Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
I've never gotten a good answer to....
I've never gotten a good answer to....
No matter the religion or claimed god(Allah/Yahweh/God) I never get a good answer, forget the scientific absurdity, but merely the line of logic.

Why would, if one is going to assign and claim that their god is "all powerful". why would such a being want or need body guards or a marketing department?

Board? That would make us toys, lab rats.

Lonely? That would make it insecure.

If they claim such a being is perfect, it would not have wants or needs. If it has no wants or needs then we are really nothing but playthings for its amusement and considering the reality of what we know happens, the thought of such a character as they would like to be real, is a frightening claim. If it has wants and needs you cant call it perfect. 

Theists simply do not understand that all deity/god/God claims are in our species history are merely a reflection of their own human attributes and flaws and desires and insecurities. God and religions are really a artificial construct humans buy into because most humans pass down the religions of their parents to the next generation, but in reality are a reflection of our social grouping in comic book form. 

That isn't just the big three monotheistic religions, that is every religion worldwide in our species history. Even the ones of Asia and the Orient are still a result of social grouping rooted in antiquity and an age of human ignorance. Nirvana and reincarnation are superstitions as well regardless of how Hindus and Buddhists would like to paint them as more earthy and less tribal. 

I put all religions in the same category, from the dead religions of the Ancient Egyptians to Greek and Roman polytheism to the Aztecs. Religion in all its forms to me are simply our species flawed perceptions they use to create groups and social order.
RE: I've never gotten a good answer to....
Quote:Theists simply do not understand that all deity/god/God claims are in our species history are merely a reflection of their own human attributes and flaws and desires and insecurities.

Be careful with that one. When you accuse a religious person of being insecure they may: 1) Eject you from society; 2) Set things on fire (your house, your car, your genitals); or 3) Enslave your children.

But, to be fair, they only do these things to show that they're not insecure.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 23, 2016 at 7:44 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:Theists simply do not understand that all deity/god/God claims are in our species history are merely a reflection of their own human attributes and flaws and desires and insecurities.

Be careful with that one.  When you accuse a religious person of being insecure they may: 1) Eject you from society; 2) Set things on fire (your house, your car, your genitals); or 3) Enslave your children.

Boru

Desire and...... You miss that part. You can falsely attribute your belonging to a club to a false sense of confidence and security, but it is sill coming from a place of desire to belong which is the insecurity in our species mistaken for confidence. The narcissism of our species is what that is. 

You can certainly be brave in defending a falsehood and our species has gone to very dark places leading others to follow in such horrible unchecked ideas. But again, that is bravery based on the fear of being wrong. Not intellectual bravery when faced with the prospect of being wrong, the willingness to change positions when faced with that prospect.

Back when 9/11 happened some pundits and celebrities got blasted for calling the hijackers brave. They most certainly were, but in the wrong way. They went to their deaths just like the Japanese Kamikazes would slam their planes into Allied ships. It still did not make their oppressive shacking up with Hitler moral. And it still came from a place of fear of being dominated.
(October 23, 2016 at 8:37 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(October 23, 2016 at 7:44 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Be careful with that one.  When you accuse a religious person of being insecure they may: 1) Eject you from society; 2) Set things on fire (your house, your car, your genitals); or 3) Enslave your children.

Boru

Desire and...... You miss that part. You can falsely attribute your belonging to a club to a false sense of confidence and security, but it is sill coming from a place of desire to belong which is the insecurity in our species mistaken for confidence. The narcissism of our species is what that is. 

You can certainly be brave in defending a falsehood and our species has gone to very dark places leading others to follow in such horrible unchecked ideas. But again, that is bravery based on the fear of being wrong. Not intellectual bravery when faced with the prospect of being wrong, the willingness to change positions when faced with that prospect.

Back when 9/11 happened some pundits and celebrities got blasted for calling the hijackers brave. They most certainly were, but in the wrong way. They went to their deaths just like the Japanese Kamikazes would slam their planes into Allied ships. It still did not make their oppressive shacking up with Hitler moral. And it still came from a place of fear of being dominated.

