Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Venting here.
Venting here.
When it comes to my mother and religion, that gets on my nerves real quick. So yesterday at my mom's long term care home, a Catholic priest who often visits passed us on his way to his car while we were outside. So he says "You know God knows you are here".

It took me every fiber of my being, though I did give him a dirty look, not to fucking shout at him. "THEN THAT MAKES YOUR GOD A FUCKING PRICK"

My mom's friend who was with us, could tell I was irritated by him and she knew I was an atheist. Her friend is another can of worms I wont get into, but when she said "Just let him say it and let it go".

I need to vent here because I love my mom and she still supports me to this day even with everything she goes through and the thought of her not being around is terrifying to me. 

So again, I am relegated to implied silence even though it is my own mother so all I can do is scream about the horrible logic theism causes.

There simply is no polite way especially if one wants to claim a cosmic security guard how horrible that claim is. IF you want to make that claim then sorry, there is no way I can find such a god moral. My mom doesn't want to be there, I don't want her to be there. I hate seeing her have to give up more of her independence much less having to go through the operation that lead her to have to move to long term care.

I don't care if you want to call this god Allah or Yahweh or Jesus or chalk it up to any other multitude of god claims in human history. If one has the power to protect someone, like a police officer, or teacher or baby sitter but sits on their hands and does nothing, they are dicks. My mother spent 30 years of her life as a teacher. So why is she going through all this? Because of reality, because of old age, not because of some stupid old bronze age myth claim of a sky wizard battling a ground troll. 

It is 2016 not 329. God does not exist. My mom is simply old and everyone gets old eventually. It sucks yes, nobody wants to get old, but that is the reality. I simply get tired of listening to horrible logic and not only horrible logic, but immoral logic on top of that. My mom has been nothing but good to everyone in her life, even with all our quirks and differences, so if this is someone's idea of caring, they can go fuck themselves. My mom is alive because of doctors not sky wizards. 

Yes I am cussing and angry. No, I don't want religious people arrested or harmed. I AM SIMPLY SAYING YOUR LOGIC SUCKS and I am tired of having to bite my tongue. It was understandable that humans made and bought those myths back then. But when it comes to my mother knowing our scientific reality, in 2016, you are not only insulting my intellect, you are insulting my mother as well.
RE: Venting here.
(October 30, 2016 at 8:49 am)Brian37 Wrote: When it comes to my mother and religion, that gets on my nerves real quick. So yesterday at my mom's long term care home, a Catholic priest who often visits passed us on his way to his car while we were outside. So he says "You know God knows you are here".

It took me every fiber of my being, though I did give him a dirty look, not to fucking shout at him. "THEN THAT MAKES YOUR GOD A FUCKING PRICK"

My mom's friend who was with us, could tell I was irritated by him and she knew I was an atheist. Her friend is another can of worms I wont get into, but when she said "Just let him say it and let it go".

I need to vent here because I love my mom and she still supports me to this day even with everything she goes through and the thought of her not being around is terrifying to me. 

So again, I am relegated to implied silence even though it is my own mother so all I can do is scream about the horrible logic theism causes.

There simply is no polite way especially if one wants to claim a cosmic security guard how horrible that claim is. IF you want to make that claim then sorry, there is no way I can find such a god moral. My mom doesn't want to be there, I don't want her to be there. I hate seeing her have to give up more of her independence much less having to go through the operation that lead her to have to move to long term care.

I don't care if you want to call this god Allah or Yahweh or Jesus or chalk it up to any other multitude of god claims in human history. If one has the power to protect someone, like a police officer, or teacher or baby sitter but sits on their hands and does nothing, they are dicks. My mother spent 30 years of her life as a teacher. So why is she going through all this? Because of reality, because of old age, not because of some stupid old bronze age myth claim of a sky wizard battling a ground troll. 

It is 2016 not 329. God does not exist. My mom is simply old and everyone gets old eventually. It sucks yes, nobody wants to get old, but that is the reality. I simply get tired of listening to horrible logic and not only horrible logic, but immoral logic on top of that. My mom has been nothing but good to everyone in her life, even with all our quirks and differences, so if this is someone's idea of caring, they can go fuck themselves. My mom is alive because of doctors not sky wizards. 

Yes I am cussing and angry. No, I don't want religious people arrested or harmed. I AM SIMPLY SAYING YOUR LOGIC SUCKS and I am tired of having to bite my tongue. It was understandable that humans made and bought those myths back then. But when it comes to my mother knowing our scientific reality, in 2016, you are not only insulting my intellect, you are insulting my mother as well.

