Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do people hate the actual belief in God, or just the religious organizations?
Do people hate the actual belief in God, or just the religious organizations?
or both?

i see people say "religion ruins everything" so that would point to the organizations and scriptures

i also see people say "youre dumb if you believe in god"

so, what do people hate? or at least, what do people have the most issue with?
"Satan, who is the god of this world" 2 Corinthians 4:4 hath blinded the minds of them which believe not
RE: Do people hate the actual belief in God, or just the religious organizations?
Greetings!

Why don't you introduce yourself?

http://atheistforums.org/forum-11.html
RE: Do people hate the actual belief in God, or just the religious organizations?
Mostly the actions of the followers of the religion. either by attacking or ostracizing people who believe differently, or by preying on the vulnerable. Those who do bad should be called out as bad people. including those who hide behind religions.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(October 28, 2016 at 8:14 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Mostly the actions of the followers of the religion. either by attacking or ostracizing people who believe differently, or by preying on the vulnerable. Those who do bad should be called out as bad people. including those who hide behind religions.

indeed. so the scriptures and the organizations that share them, thus influencing people to do bad things.

kinda like racism. 

point 1 for scripture/organizations
"Satan, who is the god of this world" 2 Corinthians 4:4 hath blinded the minds of them which believe not
God is a figment of someone's imagination but his supposed followers have done a shitload of damage.

[Image: extremist1.jpg?w=510]
(October 28, 2016 at 8:28 pm)Minimalist Wrote: God is a figment of someone's imagination but his supposed followers have done a shitload of damage.

well, doesnt sound like you hate the belief in god, just the wrongdoing of people who do.

im seeing now that my question is stupid, people wouldnt hate figments of imagination, unless their figment is telling them to kill people.

does this mean man is inherently bad? 
or that man is easily corrupt?
and what corrupts man? 
is it god or the things written about him?
or is it the people who wrote it were bad and trying to control?
or just a product of our flawed history overstaying its welcome?
all of the above?
I'd say that the religious have a fantasy delusion, one that unfortunately is accepted by society.

I don't hate the people necessarily, I dislike some of their actions. You could say that I hate the religious manipulations, things done in the  name of religion. 

For the most part I don't think they are stupid, just different. They have the ability to live with this particular cognitive dissonance that I just can't. I don't understand it but I have a wife that does it.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I wouldn't care what the belief was if it wasn't pushed on me or others around me so much. I'd have to go with the actions of believers as the biggest target of my scorn. Sure, I still think people are gullible for believing it, but I won't make a big deal about it if they keep it to their damn selves.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
(October 28, 2016 at 8:35 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I'd say that the religious have a fantasy delusion, one that unfortunately is accepted by society.

I don't hate the people necessarily, I dislike some of their actions. You could say that I hate the religious manipulations, things done in the  name of religion. 

For the most part I don't think they are stupid, just different. They have the ability to live with this particular cognitive dissonance that I just can't. I don't understand it but I have a wife that does it.

people are a product of their environment. had you had different circumstances, you might have believed in god to this day instead of deciding not to at whatever age you did.

santa claus is still a thing, i think its okay to believe in things. just, put your belief in something worthwhile and positive, like yourself.

(October 28, 2016 at 8:38 pm)Jesster Wrote: I wouldn't care what the belief was if it wasn't pushed on me or others around me so much. I'd have to go with the actions of believers as the biggest target of my scorn. Sure, I still think people are gullible for believing it, but I won't make a big deal about it if they keep it to their damn selves.

yeah. there are alot of loudmouth religous people. and alot of loudmouth atheists. many hypocritical theists, and many hypocritical atheists.

but then you got that nice middle ground of rational kind theists and atheists who respect the privacy and choices of others.
(October 28, 2016 at 8:39 pm)goombah111 Wrote:
(October 28, 2016 at 8:35 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I'd say that the religious have a fantasy delusion, one that unfortunately is accepted by society.

people are a product of their environment. had you had different circumstances, you might have believed in god to this day instead of deciding not to at whatever age you did.

santa claus is still a thing, i think its okay to believe in things. just, put your belief in something worthwhile and positive, like yourself.

My environment was evangelical lutheran until age 13. That's when what I was being told by the religious stopped making sense. 

If you are equating santa claus to god, lets throw the tooth fairy and unicorns into the mix. To you are they all real?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things religious people say Foxaèr 1072 74686 April 17, 2024 at 1:13 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 11433 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  Sexual Satisfaction Correlated with Religious Belief Neo-Scholastic 38 3332 September 10, 2022 at 4:35 am
Last Post: Niblo
  "Hate the sin, not the sinner" is such a logical fallacy Woah0 7 954 September 7, 2022 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Why people remain in cultlike religious communities Won2blv 6 650 April 1, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Belief in white Jesus linked to racism Foxaèr 91 6125 January 1, 2022 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  just another god hypothetical ... ignoramus 55 8144 July 14, 2021 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Do you think Scientology sells anyone on its belief? Sweden83 19 1715 December 25, 2020 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  hate WinterHold 11 1417 November 21, 2019 at 9:55 pm
Last Post: mordant
  The Dunning-Kruger Effect and Religious Belief AFTT47 18 4123 March 11, 2019 at 7:19 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb