Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump voters, explained
Trump voters, explained
This article on Cracked is, for one thing, not humorous at all, but takes a serious look at why Trump voters even exist.
I already had a little understanding of their anger, resentment and disenfranchisement.  I know a lot of Trump voters feel like they are at the bottom and being pushed ever further downward.  But this article did a better job of explaining why than I could have.

how half of America went insane

Quote:The theme expresses itself in several ways -- primitive vs. advanced, tough vs. delicate, masculine vs. feminine, poor vs. rich, pure vs. decadent, traditional vs. weird. All of it is code for rural vs. urban. That tense divide between the two doesn't exist because of these movies, obviously. These movies used it as shorthand because the divide already existed.

We country folk are programmed to hate the prissy elites. That brings us to Trump.
This is true.  In big epic movies, usually the poor farmer is the hero, and the rich city dwellers are the bad guys.  

Quote:If you'd asked me at the time, I'd have said the fear and hatred wasn't of people with brown skin, but of that specific tribe they have in Chicago -- you know, the guys with the weird slang, music and clothes, the dope fiends who murder everyone they see. It was all part of the bizarro nature of the cities, as perceived from afar -- a combination of hyper-aggressive savages and frivolous white elites. Their ways are strange. And it wasn't like pop culture was trying to talk me out of it:
It is like us vs them.

Quote:It's not just perception, either -- the stats back up the fact that these are parallel universes. People living in the countryside are twice as likely to own a gun and will probably get married younger. People in the urban "blue" areas talk faster and walk faster. They are more likely to be drug abusers but less likely to be alcoholics. The blues are less likely to own land and, most importantly, they're less likely to be Evangelical Christians.
[Image: 577538_v2.jpg]
Mario Tama/Getty Images
A day without hellfire and brimstone is like a day without sunshine.
In the small towns, this often gets expressed as "They don't share our values!" and my progressive friends love to scoff at that. "What, like illiteracy and homophobia?!?!"
Nope. Everything.

This seems to be what is driving the huge political divide in our country.  WE see them as backwards, racist, homophobic, mysogonistic barbarians, and they see us as, well, I think they see us as a new version of Sodom and Gamora.  God will destroy us all, and take them with us, even though all this sinning city living isn't their fault.

Anyway, the article is really spot on.  I was born and raised on a farm, but both of my parents are liberal.  My dad was born in a big city, my mom was a country girl who had gone to the city and been successful, then returned to the country to raise a family.  But they both retained their city values, and it CLASHED.  I remember when my Catholic grade school teachers were handing the kids Vote for Reagan buttons, my mom just lost her shit! How dare they influence her kids with politics!  Of course, she was almost alone.  Everyone around us wanted to vote for Reagan, she was a little island of liberalism in a sea of conservatives. 

To this day, most of my old friends remain conservative.  As a kid, I didn't care of course, but now I see it. Those who stayed in the little town, even the ones I have always viewed as very intelligent, remain conservative.  I'm guessing at least some are voting for Trump.  I know they all hate Hillary, never see a word about how bad Trump is, though.
The few of us who moved to cities and got a college education or became part of the arts or technology are different, though.   Even an old boyfirend I keep in contact with, he moved to the city and has stayed very, very poor, but his views are socially progressive. 

This feels like a mini civil war.  Brother against brother, which one stayed in the small town, which stayed on the farm.  Can the 2 ever reconcile their views?  I'm tired of unfollowing my friends on facebook.  I'm becoming reclusive because I live in a fairly rural town, it's very red.  I can't talk to hardly any neighbor without it coming up, and then I have to bite my tongue or become even more of a social pariah.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
RE: Trump voters, explained
(October 16, 2016 at 1:12 pm)Aroura Wrote: This seems to be what is driving the huge political divide in our country.  WE see them as backwards, racist, homophobic, mysogonistic barbarians, and they see us as, well, I think they see us as a new version of Sodom and Gamora.  God will destroy us all, and take them with us, even though all this sinning city living isn't their fault.

It's not as simple. We have these people on our very board, sometimes atheists, sometimes theists. Got nothing to do with god, but everything with prejudices and (in many instances) the feeling of being left behind. They look for the easy solutions and people like Trump - there are European and Asian versions of that turd after all - serve that.

