Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
On Logic and Alternate Universes
On Logic and Alternate Universes
Let's first define what we mean by "logic" [1].

Merriam Webster Wrote:logic
play

noun  log·ic \ˈlä-jik\
Popularity: Top 10% of words
Simple Definition of logic

• [b]A:[/b] a proper or reasonable way of thinking about or understanding something

• [b]B:[/b] a particular way of thinking about something

• [b]C:[/b] the science that studies the formal processes used in thinking and reasoning

if we have a look at 1C, we can see that logic can be said to be a formal set of axioms by which we do our thinking and reasoning. The name we give to the logic of this universe is conveniently "logic". 

Let's look at "logical" [2].

Merriam Webster Wrote:logical
play

adjective  log·i·cal \ˈlä-ji-kəl\
Popularity: Top 40% of words
Simple Definition of logical

• [b]A:[/b] agreeing with the rules of logic : sensible or reasonable

• [b]B:[/b] of or relating to the formal processes used in thinking and reasoning

Now, let's hypothesize about an alternate universe. This universe would have its own logic (1C - ...the formal processes used in thinking and reasoning.) by which beings would reason within this universe, and for the sake of convenience, let's call it "goblygoop". Let's also give goblygoop a new entry: according to goblygoop, 2 + 2 = 5 is actually true. 

Now, the question is, "is goblygoop logical?". Initially it seems like it isn't, because according to 2A goblygoop needs to agree to the rules of 'logic' (our logic in this universe), which it doesn't. But obviously, that answer is relative to this universe. We can see that goblygoop does in fact conform with 2B, since goblygoop is the way in which thinking and reasoning would work in that universe. Therefore, goblygoop is a form of logic (1C) and it can be said to be logical (2B).

The list of "inb4's"

"But 2 + 2 = 5 is not true! Don't you know that it's 4?" - yes, according to our conditioned mind in this universe, that is the answer. But it won't be the same answer in goblygoop. 

"But 2 + 2 will always equal 4 no matter what." - no, that is a bare assertion. 2 + 2 didn't have to equal 4 in this universe. The mere roll of the dice made it so.

"But you're using our logic to prove their logic!" - no, my aim isn't to prove any of their axioms. I'm simply saying that an arbitrary set of axioms can by all accounts be considered "logical", even if that logic won't make sense here. It's all relative to the universe you're in.

EDIT: for the purposes of polling you guys, give kudos if you agree, or comment if you disagree.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
RE: On Logic and Alternate Universes
I agree initially, but I haven't thought deep enough about this specific topic. It looks like it makes sense. If I ever care enough, I will ponder it more.
Quote:"But 2 + 2 will always equal 4 no matter what." - no, that is a bare assertion. 2 + 2 didn't have to equal 4 in this universe. The mere roll of the dice made it so.

Ok, this one I'm very iffy about.
(November 5, 2016 at 1:48 am)Irrational Wrote:
Quote:"But 2 + 2 will always equal 4 no matter what." - no, that is a bare assertion. 2 + 2 didn't have to equal 4 in this universe. The mere roll of the dice made it so.

Ok, this one I'm very iffy about.

You are iffy because it's a dumb idea.  That's because 2+2=4 isn't a rule or a set property-- it's simply a label.  If there were a universe where math worked differently, you'd just have different labels for whatever THAT reality was.  In any universe where there are 2 and 2, and the capacity to add, it will always be 4-- whatever you choose to call it. And if 2 + 2 = magic unicorn, then magic unicorn is just another representation of "4."
(November 5, 2016 at 2:38 am)bennyboy Wrote:
(November 5, 2016 at 1:48 am)Irrational Wrote: Ok, this one I'm very iffy about.

You are iffy because it's a dumb idea.  That's because 2+2=4 isn't a rule or a set property-- it's simply a label.  If there were a universe where math worked differently, you'd just have different labels for whatever THAT reality was.  In any universe where there are 2 and 2, and the capacity to add, it will always be 4-- whatever you choose to call it. And if 2 + 2 = magic unicorn, then magic unicorn is just another representation of "4."

