Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unsolicited PMs
Unsolicited PMs
Is there a way to turn off the PM feature without putting people on ignore? I ask because there are a (small) handful of members who persistently disregard my request that they not PM me about anything ever.

Not calling anyone out and I don't really want to create an ignore list. I like these people and I'm happy to interact with them on the boards, but I really, REALLY don't like private messages.

I looked on the user CP, didn't see anything that seemed as if it might apply. Any help offered would be greatly appreciated.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Unsolicited PMs
UCP--> Your Profile-->Edit Options-->Messaging and Notifications-->Receive Private Messages from Other Users

Uncheck that box and you won't get PMs from anyone.

Now---I don't know if this will preclude staff from sending you a PM. If that is so, then you cannot deselect this option. We will have to await a red to answer that question.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Moderator Notice
Moved to Questions/Feedback Subforum
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Ta for the help.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Do you mind if one of the staff tries to send you a PM just to make sure we can?
What if I want to be the test monkey?

Edit: Just tried Steels instructions and the check marks repopulate when "update options" is selected. Of course I'm a tech idiot and may be doing something incorrect.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 3, 2016 at 8:47 am)mh.brewer Wrote: What if I want to be the test monkey?

Edit: Just tried Steels instructions and the check marks repopulate when "update options" is selected. Of course I'm a tech idiot and may be doing something incorrect.

I can confirm. Not all the check marks repopulate, though, only the one about messaging other users - it basically doesn't allow you to change that option.
@ Boru

I apologize if I ever sent you an Unsolicited PM. I have PMed you but I never knew you wouldn't want me to PM you, I just knew that you'd probably not respond.

Please forgive me if I ever bothered you Smile
Is it possible for a Staff Member to deselect the option and then PM themselves to test it?
So I think I fixed the issue. I just need to verify that when people disable PMs with that option, staff can still send them PMs. I have a feeling we couldn't, which is why we disabled it, but maybe that's no longer the case.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing drafts (threads, not PMs) Aroura 13 2069 December 2, 2016 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: Aroura
  Deleting PMs in Trash Can KichigaiNeko 7 3369 April 29, 2012 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Cinjin