They don't present real solutions, but they offer something to feel better than group X, Y or Z. In most instances tied to some flag that can be waved. And they claim if group X, Y or Z is removed from society, everything will be fine and dandy.

Many people fall for that. Not even all uneducated, but all of them social illiterates.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(October 16, 2016 at 2:02 pm)abaris Wrote:
(October 16, 2016 at 1:12 pm)Aroura Wrote: This seems to be what is driving the huge political divide in our country.  WE see them as backwards, racist, homophobic, mysogonistic barbarians, and they see us as, well, I think they see us as a new version of Sodom and Gamora.  God will destroy us all, and take them with us, even though all this sinning city living isn't their fault.

It's not as simple. We have these people on our very board, sometimes atheists, sometimes theists. Got nothing to do with god, but everything with prejudices and (in many instances) the feeling of being left behind. They look for the easy solutions and people like Trump - there are European and Asian versions of that turd after all - serve that.

They don't present real solutions, but they offer something to feel better than group X, Y or Z. In most instances tied to some flag that can be waved. And they claim if group X, Y or Z is removed from society, everything will be fine and dandy.

Many people fall for that. Not even all uneducated, but all of them social illiterates.

Oh, I didn't mean to say all of them are uneducated or religious.  My closes old friend isn't religious at all, but seems to like Trump. She's also got some higher education.  But yes, she feels left behind. Perhaps literally, as she stayed in our small hometown, while others moved to the cities.

Did you read the article?  As I said, it says things better than I do.  Those people do feel left behind, and often feel at the bottom of society.
I can understand the impulse to just blow it all up if the status quo is bad enough. Just hate to see desperate people jump out of the frying pan right into the fire.
Yeah, here in rural Texas there are several different kinds of Trumpeteers -- smart, dumb, businessmen, methheads, etc.

(October 16, 2016 at 2:58 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Yeah, here in rural Texas there are several different kinds of Trumpeteers -- smart, dumb, businessmen, methheads, etc.

Yes, but pretty much all are disenfranchised.  That is the point I was trying to make. :p  
Neither I nor the article said all are religious, or uneducated, or even poor. 
They are mostly rural though there are some city Trumpsters too.  It's just an interesting look at the demographics of liberal (mostly urban) and conservative (mostly rural).   And some good reasons why urban and rural people often have different values.

I'm a small town rural girl myself, so I'm not saying ALL of anything, but these demographics are real, and getting more and more divided along these lines.
(October 16, 2016 at 2:36 pm)Whateverist Wrote: I can understand the impulse to just blow it all up if the status quo is bad enough.  Just hate to see desperate people jump out of the frying pan right into the fire.

People falling for figures like that may be desperate, but they need to have a solid dose of malice in the mix to be susceptible for that kind of message.

I have all the sympathy in the world for desperate people, but I have none for people kicking down on minorities.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Drumpfucks are easy to understand.....flies always land on shit.
Trump voters explained , awful people have a vote too.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

This was a wonderful article. Although I think anyone voting for Trump is making a huge uninformed mistake, I can still empathize with people living in the worse-off rural areas. They are getting the short end of the stick at least as much as I am these days.
I don't believe you. Get over it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are more Trump signs indicative of Trump winning? Dingo 15 1063 October 1, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Most British voters support violence on brexit downbeatplumb 17 1490 October 30, 2019 at 9:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Trump VS Trump (not exactly political news but I have no idea where to post this) Cepheus Ace 0 36913 February 12, 2019 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
  New Jersey Voters Did Pay Attention Minimalist 2 528 November 15, 2018 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Independent Voters on the trump presidency Joods 31 2668 October 18, 2018 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Australia: Martyr complex among "no" voters GrandizerII 39 4685 November 21, 2017 at 7:30 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  The GOP once again suppressing voters who disagree with them NuclearEnergy 27 6948 June 20, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Up yours you racist, misogynist, ignorant Trump voters. Whateverist 11 2560 April 10, 2017 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  I'm awfully confused: how do Trump supporters relate to Trump NuclearEnergy 11 3167 March 7, 2017 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Is Trump's election bad for Trump's businesses? Jehanne 22 4133 November 15, 2016 at 1:03 am
Last Post: CWoods