Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ask a guitarist ...
Ask a guitarist ...
... anything you damned-well please.

RE: Ask a guitarist ...
Do you agree with all other right-thinking guitarists that nylon strings are an abomination, and that anyone who uses them should be bitch-slapped by Brian May?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
What's cooler, 7 string or 8 string? Big Grin
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(October 18, 2016 at 4:05 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Do you agree with all other right-thinking guitarists that nylon strings are an abomination, and that anyone who uses them should be bitch-slapped by Brian May?

Boru

Not at all, if it's got strings and frets, I'm not picky about what the strings or frets are made of. Truth be told, I once played an oud -- fretless twelve-string gut-string ... but you have to promise not to tell anyone.

Great nylon-stringed playing here, tell me Bola ain't gettin' it:

(October 18, 2016 at 4:16 am)Alex K Wrote: What's cooler, 7 string or 8 string? Big Grin

Less is more -- six-string rules the roost.

Unless we're talking 12-string. Smile

So, no Djenty djent for you, huh Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(October 18, 2016 at 4:29 am)Alex K Wrote: So, no Djenty djent for you, huh Smile

That's why there's bassists, bud.

How old were you when you picked up guitaring? Who taught you? 
Did you have a guitar with you, during your time spent overseas?

Ever taught anyone to play? 
Would you teach me? Are you patient?
Who's your favourite guitarist? What's your favourite guitar? What's your opinion of buckethead? What are your favourite genres of music to play? What are some of the best comliments/reactions to your guitar playing you've had? What recording equipment do you use? I'm just talking about the daw not all the microphones and so on. Have you ever considered using your music knowledge to produce different genres of music using different instruments? Do you play other instruments? What other instrument would you like to learn the most? Have you ever been in a band or are you now?

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(October 18, 2016 at 4:37 am)Thena323 Wrote: How old were you when you picked up guitaring?

(October 18, 2016 at 4:37 am)Thena323 Wrote: Who taught you?

A few. In 8th grade I took a guitar class (back when American schools had music education!) -- Jerry Pernell was my first teacher. Old folk songs, nothing special. In 9th grade, Jim Burkell fought and won against my desire to learn Judas Priest, and insisted on me learning fingerstyle. So I did.

I spent the next few years teaching myself out of books, but in college I studied classical guitar with Carlos Gonzales and Jim Ryder. I later took private lessons in jazz from the late Raj Rathor, a student of Lenny Breau's.

(October 18, 2016 at 4:37 am)Thena323 Wrote: Did you have a guitar with you, during your time spent overseas?

I hadn't started playing when I lived in Iran -- but that's where I got the urge. I heard ELO on the radio one day, "Do Ya", and golly, those chunky chords set me on a different road.

(October 18, 2016 at 4:37 am)Thena323 Wrote: Ever taught anyone to play? 

Not formally, but I've done a lot of informal teaching sessions.

(October 18, 2016 at 4:37 am)Thena323 Wrote: Would you teach me? Are you patient?

The real question is, are you patient? Smile We pick it up thinking we're going to sound like Joe Whatzawho'sit next week, and when that doesn't pan out, the poor guitar gets stuck in the closet gathering dust and not applause. Raj told me the best thing I've heard about guitarin' -- "The beauty of the instrument is that it's easy to learn, but impossible to master" -- and it's true. 36 years into it, and I still feel like when I pick it up, I'm continuing a voyage into uncharted waters.

I'd be happy to give you lessons, in writing or via Skype if that works for you. Or, you could drive your butt out here to Casa del Tompalompico and we can sit on the porch and pick some git-ar and grill a couple of steaks and jam with the birds. Smile

(October 18, 2016 at 5:07 am)paulpablo Wrote: Who's your favourite guitarist?

