Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 5:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dating - Could you date a religious person?
Dating - Could you date a religious person?
Well, could you?

There's no right or wrong answer here, I'm just interested to see what people have to say.

I know for myself, I would personally be turned off if they were like really deep into it, especially to a point where they're into apologetics for the religion and seriously follow the "rules". I can do truly moderate/secular belief, not serious though, although I'd normally prefer to date other atheists.

What say you?
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

RE: Dating - Could you date a religious person?
Back when I was single and looking for a future husband, it was really important for me to find someone who had the same values as I did, and a large part of that is religious beliefs.

Of course, that was back when I was super young, since I started dating my now husband when I was only 20. So perhaps if I was single now a days I'd be a little less picky. But at the time I really wanted a Catholic man.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
I've never dated an atheist before. Every woman I've had a relationship with has been a believer of one stripe or another.

As long as they don't make demands upon me in that area, I'm cool. I would never date any sort of fundamentalist.

Yes, and I am right now. I guess it depends on the specifics of their beliefs and how that affects their actions.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
I'm sure I could date a religious woman if I were single, but not just any garden variety believer. Their character and the manner in which they carried their belief would make all the difference. My first wife was more wooey than religious but occasionally attended a church before we got together (to sing I think). Never discussed religion with her though. My current wife is an atheist but would never visit a site like this since she can't imagine what there could possibly be to talk about. (Doesn't stop her from enjoying the occasional passage when I read her one.)
(October 30, 2016 at 11:04 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Back when I was single and looking for a future husband, it was really important for me to find someone who had the same values as I did, and a large part of that is religious beliefs.

Of course, that was back when I was super young, since I started dating my now husband when I was only 20. So perhaps if I was single now a days I'd be a little less picky. But at the time I really wanted a Catholic man.

They are good, aren't they?

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I was married to one for many years. It worked OK in that regard - though it was broken for other reasons. We did become increasingly incompatible at the end though.

I don't consider theism to be an absolute bar to a romantic relationship. I cannot see myself being attracted to someone of a fundamentalist bent, however.
(October 30, 2016 at 10:58 pm)Yeauxleaux Wrote: Well, could you?

There's no right or wrong answer here, I'm just interested to see what people have to say.

I know for myself, I would personally be turned off if they were like really deep into it, especially to a point where they're into apologetics for the religion and seriously follow the "rules". I can do truly moderate/secular belief, not serious though, although I'd normally prefer to date other atheists.

What say you?

I went on a work date once with a woman who had a little crush on me (I liked her too).  The reason we even went out was because she wanted me to teach her how to make a rather complicated origami model (Daniel Kwan's six intersecting pentagonal prisms; yet, she was only familiar with how to make a fortune teller). Now, when we went on our outing, we talked for a while, and she only briefly mentioned that she had gone to Catholic school and was still Catholic, but she did not go any further into it; she followed up by asking me where I went to school, and we just talked about other things and let the conversation flow naturally. 

Eventually, we got on with the origami.  She began by folding a fortune teller.  Upon completion of her fortune teller, I proposed a trade: I'd give her a geometric sphere-like model I had folded the day before for her fortune teller; she accepted.  I then taught her how to fold a flower model; she was a little flustered, because she thought her folding was a bit off; however, I told her that it was pretty, which made her smile and relax. Finally, I taught her how to fold the eight piece pinwheel (or ninja star: the model that is a ring and then transforms into an eight pointed star); she was very happy after finishing her model. After that, we walked back to the workplace and went about our business.  

I guess the point of this recollection is that even though she was religious, it ultimately didn't matter; we enjoyed each others company.  The most memorable part of that day occurred as I headed down the escalator to go home.  One of her co-workers commented that I had done the impossible: I had gotten her to relax and be calm; this comment caused my date to give me a nice glowing smile.  Hence, I made her happy and had done something right that day; it was a very special day for me, and I enjoyed every moment of it.

Thanks for your time and attention.  Live long and prosper AF members and anyone else.

I'd be alright with it, so long as his religious beliefs wouldn't cut into proper Thena worship. 

It's about priorities. Tongue
Date? Probably not, long term.

It would nag at me. If they belonged to any organized religion... that's just a deal breaker for me.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Black Pill Dating Theory? FrustratedFool 143 6507 August 30, 2023 at 6:11 am
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  A person and a pet Foxaèr 8 503 August 19, 2023 at 6:01 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  How many of you would punish religious people for being religious? Ahriman 222 17923 May 2, 2022 at 2:45 am
Last Post: Losty
  Save the best for last person brewer 23 1840 September 16, 2021 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Where would you go if you could? Brian37 24 1972 August 18, 2021 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  The last person to post wins ! Leo34 13901 980990 May 13, 2021 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Bill paying and automated vs real person on phone Brian37 36 1897 September 2, 2020 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  I could change my username again...... Foxaèr 29 1462 June 7, 2020 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  this is it up date! Drich 2 502 June 3, 2020 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If you could have a conversation with anyone.. Cod 42 4854 July 21, 2019 at 12:33 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire