Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sports superstitions are stupid.
Sports superstitions are stupid.
The idea that something magical, can give you luck or cause you to loose is fucking stupid. 

In a very real sense this is the same flawed logic that leads people to make god claims. In evolution what most people do not realize is that MOST ATTEMPTS at life fail. It is a false perception that because of the amount of abundant life we see, most humans who don't understand evolution, think a magic hand had something to do with it.

No, for that one sperm that gets to the egg, there are millions more in that emission that end up doing nothing. For every child born, there are far more female eggs in her lifetime that end up in a period.

Well in pro sports too, there are only two teams, say in the NBA, or MLB, OR NFL OR NHL out of 30-32 teams, only one will become the winner.

What is appealing about the Cubs win even to non baseball fans, is the concept of the underdog. Religions in our species history get started for much the same reason. You have a person or a minority group of humans whom lack the same resources as the majority. Our species empathy for the minority, is really no different than the empathy a parent has for their kid if they are a baby, or why we respond to when bigger kids bully smaller kids.

There are far more many pro sports teams who DON'T win the Championship and only one in each sport, each year, that does. Cleveland was not "cursed" in it's loss anymore than the Cubs not having a Championship since 1908 was a "curse".

Sports superstitions are as stupid to me as when a player prays for a score as if a god should be concerned with rich jocks or their owners when people die in Africa and the middle east from famine and war.

I get it, sports is fun, and that is OK, but DONT BE FUCKING STUPID about why wins and losses happen. Math, skill, and some luck(not magic luck).
RE: Sports superstitions are stupid.
And this separates them from other superstitions how?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
They're silly, but also harmless.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Some have a significant placebo effect.

I had a very specific, OCD style routine before my.games, wearing the same t-shirt under my jersey, putting my eye black on in the right order, listening to the same music, etc etc etc. The list goes on. I never for a second believed that any of those things were magical, but I do think stuff like that helps you.

A "curse" is most certainly not a real thing, but psychologically it can have a huge effect on both the opposing team and the team with the "curse."

Just like some QBs in thE NFL just play terribly in certain stadiums, it is purely psychological.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Isn't there a statue of a rider on a stallion, rearing up, in Chicago somewhere that it is doom to look at on the way to a game ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(November 3, 2016 at 8:25 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: They're silly, but also harmless.

In what context? No, sports superstitions don't start wars, but on individual fan or player levels they can cause depression, and the rivalries in sports do lead to stupid bullshit like fan violence and riots after wins or losses.

But the same bad logic is the same that leads humans to think something magic, be it an object or deity, lead to the outcome. It is still the same gap filling flawed perception logic that suffers from selection bias and sample rate error.

Sports are metaphors for war, and mimic the evolutionary grouping competition that exists in real evolution. There is no magic or god involved. And the harsh reality for all of life, is that what we see is the small output compared to all the attempts going in. No different than knowing how big the universe is and how the vast majority of it is hostile to life.

It is not harmless. One beer isn't harmless either. But just like religion, a hockey or soccer or baseball or NFL fan can get so superstitious or tribal about it as to get depressed and or get violent over a loss. And that part while not on the same scale as religion, is just as absurd as claiming God/Allah/Yahweh favor your club and your sect at the expense of others being second class and or deserve to die in war because they picked the wrong club.

European an South American soccer fans outside of NHL hockey, can be very violent. Sports superstitions are NOT harmless, nobody is saying it or should say it is on the same scale as violence of religion, but it is still stemming from our species flawed logic.
(November 3, 2016 at 9:19 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(November 3, 2016 at 8:25 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: They're silly, but also harmless.

Sports are metaphors for war

Now I recall why I never respond to your threads.  I'm out.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Wars are caused by menstruation envy.

I thought everyone knew that.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

SC's right: sports superstitions are silly but innocuous and probably provide some psychological -- albeit placebo -- benefit to the athletes who indulge in them. There are far worse things.

So loosen up, pop some corn, sit back, and enjoy Bull Durham. Hell, I'd wear women's panties and try to breathe through my eyelids if it kept my fast ball under control and I got to bed Susan Sarandon.
Might be this one

[Image: c6e93a1e-0d94-445f-b961-31181cb6ca9a.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Of comedy and sports. A HELP ME thread. Brian37 9 1178 October 15, 2021 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Abusive sports fans. 0P Brian37 20 1703 June 7, 2021 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Sports, football vs figure skating...... Brian37 11 946 January 16, 2021 at 8:20 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Ok sports fans, no matter the sport........ Brian37 7 507 December 12, 2020 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The myth of the draft in pro sports. Brian37 3 516 December 29, 2019 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Should college sports players be paid? Brian37 13 2299 October 2, 2019 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Marginalized sports viocjit 49 5217 August 1, 2019 at 8:27 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Anyone into combat sports? EgoDeath 24 2110 March 17, 2019 at 10:22 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Will be walking the sports plank soon. Brian37 4 1035 February 4, 2019 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: outtathereligioncloset
  Where sports/politics and religion meet. Brian37 0 469 January 28, 2019 at 9:47 am
Last Post: Brian37