
Favorite Sound Comedy: The Apartment (I am genuinely surprised that it gets so often overshadowed by Some Like it Hot)
Favorite musical: The Band Wagon (Anti-intellectual implications aside)
Favorite Gene Kelly Musical: An American in Paris (it's so close, but the Gershwin ballet really breaks the tie for me)
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who's your favorite serial killer? Foxaèr 9 651 October 6, 2022 at 12:51 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  What's your favorite Weather app? Jehanne 13 1109 July 20, 2022 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Your favorite species. Brian37 43 1974 August 11, 2021 at 1:03 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Incidental Christmas Movies brewer 6 793 December 25, 2020 at 1:14 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  About non European films. Peebothuhlu 4 499 November 15, 2020 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Your favorite meat approximation? Gawdzilla Sama 31 1551 August 29, 2020 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Your Favorite Religious/ Scriptural Quotes chimp3 37 3894 May 6, 2020 at 11:44 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Super hero movies sucks Sanau 7 571 March 29, 2020 at 1:44 pm
Last Post: no one
  Your favorite type of Dog Docto021 23 1498 May 6, 2019 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Where's your favorite place to travel to? EgoDeath 21 2043 March 2, 2019 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: Yonadav