Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How open are you with your Atheism?
How open are you with your Atheism?
At my full time job, I've mentioned my Atheism twice, in the last four years. Two different people I trusted, and knew that they wouldn't think it was a big deal. But my workplace is absolutely loaded with the religious. One of my part time employees works as a chaplain at a hospital. Another person whom I have to coordinate with everyday practices memorizing bible quotes on her lunch break. So I am under no illusion that for my own benefit, and to avoid conflict from a lot of people, I keep it close to the chest, and just don't join conversations that involve religion.

My personal life; my friends, family, and my wife know that I'm Atheist. Most of my friends couldn't care less. My dad has become more and more wildly religious as he ages (My wife is pregnant with our first child, and I'm becoming paranoid that he's going to try and baptize our daughter when we're not around). So he's not thrilled with it, but knows that if he pressures me on it too much, we'll probably lose contact, because he knows I won't put up with anyone's religious harassment.

My wife wasn't Atheist until we started dating- when I told her I was before our first date (I get it out there beforehand now, due to issues that came up in previous relationships), she actually didn't know what Atheism was. She was on the fence, and while I wasn't trying to recruit her or anything, she just accepted reality because of one conversation that involved me asking "where's the proof?" Ironically, she has a tattoo of a cross on her ankle that she got when she was 18, because in her words "I was young and dumb." I pretend it burns every time my hand touches it.

How open are you about Atheism in your life? Does it ever come up?
Subscribe to Atheist News! Also, check out my latest video- Mass Effect Takes On Religion

https://www.youtube.com/c/AtheistNews
RE: How open are you with your Atheism?
Atheism isn't really a big deal over here in the UK.
Thanks for sharing Smile

Here in England, no one cares, at least in the areas I've lived in. No one generally asks. If they do, I'll happily say. My friends and family know.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Certain friends and family know. Workplace is full of religious and I do not want any evangeism directed at me. My job is very complicated and stressful. Having to be rude to the religious makes my job even more complicated. Perhaps after I have given notice the debates can begin.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

I'd rather people asked me why I am non-religious than why I am an atheist. It's a more substantial discussion.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Not open about it with anyone in my family. Don't wanna open that Pandora's box. Most people who know me know, but only because I don't shy away from criticizing religion if the conversation flows in that direction. Otherwise I don't bring it up for no reason.
Nobody gives a shit where I live. Well, unless you're applying for a job at one of the churches or affiliated organisations, I guess. Nobody ever asked me and I never felt the need to tell without being asked.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Among people my age (early 20s) it very rarely comes up and when it does it isn't a big deal. In fact, a lot of my friends are atheists as well. But my family (and anybody of the previous generation, including some ex-girlfriends' parents) would probably be horrified if they knew so I keep it to myself when it comes to them
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(October 25, 2016 at 6:45 am)robvalue Wrote: Thanks for sharing Smile

My friends and family know.

Funny as that may sound, I never spoke with them. I guess my parents knew, since I no longer went to church with them. Well, unless to attend a wedding or a funeral. Both occasions where I certainly didn't see any reason to make a stand. Sometimes I got into a discussion with my mother, who was the more religious of the pair. Nor really over religion but over our chimp heritage. Which she took in stride.

I don't even know if and what my brother and his family believe. It never was important in our relationship and so we never talked about it. Pretty sure my nephew is an atheist, but not a hundred percent sure, since when we meet we talk about other things than church or religion.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I've told some people I'm atheist. It never came up on the job, probably for good reason. People I've told have been fairly reasonable about it.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does your atheism come as a package? FrustratedFool 75 5221 October 7, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Open to explore possibility zwanzig 102 6875 February 20, 2021 at 12:59 am
Last Post: Astreja
  Sharing your atheism james hart 15 1714 April 24, 2020 at 5:25 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  Informing aging relatives of your Atheism Bahana 7 1255 October 7, 2018 at 8:49 am
Last Post: Bahana
  What is your problem with Atheism? ignoramus 113 23273 June 3, 2018 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27101 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What is your favourite positive argument for atheism/unbelief? Lucanus 113 25793 April 22, 2017 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Religion is fluff but the Doctrines are solid. Keep mind open. RonaldMcRaygun 12 2306 March 31, 2017 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Poll: What is your Specific Level of Atheism? camlov2019 68 8124 January 27, 2017 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: flagbears
  So how do you deal with your atheism around the holidays GoHalos1993 22 4094 December 8, 2015 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Mr Greene