Let us forget about the priest unfortunate comment and concentrate on your idea that .............If one has the power to protect someone, like a police officer, or teacher or baby sitter but sits on their hands and does nothing, they are dicks.............you are surely right but if you relate this idea to God then you are dead wrong.
Your free will automatically cut God intervention.
Why God should intervene and take away your free will?
God may well intervene but only if you build up a good relationship with him not when you decide to keep your free will regardless.  Lightbulb
I have volunteered at a nursing home on occasion.

I made a point of asking about access to the inmates residents by various clergy and was told upon admission individuals can opt in or out on as to whether or not a given denom has visiting privileges.

I found this policy adequate, I'd posit not all homes would maintain such a list (unless it's a state requirement?) and of course, homes owned/managed by a specific faith would look at the issue differently.

So, while I appreciate your topic here, you're able bodied, you were in the parking lot,  it's possible to run into priests in quite a few places and hopefully the priest isn't allowed to roam the halls looking for fresh meat.

As for the generic pablum the priest spouted off with, I'd rather have you reporting he blasphemed or apostatized.

Appreciate your bringing this up, there are certainly times I've been extremely annoyed to encounter a religiousite too.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(October 30, 2016 at 9:41 am)Little Rik Wrote:
(October 30, 2016 at 8:49 am)Brian37 Wrote: When it comes to my mother and religion, that gets on my nerves real quick. So yesterday at my mom's long term care home, a Catholic priest who often visits passed us on his way to his car while we were outside. So he says "You know God knows you are here".

Let us forget about the priest unfortunate comment and concentrate on your idea that .............If one has the power to protect someone, like a police officer, or teacher or baby sitter but sits on their hands and does nothing, they are dicks.............you are surely right but if you relate this idea to God then you are dead wrong.
Your free will automatically cut God intervention.
Why God should intervene and take away your free will?
God may well intervene but only if you build up a good relationship with him not when you decide to keep your free will regardless.  Lightbulb

What a load of bullshit. You have no say in getting old there is no "free will" to stay healthy and never get old. My mom did not chose to have an abdominal aortic aneurysm. You know how fucking absurd you sound.

Mom, "Hey God I want to have my body fail so I can have a very invasive operation and lose more of my mobility to the point of having to leave my independent living home and all my friends, that would be so much fun".

It's even more absurd when it comes to child rape and murder. Polly Klass "Hey God, you know what would be fun, if one night while I am asleep, a drugged up creep kidnaps me out of my bedroom and rapes me and slits my throat". Please tell me what sane human would "choose" that, much less a kid.

How about a does of reality. 50 million to 60 million humans worldwide die every year from everything, old age, disease, famine, natural disaster, accidental crime and war. Bad things happen to greater or lesser degrees to every human at some point, and everyone dies eventually in any case. It is an insult to my intellect alone to try to chalk suffering up to comic books bullshit. It is like trying to claim Thor doesn't want to interfere with your choice to be struck by lightening.

There is no "free will" in any comic book old bronze age Yoda vs Darth Vader context. Humans can make diet choices and health choices and seek medical help and those are real solutions not needing any sky wizard. But even with medical help everybody's body wears out.
Quote:God may well intervene but only if you build up a good relationship with him not when you decide to keep your free will regardless.

Do you have ANY idea how repugnant that doctrine is?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 30, 2016 at 11:11 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:God may well intervene but only if you build up a good relationship with him not when you decide to keep your free will regardless.

Do you have ANY idea how repugnant that doctrine is?

Boru

I hate certain words my species uses to give something undue value, and "doctrine" is one of them. It sounds official and lofty in intent, but the reality is that morals don't come from old books in any case. 

I'd put it more like, "When you claim x as an idea, I cannot buy that motif as idea." But the repugnant part certainly I do agree with. If one is going to postulate the claim that there is a loving security guard who can protect you but is selective or refuses to or cops out to "I don't have to explain myself to you" or "It is your fault" victim blaming. Yes that is a very repugnant idea as a motif to try to intellectual defend. It smacks of the narcissism of a child who melts his plastic army men with a magnifying glass in the sandbox when he cant get them to do what he wants.
And the idea that it is our duty to not only in this life kiss one being's ass, but after we die do the same, is extremely selfish and self centered. I don't think of my mother as a toy to be used or a lab rat to be experimented with or a minion to one being.
What is the point of a god who does nothing ?
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(October 30, 2016 at 11:57 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: What is the point of a god who does nothing ?

They don't claim he does nothing. The real objection is when you have the power but are selective about it. No sane parent would treat their own kids in such a selective manor. Imagine what Child Protective Services would do if for example, they came across a couple with 3 kids, where one was well fed and had a clean room, the second kid had a room full of cockroaches, and the third kid was beaten and bruised and living in the unheated garage in the dead of winter.
I would never hire such a selective deadbeat to run a bicycle factory. The bikes would end up with squid for spokes and the workers would murder each other over the competing assembly manuals.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Venting. Handprint 23 6207 February 4, 2012 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Handprint