Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Is Deism a "cop out"?
Is Deism a "cop out"?
I know little about Deism, but it appears to me like it's just a copout, a way to say that God exists and did create our universe without having to accept all the B.S. that traditionally comes with believing in God. It also sounds pointless; obviously if we were able to prove God created the universe and fucked off, it would be a huge deal. But at this point in time, all you're doing is replacing our non-explanation for the universe with God. And that's when it ends. You could say that anything created the universe / caused the Big Bang. What's the point in saying a God did it other than wishful thinking? And, from a religious standpoint, what's the point in believing a God that has no impact on your life? 

Are there any Deists or former Deists here?
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
RE: Is Deism a "cop out"?
I don't know if it's a copout or not. Sometimes people like to try to prove a theistic god by saying "The universe had to come from somewhere, therefor Jehova/Jesus/Allah". When all it really does is get you as far as a deistic god. So is it a copout, or just a way to kill certain arguments?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

'Cop out' kinda implies a conscious decision, so I wouldn't use it in reference to a belief. Unless it's like something you tell your religious parents to not hurt their feelings but stop them from making you go to church or whatever.
As to what's the point in it, there isn't one. It's a belief. Something people view as true for varying reasons. I don't think it can have a point really.
I would say that largely it is true that deism is a cop out.  I mean, you still get to sleep in on Sundays and you save a shitload of money - just like atheists - but you can fall back on a nice fairy tale for comfort if you like.
It's filling the gaps without having to put up with the disgusting parts of religion.

I went there for the longest time in my life. Believing in a total neutral force making the universe tick. But if it's a total neutral force, it doesn't need deism either. That's why I ended up where I am now.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Do deists owe anyone something? Should god related belief decisions be considered both urgent and important by everyone?

If not, then no it isn't a cop out.
(October 16, 2016 at 1:13 pm)Aegon Wrote: I know little about Deism, but it appears to me like it's just a copout, a way to say that God exists and did create our universe without having to accept all the B.S. that traditionally comes with believing in God. It also sounds pointless; obviously if we were able to prove God created the universe and fucked off, it would be a huge deal. But at this point in time, all you're doing is replacing our non-explanation for the universe with God. And that's when it ends. You could say that anything created the universe / caused the Big Bang. What's the point in saying a God did it other than wishful thinking? And, from a religious standpoint, what's the point in believing a God that has no impact on your life? 

Exactly what specific BS is "traditional" when it comes to believing in God?

Some of the oldest "traditions" call God, The Hidden One....which is exactly what "amen" means.
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
Cop out? No. Archaic? Yes. Seemed a good position to take before Darwinian evolution and the Big Bang became part of the picture.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(October 16, 2016 at 1:23 pm)Vic Wrote: As to what's the point in it, there isn't one. It's a belief. Something people view as true for varying reasons. I don't think it can have a point really.

You're right. But say one is a practicing Catholic, and decides that the God they've been taught just doesn't add up with the knowledge we have today. But still wants there to be a God. They'd be forced into Deistic belief. However, they now lose the ability to feel and connect with God. So they've lost one of the main benefits to religious belief; faith that there is something out there controlling everything that means well.

IMO, it may be more depressing to think that we were created by something and immediately abandoned, implying that our diverse, complex lives are not relevant to our creator.

(October 16, 2016 at 2:34 pm)Arkilogue Wrote:
(October 16, 2016 at 1:13 pm)Aegon Wrote: I know little about Deism, but it appears to me like it's just a copout, a way to say that God exists and did create our universe without having to accept all the B.S. that traditionally comes with believing in God. It also sounds pointless; obviously if we were able to prove God created the universe and fucked off, it would be a huge deal. But at this point in time, all you're doing is replacing our non-explanation for the universe with God. And that's when it ends. You could say that anything created the universe / caused the Big Bang. What's the point in saying a God did it other than wishful thinking? And, from a religious standpoint, what's the point in believing a God that has no impact on your life? 

Exactly what specific BS is "traditional" when it comes to believing in God?

Some of the oldest "traditions" call God, The Hidden One....which is exactly what "amen" means.

I was thinking along the lines of Abrahamic religions, and the holy books that control them. So many former Christians deconverted once they realized the problems with the Bible. With Deism, you get to subtract nearly all of those contradictions until you have...just God. God without the problems you get from believing the Bible or Quoran are holy code meant to be followed and respected.

I always accidentally "Christianize" things when I talk about religion. I forget how diverse religion can be, and how different religion has been throughout history.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Arguments against Deism and for religion. Mystic 32 12661 March 12, 2016 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Deism vs Religion (Non-guidance vs guidance). Mystic 21 3844 March 1, 2016 at 2:18 am
Last Post: robvalue
  NOMA and Deism vs. the Material World Michael Schubert 11 3994 September 7, 2013 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Michael Schubert
  An argument against Deism. Mystic 4 2443 May 7, 2013 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Deism FallentoReason 3 1644 October 26, 2012 at 12:28 am
Last Post: FallentoReason
  Deism for non-believers FallentoReason 99 39714 June 29, 2012 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Leadership, Deism vs Religion/Islam... Mystic 0 1494 June 25, 2012 at 1:14 am
Last Post: Mystic