Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
France begins to clear 'Jungle' camp
France begins to clear 'Jungle' camp
You can keep them, France.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37745386

Quote:More than 1,200 police and officials in France have begun an operation to clear the "Jungle" migrant camp in Calais.

The camp has been housing at least 7,000 people in squalid conditions.

Migrants queued peacefully to be processed, and the first of some 60 coaches that will carry them to refugee centres across France have now left.

There is concern that some migrants will refuse to go because they still want to get to Britain and that weekend clashes with police could be repeated.

The dismantling of the camp is expected to start on Tuesday.
RE: France begins to clear 'Jungle' camp
They are in a safe country and have the opportunity to apply for asylum there, but they openly admit they would rather come here. Apparently France is 'horrible'.

Ungrateful fuckers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38359934

Quote:An increasing number of migrants are returning to Calais, two months after the "Jungle" camp was cleared by French authorities, aid workers have told the BBC.

Gavin Lee spoke to the charity Care for Calais, which says several hundred migrants are still hiding out in the region, with the aim of stowing away illegally to the UK.
Or maybe a lot of them have family or community in Britain.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(December 18, 2016 at 9:45 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Or maybe a lot of them have family or community in Britain.

Quite honestly SC, I don't give a flying fuck.

That doesn't give anyone the right to settle here illegally.
Nobody said anything about rights. These are humans. I don't think it's fair to assume their motivations are solely to be a thorn in your side and take from you.

Can you imagine having to leave your country, settling in a place where you don't speak the language? France == England, for all they know. Maybe the only thing they know is in an equally foreign place across the channel. I am attempting to explain a possible motivation for returning to Calais besides them all being 'ungrateful fuckers.'

I know you don't want them there. I get/understand that. What I am suggesting is take a step back from hating all of them so you can see that they are just humans trying to live and cling to anything familiar. If they get turned away from Calais, then they will have to settle in France. Hopefully they will be successful there.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Furthermore, given the anti-immigrant views held more widely (I assume) by the French, can you blame them for not wanting to stay in a place where they're not welcome?

(December 18, 2016 at 10:13 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Furthermore, given the anti-immigrant views held more widely (I assume) by the French, can you blame them for not wanting to stay in a place where they're not welcome?

Isn't the point of illegal immigration to aggressively try to get into a place you're not legally welcome to be?

If they were welcome in the UK but not in France then I imagine there'd be no problem and the French would just say cool, go to Britain, they want you there.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(December 18, 2016 at 10:13 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Furthermore, given the anti-immigrant views held more widely (I assume) by the French, can you blame them for not wanting to stay in a place where they're not welcome?

They are in for a treat if they ever manage to reach Britain then.
(December 18, 2016 at 11:06 pm)Bella Morte Wrote:

They are in for a treat if they ever manage to reach Britain then.

Now there's something to be proud of!

(December 18, 2016 at 11:04 pm)paulpablo Wrote:

Isn't the point of illegal immigration to aggressively try to get into a place you're not legally welcome to be?

If they were welcome in the UK but not in France then I imagine there'd be no problem and the French would just say cool, go to Britain, they want you there.

Well, I think immigrants, legal or not, decide on this or that country for one or more of several reasons, some of which SC has already laid out.

As.for why France doesn't simply pass them along, do they have any obligations through the EU to preventing it to another EU country?

(December 18, 2016 at 11:11 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(December 18, 2016 at 11:06 pm)Bella Morte Wrote: They are in for a treat if they ever manage to reach Britain then.

Now there's something to be proud of!

I believe that we should accept a limited number of unaccompanied child refugees but they must pass age verification checks, integrate into the local culture and learn the language.

In the end, we should be doing more to help our own.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Poland, Germany, France all love me Brian37 4 1568 April 21, 2023 at 7:05 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Macron begins to retreat from his racist, xenophobic statements about Islam WinterHold 17 582 November 1, 2020 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: no one
  Former Nazi Camp guard charged... Brian37 7 750 November 26, 2018 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Vive L' France! Minimalist 6 562 November 14, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  another dead and 4 injured in France ignoramus 7 842 May 13, 2018 at 5:54 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Latest mass shooting in France CapnAwesome 20 2348 March 25, 2018 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: henryp
  It Begins Again. brewer 4 887 April 21, 2016 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Teen girl sent by Boko Haram rips off suicide vest, refuses to bomb refugee camp Heat 7 1970 February 16, 2016 at 4:20 am
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Permit to preach in France? pocaracas 0 544 November 25, 2015 at 7:40 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Terrorist Massacre Prevented by US Soliders in France Fidel_Castronaut 17 3366 August 25, 2015 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0