But goblygoop giving them 5 is okay, or not?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(November 5, 2016 at 3:37 am)FallentoReason Wrote:
(November 5, 2016 at 2:38 am)bennyboy Wrote: You are iffy because it's a dumb idea.  That's because 2+2=4 isn't a rule or a set property-- it's simply a label.  If there were a universe where math worked differently, you'd just have different labels for whatever THAT reality was.  In any universe where there are 2 and 2, and the capacity to add, it will always be 4-- whatever you choose to call it.  And if 2 + 2 = magic unicorn, then magic unicorn is just another representation of "4."

But goblygoop giving them 5 is okay, or not?

That symbol '5' would still represent the concept 4, no?
(November 5, 2016 at 3:39 am)Irrational Wrote:
(November 5, 2016 at 3:37 am)FallentoReason Wrote: But goblygoop giving them 5 is okay, or not?

That symbol '5' would still represent the concept 4, no?

No, because to them that isn't logical, remember?
(November 5, 2016 at 3:40 am)FallentoReason Wrote:
(November 5, 2016 at 3:39 am)Irrational Wrote: That symbol '5' would still represent the concept 4, no?

No, because to them that isn't logical, remember?

I'm still not sure how you have arrived at that truth. Logically speaking (i.e. using the logic that we hold dear to), we can rule out the logical possibility of concept(2) + concept(2) = concept(5). As such, even if it was somehow true that logic is wrong in this case, it would be true despite our logic. But if it is true despite our logic, then I'm not sure how we can ever know it's true.
(November 5, 2016 at 2:38 am)bennyboy Wrote:
(November 5, 2016 at 1:48 am)Irrational Wrote: Ok, this one I'm very iffy about.

l agree, 4 is a label for whatever is the sum of 2 and 2.
Maybe one should rephrase the question like this: could there be a universe in which intelligent beings cannot consistently set up the peano axioms?

A physics question as the next step: could there be a universe in which intelligent beings construct the natural numbers via something like the peano axioms, but those cannot be mapped to units of stuff in the world. We can assign the natural number 2 to a configuration of matter which is somehow grouped into two units (e.g two atoms, two balls), and if we take another of this grouping and employ our previous counting prescription for lumps of matter based on the peano axioms, will we get 2+2?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(November 5, 2016 at 3:57 am)Irrational Wrote:
(November 5, 2016 at 3:40 am)FallentoReason Wrote: No, because to them that isn't logical, remember?

I'm still not sure how you have arrived at that truth. Logically speaking (i.e. using the logic that we hold dear to), we can rule out the logical possibility of concept(2) + concept(2) = concept(5). As such, even if it was somehow true that logic is wrong in this case, it would be true despite our logic. But if it is true despite our logic, then I'm not sure how we can ever know it's true.

We can't arrive at that truth using our logic, because our logic only works in this universe. But in a universe governed by goblygoop, 2 + 2 does equal 5. They could ask the same questions about our answer being 4, or not?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The evolution of logic ignoramus 3 913 October 7, 2019 at 7:34 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Let us go back to "cold" hard logic."Time" Mystic 75 11176 November 10, 2017 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Logic Fallacies: A Quiz to Test Your Knowledge, A Cheat Sheet to Refresh It Rhondazvous 0 981 March 6, 2017 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Formal logic for Dummies? LadyForCamus 48 8637 February 6, 2016 at 8:35 am
Last Post: robvalue
  10 commandments of logic meme drfuzzy 10 3550 January 2, 2016 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Logic 101 Tiberius 29 19213 October 4, 2015 at 7:40 am
Last Post: robvalue
  10 commandments of logic drfuzzy 15 4858 August 28, 2015 at 5:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Logic tells me God doesn't exist but my heart says otherwise. Mystic 81 17326 October 17, 2014 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Practical Applications of Apologetic Logic DeistPaladin 5 1559 July 28, 2014 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: ShaMan
  Formal Logic Classes OGirly 8 2975 March 29, 2014 at 6:06 pm
Last Post: MindForgedManacle