Gosh, I really don't have one. I love a lot of 'em. Eric Johnson, a fellow Texan, is pretty close to it for me. Larry Carlton, too. Guy from the old New Wave band Television, Richard Lloyd, is great -- he always sounds like he's about to fall off the rails, but pulls it out right at the last moment. Elliot Easton, from the Cars. Joe Satriani. Wes Montgomery. Jeff Beck. My biggest influence is probably Alex Lifeson from Rush, and for good reason -- he's a well-rounded player, lead, rhythm, and texture as well.

(October 18, 2016 at 5:07 am)paulpablo Wrote: What's your favourite guitar?

Right now? Smile

My #1 for 15 years was a 73 Les Paul. I went through an acoustic phase, sold all my electric gear, and when I returned to electric 7 years later, got a Gibson SG. I've been an SG guy ever since -- wider array of tones than any guitar aside from a Telecaster.

Right now, my favorite is my Ibanez AS93. My SG is sulking in the corner, but it cain't do blues like that fatbody.

(October 18, 2016 at 5:07 am)paulpablo Wrote: What's your opinion of buckethead?

I've never heard his playing, believe it or not. I've heard great things about him, and should probably look up some of his songs. If you've got suggestions, I'm all ears.

(October 18, 2016 at 5:07 am)paulpablo Wrote: What are your favourite genres of music to play?

Blues, rock, and both influenced by jazz. I do the strummy-acoustic-thing-on-my-porch as well.

(October 18, 2016 at 5:07 am)paulpablo Wrote: What are some of the best comliments/reactions to your guitar playing you've had?

The best reaction to my playing has been a dance-floor filling up when we went into "Hurricane" or "Breakdown", something that got asses moving. Others --

-- A sweet kiss and perhaps a little more

-- "Damn, Thump, that's how I want to play."

-- "Dad, my friends say you rip."

-- Same son, falling asleep to some fingerpicking.

(October 18, 2016 at 5:07 am)paulpablo Wrote: What recording equipment do you use? I'm just talking about the daw not all the microphones and so on.

I haven't recorded my own music in almost two decades. I write and play. I should probably get something for recording ... maybe a producer. Smile

(October 18, 2016 at 5:07 am)paulpablo Wrote: Have you ever considered using your music knowledge to produce different genres of music using different instruments? Do you play other instruments?

Yep. When I was recording my own songs, I worked through a variety of genres -- rock, jazz, funk/fusion, R&B, country, and even a hip-hop-sorta-thing. I play bass, keys, and drums in addition to guitar, and on most of my demos played all but bass. I'll play any sort of music, any time, anywhere.

Funny story -- when deployed to Riyadh shortly after the war, a few coworkers and I went to the mall. The music store in there had a couple of guitars, but what caught my attention was an oud -- lute-sized acoustic instrument, 12 strings in six courses tuned like a guitar, and fretless. I had just started learning Phrygian-dominant and Hungarian/Gypsy scales, which are all very consonant with Arabic music, so when I started unwinding this in the store, the shopkeeper was a little surprised -- "who's this blue-eyed white boy as can play this oud?!"

(October 18, 2016 at 5:07 am)paulpablo Wrote: What other instrument would you like to learn the most?

Saxophone, no doubt. Listen to Wayne Shorter and tell me it isn't just singing through an instrument, y'know?

(October 18, 2016 at 5:07 am)paulpablo Wrote: Have you ever been in a band or are you now?

I'm not now, but I've been in a few, perhaps seven? None you'd have heard of, I don't think. Two of those bands, I was the bassist, the others, on guitar. I've never gigged on keys or drums, I'm not good enough on those instruments.

I'm not now in a band, but I'm hoping to get into one soon. See, in 2011/2012 I sold my electric rig (four guitars, three amps, pedals) to help finance my move back to Texas from California. So until November of last year, I'd played acoustic-only for about four years. Last November I got a nice Ibanez semi-hollow and started shaking the rust off'n my electric chops. I still can't play with the speed I used to have. But I can milk a note like nobody's business. Anyway, the rust is coming off the knuckles, the gear is coming together, and I'm hoping to join a band again soon. Its been too long!