Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How many churches/mosques/temples do you see everyday?
How many churches/mosques/temples do you see everyday?
Moving down to North Carolina 4 years ago, one thing I didn't expect was the absolute glut of churches in the area. I counted on my way to work today (30 minute drive), and I counted 12 churches between home and work. And I could count another 20 just in my general area.

It blows my mind how they can sustain so many churches on top of each other, across the street from each other. And from what I can tell, they're almost all the same denomination.

How much are you surrounded by houses of worship?
Subscribe to Atheist News! Also, check out my latest video- Mass Effect Takes On Religion

https://www.youtube.com/c/AtheistNews
RE: How many churches/mosques/temples do you see everyday?
I don't look. But I guess quite a few. Catholic mainly. And at the very least a century old. Most about a thousand years. The main church where I live being founded in 1114. Another one, the one my parents used to go to, even older. Early 8th century.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I pass one on the ~20 mile commute. Two if you count the one not too far from the route that you can't really see from a vehicle.
Actual houses of worship - 3.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I never noticed any but, of course, who's looking?
There's probably a dozen in and around my little town, honestly.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Within seven miles of my home, four. I see two every workday.

In my town (in the UK) there are four churches that I know of; an Anglican, a Catholic, a Baptist, and a Methodist. The first two have their own buildings and the latter two meet in rented places. No mosques or temples but there are some in a nearby city.
(October 23, 2016 at 5:12 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I never noticed any but, of course, who's looking?

I am looking - sometimes. There's a difference between looking at some crappy concrete mega church or a medieval cathedral or cloister. Although I have to admit, I'm looking far too little. What's right under your nose usually escapes your notice. But I always will have fond memories of our late town archeologist leading us around and pointing out the different styles and tools being used by the stone masons. You actually can tell by the toolmarks when the particular stone was crafted. Which, in case of my hometown cloister, covers a span from the 12th to the 19th century.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I only pass two, but that's only because I work in the part of town with few churches.

According to http://www.churchfinder.com, we have 70 churches for a town with ~42,000 people. It's hard to swing a stick without hitting one.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One God versus many T.J. 42 2872 December 6, 2021 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  If artificial super intelligence erases humans, will theists see this as God's plan? Face2face 24 5141 March 5, 2021 at 6:40 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Churches need to be taxed Foxaèr 12 605 July 16, 2020 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  We can only see 4% of the universe ! WinterHold 25 2772 January 30, 2019 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Montreal is taxing churches Foxaèr 4 671 June 23, 2018 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  I Can Just Hear All Churches Shitting Bricks On This One Minimalist 40 7131 December 7, 2017 at 5:00 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Religious expressions in everyday use ukatheist 28 2871 December 3, 2016 at 10:02 am
Last Post: Casca
  Do Catholics have most boring churches/ liturgy? Fake Messiah 55 8684 October 22, 2016 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Do you see any benefits to religious faith? Mudhammam 228 30081 September 22, 2016 at 10:48 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Bill Maher Says It. Tax the Fucking Churches! Minimalist 29 5330 April 20, 2016 at 4:36 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd