Our server costs ~$33 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: 20th January 2017, 14:03

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is mathematics discovered, developed, or both?
Is mathematics discovered, developed, or both?
Basically the title. What do you think? Time to debate.
RE: Is mathematics discovered, developed, or both?
(6th November 2016, 11:43)Macoleco Wrote: Basically the title. What do you think? Time to debate.

Mostly (if not completely) developed.
Developed.
God(s) and religions are man made and the bane of humanity. 

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. Ozzy or Twain/take your pick
All of math was developed, even the bits we "discovered". There was a thread a few years ago about whether Pi was discovered or invented.

Its a bit of both. Pi as a number was discovered, however the way it's defined (as the ratio of a circle's diameter to its circumference) is entirely invented. Circles are a human invention; they don't appear in nature.
But what if we compare it to physics, or chemistry? It is discovered, and developed at the same time.

If mathematics is the purest science there is, isnt mathematics the study of the universe as a whole? I believe there is a bit of both.
I'd just say they're all man-made models and concepts used to describe things, they don't exist in themselves as something.
In my opinion, ideally, it is a discovery: one sets certain axioms as a starting point and discovers the tree of theorems which results from them. In reality, a lot of developing is going on, namely shaping and formulating the concepts with which one works. For instance, the concept of connectedness or simple connectedness was developed by mathematicians to express certain properties of sets. The rules which sets have this property and what other properties such sets have, is something that is discovered by formulating conjectures and proving them.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Go do some arithmetic in base -pi.

Then get back to me . . . .
If any email controversy impacted the election, it wasn't Russian hacking of the DNC and  John Podesta's email, it was Hillary Clinton's decision to have her own email server and the subsequent FBI investigation which raised all the same  questions  Hillary Clinton has justifiably faced for decades about her trustworthiness and honesty.

(6th November 2016, 12:59)Alex K Wrote: In my opinion, ideally, it is a discovery: one sets certain axioms as a starting point and discovers the tree of theorems which results from them. In reality, a lot of developing is going on, namely shaping and formulating the concepts with which one works. For instance, the concept of connectedness or simple connectedness was developed by mathematicians to express certain properties of sets. The rules which sets have this property and what other properties such sets have, is something that is discovered by formulating conjectures and proving them.

Pretty much the way it seems to me too.  The discoveries all take place within a domain we've completely contrived.  Learning mathematics feels like discovering immutable facts but those facts depend entirely on the definitions we've chosen.
Belief .. is the insistence that the truth is what one would .. wish it to be. The believer will open his mind to the truth on the condition that it fits in with his preconceived ideas and wishes. 

Faith, on the other hand, is an unreserved opening of the mind to the truth, whatever it may turn out to be.  

- Alan Watts, The Wisdom of Insecurity
the concept of mathematics is a human invention, but the relations we can see in nature are things we can discover. nature has not just one mathematical property, it has only mathematical properties. so even though we created the concept of mathematics and use a human language to describe the patterns we see, we can still find more and more patterns in nature that follow the same principles.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can mathematics act causally? Freedom of thought 6 1337 30th May 2014, 12:53
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  Was pi invented or discovered? alpha male 101 22380 25th July 2013, 12:16
Last Post: little_monkey
  Imaginary friends of mathematics. Anymouse 6 3547 20th March 2012, 14:04
Last Post: mannaka
  Mathematics and the Universe Purple Rabbit 77 19774 10th January 2009, 06:27
Last Post: DD_8630
  Indeterminism in mathematics josef rosenkranz 9 3940 27th September 2008, 11:20
Last Post: josef rosenkranz