Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Universe is bigger than was thought.
The Universe is bigger than was thought.
Is anyone really surprised by this:

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive...s/2016/39/

Still incredible.
RE: The Universe is bigger than was thought.
If they look far enough and deep enough, there has got to be some ylem out there.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(October 13, 2016 at 6:31 pm)Jehanne Wrote: Is anyone really surprised by this:

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive...s/2016/39/

Still incredible.

Frankly I"m not really surprised, just mildly interested.  Now if they ever find a way to detect the presence of something far, far beyond beyond the rest, that alters something we think we know about this universe .. would be kind of cool.  More single bang fall out .. meh.
Hubble (the astronomer, not the telescope) worked out the universe was expanding with galaxies spread over a (comparatively) tiny distance away from us compared to what his namesake telescope can detect.

I don't if any of the new (earth based) telescope proposals are designed to, let's say, equal the Hubble telescopes magnitude limit in a much shorter time than Hubble does and cover a much larger chunk of the sky while doing it, but clearly, the utility of such a telescope is evident.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(October 13, 2016 at 11:41 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Hubble (the astronomer, not the telescope) worked out the universe was expanding with galaxies spread over a (comparatively) tiny distance away from us compared to what his namesake telescope can detect.

I don't if any of the new (earth based) telescope proposals are designed to, let's say, equal the Hubble telescopes magnitude limit in a much shorter time than Hubble does and cover a much larger chunk of the sky while doing it, but clearly, the utility of such a telescope is evident.

There's the OWL telescope (now canceled, but still possible someday):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overwhelmi..._Telescope

It's design is for a telescope that is 100 meters across.  I still have my 10.1-inch Odyssey Telescope (now defunct) that I bought in the early 80s:

[Image: coulter10.jpg]

It's incredible what one can see with this thing, from 43x up to 192x (in magnification).  I grew-up in a fundamentalist, evangelical Church and was often told that the "Universe was created with age", but when one looks it, of course, it is younger the farther out one goes!  And, of course, why "God" would be so meticulous in creating crater after crater on the Moon, some on top of each other while ignoring some other areas (maria) was enough for me, as a high school student, to abandon the whole monstrosity of Biblical inerrancy.
Soooo...a trillion galaxies, is what they're saying? Good fucking gawd.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
I'm just waiting for someone to complain about science and how it's always changing.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
I'm not surprised one bit. It's incredible though
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
This makes me feel even shorter now Sad
Science annoys the crap out of me. Always changing. Make up your mind.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible that the universe could be eternal??... dave4shmups 145 15600 August 9, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The Universe Is Not Locally Real Foxaèr 52 4932 December 31, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Infinite Universe? JairCrawford 13 1149 May 4, 2022 at 5:17 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Now we know when the first stars in the universe switched on Foxaèr 1 397 June 28, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Another universe existed before ours Foxaèr 27 2383 November 29, 2020 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Watching a show "How The Universe Works" Brian37 13 1838 July 24, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Total stars in Universe is rougly equal to the total number (ever) of human cells. Jehanne 39 6166 May 24, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  An infinite, beginningless and eternal Universe is taken seriously by scientists. Jehanne 20 3820 March 18, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  What Does Gravity Have To Do WithThe Expanding Universe? Rhondazvous 42 5890 February 26, 2018 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Just When I Thought I Understood the Big Bang Rhondazvous 19 2511 January 23, 2018 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: polymath257