Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Is there objective Truth?
Is there objective Truth?
Is there ultimate, immaterial, Universal, objective truth? Objective truth would not be persuaded by authority figures, but rather dictated by nature. And while we may never achieve 100% truth during the human experience, the goal is to be as close to the truth as possible.

Or... is truth subjective. And we determine how sure we are via confidence levels. Truth is persuaded by authority figures, and dictaded as such.

Recources:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth
http://www.debate.org/opinions/is-truth-objective

Not making a claim just yet, although it should be obvious what the answer is. What are your opinions? Smile
RE: Is there objective Truth?
As near as we can tell yes, at least empirically speaking.
(October 13, 2016 at 3:21 pm)Soldat Du Christ Wrote: Is there ultimate, immaterial, Universal, objective truth? Objective truth would not be persuaded by authority figures, but rather dictated by nature. And while we may never achieve 100% truth during the human experience, the goal is to be as close to the truth as possible.

Or... is truth subjective. And we determine how sure we are via confidence levels. Truth is persuaded by authority figures, and dictaded as such.

Recources:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth
http://www.debate.org/opinions/is-truth-objective

Not making a claim just yet, although it should be obvious what the answer is. What are your opinions? Smile

Then no.
A good starting point would be to define how you're using 'truth.' Linking us to a list of its history of uses doesn't really help as a starting point.

If your definition of truth is merely "a reality that exists independent of the minds perceiving it." Then I'd say yes. But again you have to define this stuff.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
What is truth?
What's an example of objective truth?
@OP
IDK. If there is, I don't possess it and have never seen it expressed.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 13, 2016 at 3:24 pm)Napoléon Wrote: What is truth?

Baby don't hurt me?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(October 13, 2016 at 3:21 pm)Soldat Du Christ Wrote: Is there ultimate, immaterial, Universal, objective truth? Objective truth would not be persuaded by authority figures, but rather dictated by nature. And while we may never achieve 100% truth during the human experience, the goal is to be as close to the truth as possible.

People's opinions about the Principle of Non-Contradiction usually serve as bell-weathers for how they will answer. Some will say that it is a rule of thought contingent on evolved mental abilities and as such not certain. Some say that it only describes empirical experience. My own opinion is that the PNC is non-contingent and proscriptive absolute. As such it would count as objective truth.
@Whateverist, do you not believe that non material things exist? For example gravity? Mathematics? Laws of logic? Truth is fact, by definition. Do you not believe in facts? These are all in fact immaterial.

@Irrational, see above. If all the vessels capable of interpretation disapeared, these immaterial laws would still govern the universe.

@FatAndFaithless, "conformity with fact or reality" source below. My apologies i should have been more clear Smile

Recources:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...h-excerpt/
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/truth

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Is The Truth. disobey 81 6493 August 21, 2023 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3091 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What is truth. deepend 50 2895 March 31, 2022 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The Truth deepend 130 4555 March 24, 2022 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The Truth about Ethnicity onlinebiker 41 2609 September 2, 2020 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Objective Standard for Goodness! chimp3 33 5650 June 14, 2018 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8219 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 13614 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Does the head follow the heart in matters of truth? Angrboda 63 8793 March 19, 2018 at 7:42 am
Last Post: John V
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4409 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger