Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 7:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Losing my religion was the best thing that ever happened to me.
Losing my religion was the best thing that ever happened to me.
Losing my religion is perhaps the best thing that has happened to me. Religion forced me to be in denial and suppressed my right to explore and express myself freely and in ways that make me happy. Now that I've put the Santa Clause for adults in a box with the rest of my childhood toys, I'm much happier and self aware as a person than I ever was before.

Has losing your religion been the best thing, or one of the best things to happen in your life as well?
RE: Losing my religion was the best thing that ever happened to me.
https://youtu.be/7ErNvnpMaE4
Best thing that ever happened to me was becoming a father.

Losing my religion was a very good thing to happen to me, because it made it easier for me to understand the world without looking at it through a religious worldview.

And if I may be shallow for a moment, it made my life better in that I get to sleep in on Sundays.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(November 4, 2016 at 2:05 pm)Mechaghostman2 Wrote: Has losing your religion been the best thing, or one of the best things to happen in your life as well?

I didn't have a religion to lose in the first place.
It's certainly not the greatest thing in my life, but it's not bad...

Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
It certainly made life more simple. No more worrying about judgement for arbitrary rules, no more questions about the nature of god, no more wrestling with irrational and illogical ideas....religion is a complicated sack of nonsense that everyone wants to pretend they understand.
(November 4, 2016 at 2:05 pm)Mechaghostman2 Wrote: Losing my religion is perhaps the best thing that has happened to me. Religion forced me to be in denial and suppressed my right to explore and express myself freely and in ways that make me happy. Now that I've put the Santa Clause for adults in a box with the rest of my childhood toys, I'm much happier and self aware as a person than I ever was before.

Has losing your religion been the best thing, or one of the best things to happen in your life as well?

That's awesome man. I can also say that losing my religion was ONE OF the best things to happen to me.

When I was a Christian I always felt guilty. Guilty about eating junk food, guilty about masturbation (I'm sure I would have felt guilty about sex too had I not become an atheist before age 15), guilty about playing videos games, not reading the bible enough, not praying enough, having negative thoughts, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Then I realized that I never really believed in any of that stuff and started to learn that feeling guilty or not guilty is sort of irrelevant. There's some things that are bad for you and some things that are good for you - period. Do things for yourself that are constructive and avoid things that are destructive. There's really no necessity for guilt at all in most parts of life. It's sort of a silly emotion and is only helpful in certain situations in my opinion.
“Love is the only bow on Life’s dark cloud. It is the morning and the evening star. It shines upon the babe, and sheds its radiance on the quiet tomb. It is the mother of art, inspirer of poet, patriot and philosopher.

It is the air and light of every heart – builder of every home, kindler of every fire on every hearth. It was the first to dream of immortality. It fills the world with melody – for music is the voice of love.

Love is the magician, the enchanter, that changes worthless things to Joy, and makes royal kings and queens of common clay. It is the perfume of that wondrous flower, the heart, and without that sacred passion, that divine swoon, we are less than beasts; but with it, earth is heaven, and we are gods.” - Robert. G. Ingersoll

There was just so little of my life up to the point where I lost religion that I hardly remember it any better than I do my circumcision.
(November 4, 2016 at 4:25 pm)Bella Morte Wrote:
(November 4, 2016 at 2:05 pm)Mechaghostman2 Wrote: Has losing your religion been the best thing, or one of the best things to happen in your life as well?

I didn't have a religion to lose in the first place.

Same.

Living alone was the best thing to ever happen to me. I'm happier without having people trying to run MY life for me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing I saw on a site that I want to comment on ShinyCrystals 5 323 March 21, 2024 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
Information The worst thing according to Iranians Eclectic 2 826 September 19, 2022 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: Eclectic
  A possibly new perspective on this thing that we know as God. unityconversation 157 14007 March 18, 2020 at 1:08 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4192 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the forum.... jessieban 39 3683 June 21, 2019 at 8:11 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Famous people losing their religion: stories Fake Messiah 14 2720 May 21, 2018 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  The Nice Thing About Being An Atheist JackRussell 83 27632 July 21, 2017 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Are the far right Christians here in the U.S. just upset they're losing power GoHalos1993 52 7671 June 9, 2016 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  What ever happened to Ellen Johnson? Jehanne 1 2914 March 6, 2016 at 2:29 pm
Last Post: Vincenzo Vinny G.
  Atheism and Anti-Theism same thing? ErGingerbreadMandude 114 17216 February 2, 2016 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky