Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fight religion in court
Fight religion in court
What do you think about my idea to go to court and claim that religions such as Christianity and Islam are making direct threats to persons by saying they will go to hell when they die. To us atheists this is not a real threat. But anyone that is open to the idea of god will take the threat seriously. To outlaw the usage of hell and eternal torture would be a big blow to religion as they can not effectively indoctrinate people any more. Would this be a defensible position?
RE: Fight religion in court
I don't think that would work...

Don't forget to introduce yourself:

http://atheistforums.org/forum-11.html
No , because the collateral damage would be my right to tell some one to fuck themselves and go to hell. I am not willing to give that up.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(October 30, 2016 at 1:02 pm)verbral Wrote: What do you think about my idea to go to court and claim that religions such as Christianity and Islam are making direct threats to persons by saying they will go to hell when they die. To us atheists this is not a real threat. But anyone that is open to the idea of god will take the threat seriously. To outlaw the usage of hell and eternal torture would be a big blow to religion as they can not effectively indoctrinate people any more. Would this be a defensible position?

Go for it, if you got it to burn. I have more pressing issues, such as earning a living or having a life.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I don't know where you are but here in the U.S. that would be massively unconstitutional. Would you really want the government to have that kind of power? Be careful what you wish for.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(October 30, 2016 at 1:20 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: I don't know where you are but here in the U.S. that would be massively unconstitutional. Would you really want the government to have that kind of power? Be careful what you wish for.

^^

This.
Saying people will go to hell shouldn't count as a direct threat of violence. As long as they don't actually attack, or threaten to attack, people or property then it's just talk. Though passing laws discriminating against groups because a book tells them to is also immoral, and shouldn't be tolerated.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Depends on the version of hell, perhaps ?

Mine for instance, where the damned are anally raped and impregnated by vile demons and then give birth rectally to more demons that will then torment them ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(October 30, 2016 at 1:33 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Depends on the version of hell, perhaps ?

Mine for instance, where the damned are anally raped and impregnated by vile demons and then give birth rectally to more demons that will then torment them ?

You have a very strange mind, vorlon...
Got something better ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Supreme Court Rules Taxpayers Must Fund Religious Schools Duty 17 1532 July 2, 2020 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4232 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Is no Religion a Religion. Artur Axmann 76 16557 June 14, 2014 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Muslim Atheism
  What do you do in court? callahan24 17 3437 June 25, 2013 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Manowar
  Australian High Court rules against public school chaplains Justtristo 24 9241 July 14, 2012 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Time for me to "fight" back. Aegrus 10 3242 October 2, 2011 at 12:07 am
Last Post: R-e-n-n-a-t