Please PM me your physical address - I'd like to send you a big box of sarcasm seeds, since the crop where you live has apparently failed.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Yeah, this all powerful stuff is a bit odd. It seems the main excuse is "He knows what's going to happen if X doesn't happen, so X is always justified". No matter how bad that something is, and no matter how hard it is to explain why an all powerful deity would do such a thing. still it's hard to believe that an all powerful, all knowing, ever present entity would choose killing as one of his main ways to solve a problem, especially since it never really fixes the issue.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

The best way to rationally answer your question is to say God is everything but nothing in particular. 

That should be enough, you are a bright guy.
I can't speak for other religions, but as far as Christianity goes, we believe He created us out of love. Because He is love, by His very nature. It wasn't out of loneliness or boredom. It was out of a desire (a desire stemmed from love) to have others to share His great love and joy with.

He created us with free will. Ultimately, we choose whether we want to accept and be part of His love or not.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(October 23, 2016 at 7:44 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

Be careful with that one.  When you accuse a religious person of being insecure they may: 1) Eject you from society; 2) Set things on fire (your house, your car, your genitals); or 3) Enslave your children.

...Or not do any of those and simply answer the question.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(October 23, 2016 at 7:27 am)Brian37 Wrote: Board? That would make us toys, lab rats.

What kind of board game would it be? I bet it's fucking Monopoly isn't it?

Quote:Lonely? That would make it insecure.

It just needs to listen to some more Abba. Then it will feel less lonesome as a deity. Because, boy that broad can sing! What a voice Abba has! She's amazing.
(October 23, 2016 at 1:10 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I can't speak for other religions, but as far as Christianity goes, we believe He created us out of love. Because He is love, by His very nature. It wasn't out of loneliness or boredom. It was out of a desire (a desire stemmed from love) to have others to share His great love and joy with.  

He created us with free will. Ultimately, we choose whether we want to accept and be part of His love or not.

I think rationally what we are is not what God created us for. This can be rationally proven by the following permise:

"God creates potential to reach it's fullest potential".

And if you can realize that, you can realize that we failed to reach fullest potential. But that we need fullest potential people to guide us.

I believe Mohammad, Ali, Fatima, Hassan and Hussain and 9 Imams from offspring of Hussain in this universe, are fullest potential. They accelerated from the start till now with maximum way.

Prophets were guided to the straight path, and once reaching, all accelerate according to the speed they came to it.

The followers of Prophet and Ali, eventually, will be guided to the straight path. They will differ according to their acceleration and growth speed once reaching it, but otherwise, it's one and the same path.

It doesn't lack one glory or one beauty, but combines them all perfectly balanced.

It can be said just like a lottery ticket, no one buys that for and risks money, for the sake of winning anything less then the grand prize.

God created all of us for the sake of being his grand prize.

We forever have failed that, but eventually, we can be guided to the path of those who he favored from beginning till the end with his name.

May God forgive us, God must be frustrated, he keeps scratching tickets and tests us, but the results are almost all negative.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Someone should tell these people Buddha never existed Vincenzo Vinny G. 14 4557 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  God is not the answer Foxaèr 47 5041 October 31, 2018 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Drich
  People in bible never existed according to head of Theology at a university in UK! MellisaClarke 79 15333 January 3, 2018 at 12:18 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I guess you never thought about it, did you? Little Rik 68 16077 September 24, 2017 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  10 Questions Biblical Literalists Cannot Honestly Answer Foxaèr 431 124507 August 12, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Our theists of all labels please answer.... Brian37 92 12026 April 25, 2017 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Why the religious will never admit you won the argument (and why they don't care) Veritas_Vincit 166 19915 June 30, 2016 at 1:00 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Consistent Asshole Answer to Every Problem Minimalist 3 1820 June 17, 2016 at 9:37 am
Last Post: tacebotedo
  Share Your Untestimony: Prayers that God didn't Answer Rhondazvous 81 21057 November 3, 2015 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  The Answer is - The Greeks Minimalist 16 3187 January 27, 2015 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: Jenny A