Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Special Report on Sexuality and Gender by New Atlantis
Special Report on Sexuality and Gender by New Atlantis
Simply wanted to draw attention to an interesting Special Report in the New Atlantis. It deals specifically with Sexuality and Gender from a purely scientific perspective. I've just started into it myself and can say that some parts are very enlightening. It's nice to see the topic treated in a manner largely apart from the social and political discussions of the same.

http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publicatio...-fall-2016
RE: Special Report on Sexuality and Gender by New Atlantis
Quote:The New Atlantis, founded in 2003, is a quarterly journal about the social, ethical, political, and policy dimensions of modern science and technology.[1] The journal is published in Washington, D.C. by the social conservative advocacy group the Ethics and Public Policy Center in partnership with the . It is edited by Adam Keiper, who took over in 2007 from founding editor Eric Cohen.

What was that, again?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 13, 2016 at 12:29 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
Quote:The New Atlantis, founded in 2003, is a quarterly journal about the social, ethical, political, and policy dimensions of modern science and technology.[1] The journal is published in Washington, D.C. by the social conservative advocacy group the Ethics and Public Policy Center in partnership with the Center for the Study of Technology and Society. It is edited by Adam Keiper, who took over in 2007 from founding editor Eric Cohen.

What was that, again?

I was talking about the article itself not the authors or editors. Are you saying that it is impossible for any group to give fair-minded treatment of an issue? If you do happen to read it, I welcome any observations you have on the substance of the report.
I'm of the opinion that the substance and conclusion of the report serves the publishers agenda... like everything else they publish, and that you would have preferred that no one did a little basic research.  -Next.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 13, 2016 at 12:46 pm)Rhythm Wrote: I'm of the opinion that the substance and conclusion of the report serves the publishers agenda, like everything else they publish.  Next.

So on this basis we should ignore on all Op-ED pieces?  It's this type of close minded thinking that prohibits rational discussion between people of differing viewpoints.  How can we discuss differing viewpoints if we don't take the time to listen to what the other side has to say?
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
More predictability, lol.

I've already -heard- what chad has to say on this subject, and that he finds this article to be useful is no surprise to me or to anyone familiar with the publishers. Just as it's no surprise that he presented it as some unbiased and purely scientific this that or the other....but lets talk about something else, right? Like close-mindedness, or not listening to another's viewpoint or ignoring all op-ed pieces.

It's conservative, religious, luddite... socio-political propaganda masquerading as a scientific "journal". You wanna go to bat for that Kingpin? Be my guest.
(October 13, 2016 at 12:22 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Simply wanted to draw attention to an interesting Special Report in the New Atlantis. It deals specifically with Sexuality and Gender from a purely scientific perspective. I've just started into it myself and can say that some parts are very enlightening. It's nice to see the topic treated in a manner largely apart from the social and political discussions of the same.

I just had a little bit of read of the article to see if it would interest me enough to read it all later. So I read the part about sexual orientation being fluid and not entirely genetic. Ok, so what? It's never been about that anyway. It's about accepting and respecting each person's identity "choice" and acknowledging their rights as individuals to live their lives the way they see fit, so long as what they do does not infringe upon the rights of others. To me, who you are is who and what you identify with, and not how other people feel they have to define you.
This thing reads like massive opinion article. How is this scientific? I can certainly see how someone would love the anti-LGBT edge to it, though.

[Image: 5ea.jpg]
I don't believe you. Get over it.
(October 13, 2016 at 1:11 pm)Irrational Wrote:
(October 13, 2016 at 12:22 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Simply wanted to draw attention to an interesting Special Report in the New Atlantis. It deals specifically with Sexuality and Gender from a purely scientific perspective. I've just started into it myself and can say that some parts are very enlightening. It's nice to see the topic treated in a manner largely apart from the social and political discussions of the same.

I just had a little bit of read of the article to see if it would interest me enough to read it all later. So I read the part about sexual orientation being fluid and not entirely genetic. Ok, so what? It's never been about that anyway. It's about accepting and respecting each person's identity "choice" and acknowledging their rights as individuals to live their lives the way they see fit, so long as what they do does not infringe upon the rights of others. To me, who you are is who and what you identify with, and not how other people feel they have to define you.

I've never held the view that it was biologically fixed anyway... as in literally born this way. Just essentially born this way through environmental learning that happens as you're growing up and largely under the radar... and probably with some genetic contribution directly or indirectly to certain aspects of it. That's my view. So if this report is plugging that with an agenda, it makes no difference to me; environmentally learned vs biologically fixed is presumably to the Christian the difference between changeable and not changeable, accountable and not accountable. But to me, subconscious learning in childhood is no more changeable or accountable than something that was fixed biologically by genetics. So this distinction they seem to be trying to highlight is a moot point to me.
(October 13, 2016 at 12:53 pm)Rhythm Wrote: More predictability, lol.

I've already -heard- what chad has to say on this subject, and that he finds this article to be useful is no surprise to me or to anyone familiar with the publishers.  Just as it's no surprise that he presented it as some unbiased and purely scientific this that or the other....but lets talk about something else, right?  Like close-mindedness, or not listening to another's viewpoint or ignoring all op-ed pieces.

It's conservative, religious, luddite... socio-political propaganda masquerading as a scientific "journal".  You wanna go to bat for that Kingpin?  Be my guest.

I didn't say I wanted to go to bat for it, but I expect people to take time to read differing viewpoint and discuss it on its substance rather than bypass it altogether on the pre-conceived viewpoint of the author(s).  Just saying, either give it an objective look over and discuss it, or if you prefer to ignore than do everyone a favor and ignore posting about it.  

The discussion is not about your opinion of the author and your presumptions.  You've already labeled and stereotyped both the author and the content of the article without reading a single sentence.  That is close-mindedness and bigotry at its finest.
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Special Relativity. Lifetime. Stoneheart 120 7788 December 6, 2019 at 12:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Raising Gender Normative Children Acrobat 8 701 February 15, 2019 at 1:44 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  [Serious] Please convince me gender is binary tackattack 189 12108 February 13, 2019 at 12:22 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Transgender kids’ brains resemble their gender identity, not their biological sex Foxaèr 19 3267 May 23, 2018 at 10:06 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Gender Identity Disorder? I don't think so! :D Violet 25 13495 August 27, 2012 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: Violet
  What is so special about us?!? Tiberius 67 19354 February 14, 2010 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Purple Rabbit