Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious people find it harder to understand the world – study
Religious people find it harder to understand the world – study
"Researchers claim their results show that supernatural beliefs correlated with “low systemizing, poor intuitive physics skills, poor mechanical ability, poor mental rotation, low school grades in mathematics and physics, poor common knowledge about physical and biological phenomena, intuitive and analytical thinking styles, and in particular, with assigning mentality to non-mental phenomena.”

Study authors Marjaana Lindeman and Annika Svedholm-Häkkinen suggest that, when people don’t understand the physical world, they tend to apply human characteristics to the wider universe, “resulting in belief in demons, gods, and other supernatural phenomena”
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/...ld--study/

No shit! One look at religious people just on this forum is plain evidence for the study.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Religious people find it harder to understand the world – study
Saw it the other day. This is no shit, but a rigorous study nonetheless.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
Makes sense. I know I had no clue what evolution really was (back when I was still a deluded Bible-believing Christian), and I didn't even know back then there was such a thing as quantum mechanics.
The world needs ditch diggers too. Maybe prototypes for future deltas.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I know I was able to make much more sense of the world once I had thrown off the blinders of religion.

Quote:poor common knowledge about physical and biological phenomena,

You mean like conservative Christian politicians who claim that a woman can't get pregnant by being raped?

Quote:, and in particular, with assigning mentality to non-mental phenomena.

If I hear someone say "everything happens for a reason" one more time, I'm going to come unglued.  And no, they don't mean that every event has a cause, they mean there's some intelligent reason that the almighty controller of the universe made this or that event happen.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Yeah, but what's the conclusion here? Are stupid people more likely to be religious or are religious people more likely to be stupid? There are definitely some exceptions to this, as well.
The conclusion summed up religious people find science hard there fore gawd done it.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Quote:"Researchers claim their results show that supernatural beliefs correlated with “low systemizing, poor intuitive physics skills, poor mechanical ability, poor mental rotation, low school grades in mathematics and physics, poor common knowledge about physical and biological phenomena, intuitive and analytical thinking styles, and in particular, with assigning mentality to non-mental phenomena.”

Word salad.  They are just stupid.

FSM Grin
(November 3, 2016 at 7:59 am)Irrational Wrote: Makes sense. I know I had no clue what evolution really was (back when I was still a deluded Bible-believing Christian), and I didn't even know back then there was such a thing as quantum mechanics.

As a teen I went to a Pentecostal church, but somehow managed to avoid the "evolution is a lie" teachings.  My best friend in the day was the pastor's 16 year old son.  I remember one time he said something, I don't remember what exactly, which was an explicit statement that dinosaurs were just made up.  In shock I responded that they had dinosaur skeletons in museums, to which he responded, "Really?"  I was too young and naive at the time to see that for the warning sign that it was, that the religious choice of my parents was a choice of ignorance.  Looking back at it today, 30 years later I actually find it more scary than amusing.  Had I stayed religious I could be an ignoramus today, which I find particularly terrifying.
Have you ever noticed all the drug commercials on TV lately?  Why is it the side effects never include penile enlargement or super powers?
Side effects may include super powers or enlarged penis which may become permanent with continued use.  Stop taking Killatol immediately and consult your doctor if you experience penis enlargement of more than 3 inches, laser vision, superhuman strength, invulnerability, the ability to explode heads with your mind or time travel.  Killatoll is not for everyone, especially those who already have convertibles or vehicles of ridiculous size to supplement penis size.
And I'm proud to say that I've NEVER been religious Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things religious people say Foxaèr 1053 68923 March 23, 2024 at 11:17 am
Last Post: no one
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 10900 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  Did they really find Noah's Ark? Jasper 19 1511 May 25, 2023 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why people remain in cultlike religious communities Won2blv 6 646 April 1, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Is Religion an Attempt to Understand the World? EgoDeath 34 3246 December 20, 2019 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: mordant
  Religious people in the medical field Foxaèr 35 6842 November 11, 2018 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Are religious people really afraid of death? Alexmahone 36 4853 July 3, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Religious texts used to manipulate people Foxaèr 13 3697 June 10, 2018 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How do religious people justify raising and slaughtering animals for food? Alexmahone 113 12546 December 6, 2017 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: Little Rik
  I don't understand pantheism Der/die AtheistIn 26 6510 July 26, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Gearbreak