Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Christian Self-censorship of Dirty Words
Christian Self-censorship of Dirty Words
Do you ever notice that some people, usually extremely religious people, just totally lose their shit when dirty words are spoken? You can be talking about sensitive adult-subjects, like Trump's sexual assault, and they're totally fine with defending the Gropenfuhrer, but quote Trump by using the word 'pussy' in a sentence and suddenly YOU are the person who is beyond the pale.

Why is this? Why is propriety for some defined as a list of forbidden words? Why is it that words in the conversation clearly bother some people more than the heinous implications of the conversation?
RE: Christian Self-censorship of Dirty Words
I have no fucking clue Big Grin
(October 14, 2016 at 4:32 pm)mihoda Wrote: Do you ever notice that some people, usually extremely religious people, just totally lose their shit when dirty words are spoken? You can be talking about sensitive adult-subjects, like Trump's sexual assault, and they're totally fine with defending the Gropenfuhrer, but quote Trump by using the word 'pussy' in a sentence and suddenly YOU are the person who is beyond the pale.

Why is this? Why is propriety for some defined as a list of forbidden words? Why is it that words in the conversation clearly bother some people more than the heinous implications of the conversation?

I stopped reading right here.

I've seen and heard atheists censor themselves as well.
My brother sometimes mentions a service that edits movies for language and content to make them 'acceptable' viewing.

I am very fond of the more colorful side of language, but am very conscious of my surroundings in public. I won't use certain language when there's a reasonable chance it will be overheard, particularly when pre-teens are around; think airplanes and restaurants. If I'm at a concert or an adult only venue like a bar I'll let fly. If someone brings kids into these environments with an expectation of no foul language, fuck 'em.
I don't usually use swear words unless I'm with close friends. It isn't something I do publicly, whether that be in person or on my social media accounts, forums, etc. I always censor in those cases.

For me, it doesn't have anything to do with religion. It's just how I was brought up.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
I think it kinda depends on if someone has children or works around them.
Not quite sure if this is on the same level but here goes. Jimmy Carter quote: "I've looked on a lot of women with lust. I've committed adultery in my heart many times."

Basically, if he thought about it he had committed a sin. Is this what the religious believe? 

OK, back to the thread, I censor myself as much as the situation requires. Sometimes I won't swear at all and still catch hell from the uptight. I can only assume they heard the "dirty word" or saw the "dirty image" in their head.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I try to be mindful around strangers.

(October 14, 2016 at 4:32 pm)mihoda Wrote: Do you ever notice that some people, usually extremely religious people, just totally lose their shit when dirty words are spoken? You can be talking about sensitive adult-subjects, like Trump's sexual assault, and they're totally fine with defending the Gropenfuhrer, but quote Trump by using the word 'pussy' in a sentence and suddenly YOU are the person who is beyond the pale.

Oh, my GLOB, I never noticed!   Wink
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
I think it depends more on the person and the situation. I never swear around my child as she needs to learn how to articulate herself in complete sentences without coarse language.

However, I've been known to mutter curse words under my breath during, say, a bad day at work.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Destruction of self confidence debunk_pls 50 5124 November 19, 2021 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: emjay
  The implications of Obama's words at the Charleston shooting memorial. Duty 21 1893 April 13, 2021 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 88912 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Christian trigger words Nihilist Virus 173 20579 April 12, 2019 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Truer Words Were Never Spoken Minimalist 9 2463 April 23, 2018 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  What beliefs would we consider reasonable for a self proclaimed Christian to hold? Whateverist 853 71769 April 16, 2018 at 4:26 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Discounting God in two words. Foxaèr 41 5209 April 2, 2016 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: athrock
  A few choice words id say. dyresand 50 9794 October 9, 2015 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  A picture can say a thousand words. dyresand 10 2416 June 9, 2015 at 11:40 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Christianity and its effect on self-worth Strider 210 23432 January 8, 2015 at 11:47 am
Last Post: robvalue