Our server costs ~$33 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: 23rd January 2017, 21:05

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Supernatural Evidence?
Supernatural Evidence?
Alright self-proclaimed athiests, this is where your integrity is put into question. As some of you will so valiantly declair nuetrality, the default position being a lack of belief in god, rather than being closed off to the possibility.

Taking that stance will leave you inlcined to be open to the supernatural, as the very idea of God implies supernatural. This isn't a 'GOTCHA' question, i have a following proposition.

So, are you open to supernatural evidence?
RE: Supernatural Evidence?
Deities themselves may be considered supernatural.

However, even if you proved the existence of other supernatural beings, ghosts, for instance, that would not be evidence of the existence of deities.

I'm open to evidence. However, please remember our 30/30 rule about posting links.
Never trust a crazy woman.

Angel

(17th October 2016, 20:49)Soldat Du Christ Wrote: Alright self-proclaimed athiests, this is where your integrity is put into question. As some of you will so valiantly declair nuetrality, the default position being a lack of belief in god, rather than being closed off to the possibility.

Taking that stance will leave you inlcined to be open to the supernatural, as the very idea of God implies supernatural. This isn't a 'GOTCHA' question, i have a following proposition.

This is a 'GOTCHA' question though. You are trying to pin us down on a singular position. The supernatural doesn't have anything to do with atheism unless it is the question of a god. Many of us are skeptics, though, and that has plenty to do with the supernatural.

That is why I will not accept supernatural claims until you present the evidence. This does not mean I am not 'open to the supernatural'. I am willing to be convinced if there is enough reason. So far there is none that I am aware of.

Now with that being said, there are atheists who are not skeptics. Would you like me to find you some atheists who do accept some supernatural claims? I can certainly find some. I even know of at least one on this forum.
(17th October 2016, 20:49)Soldat Du Christ Wrote: Alright self-proclaimed athiests, this is where your integrity is put into question. As some of you will so valiantly declair nuetrality, the default position being a lack of belief in god, rather than being closed off to the possibility.

Yes, absolutely.  Let "god" heal a 1,000 adult amputees of his/her/its own choosing and I will renounce my atheism publicly, right on this board!
Quote:So, are you open to supernatural evidence?

Define "supernatural evidence."

And if its just your imagination don't even bother.

Nope, no credible evidence. All man made fantasy delusion. 

My guess is that you now will or will not provide evidence. 

Understand that "we don't know" does not equal "supernatural".

OK, GO.
God(s) and religions are man made and the bane of humanity. 

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. Ozzy or Twain/take your pick
(17th October 2016, 20:49)Soldat Du Christ Wrote: So, are you open to supernatural evidence?

As long as it's testable, repeatable, verifiable and (most importantly) falsifiable.
"Crooked Warden, Nameless Thirteenth, Thiefwatcher, Benefactor, Father of Necessary Pretexts, I will fear no darkness for the night is yours, Your night is my cloak, my shield, my escape from those who hunt to feed the noose. I will fear no evil, for you have made the night my friend.

Bless the Benefactor, Peace and profit to his children."

From the book "Red Seas Under Red Skies" by Scott Lynch
The supernatural does not obey natural law. Since evidence means that it supports the existence of the claimed existent, the question is: how can I make an inference to the supernatural if the supernatural do not obey the normal rules for making an inference? If I suppose that a fish exists, I support that position by relating how the presumed fish is related to the observed phenomena by the natural laws which all things obey. But if you tell me that God did X, how do I draw a chain of cause and effect back to a God who doesn't obey cause and effect? Maybe it was God. Maybe it was ghosts. Maybe it was an alien who can transcend what I know of natural law. Lacking a causal story, there is no way to draw an inference as to the cause of X. If by open to supernatural evidence you mean that I am willing to listen to your prattle, sure. On the larger question of whether there can be valid evidence of the supernatural, I'm decidedly skeptical, for the reasons given.
[Image: splashing.jpg]
If something is real, then it is natural.  Example: The Higgs boson is not "supernatural" just because we don't fully understand it.
Supernatural is nonexistent by definition.
If something "violates" a natural law, then our description of the natural phenomenon is simply inaccurate/incomplete.

If Yahweh exists, even outside of what we call "time and space", then Yahweh is natural.
If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
I'm not sure what you mean by "supernatural evidence." Could you be more specific?
"Well, it's got to be a chocolate jesus, make me feel good inside.  Got to be a chocolate Jesus, to keep me satisfied."  - Tom Waits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evidence for the existence of God Yadayadayada 145 2822 21st January 2017, 09:03
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  What would you consider to be evidence for God? Psychonaut 591 62963 29th December 2016, 15:53
Last Post: Astreja
Question How Much Evidence Will It Take You To Believe In God??? Edward John 370 6331 16th November 2016, 04:03
Last Post: robvalue
  Religion doesn't need evidence purplepurpose 105 2098 26th October 2016, 19:17
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Not All Demand Evidence chimp3 28 1033 22nd September 2016, 21:03
Last Post: Jehanne
  What would evidence of a God even look like? Excited Penguin 153 4945 12th September 2016, 09:05
Last Post: Alasdair Ham
  Evidence for atheist claims Wryetui 629 27696 10th June 2016, 12:22
Last Post: madog
  Can't prove the supernatural God maestroanth 235 7475 4th June 2016, 11:38
Last Post: SilverFrog
  Why the bible ISN'T evidence. Socratic Meth Head 34 3165 11th April 2016, 00:57
Last Post: an0nemus
  Theist "You are Evidence" argument. Socratic Meth Head 35 2995 19th March 2016, 10:35
Last Post: Esquilax