Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mythology and Religion
Mythology and Religion
Mythology before what we consider it today was regarded as Religion many years ago. Over time, we thought "Oh hey we have a different belief lets call that religion a Myth" and regarded it as folktales and stories. Over time, do you think there will be a time when Christianity and Islam and all the religions we have today will also be called Myth? 

Just a random thought, no idea of what to make of it.
[Image: jXlSl4b.png]
RE: Mythology and Religion
(November 6, 2016 at 11:47 am)Death Wrote: Mythology before what we consider it today was regarded as Religion many years ago. Over time, we thought "Oh hey we have a different belief lets call that religion a Myth" and regarded it as folktales and stories. Over time, do you think there will be a time when Christianity and Islam and all the religions we have today will also be called Myth? 

I'm pretty sure mythology and religion are two different things, although related to one another.
The time is now, I call them myths Smile
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Short answer, yes. They are all fantasy. The belief is an unfortunate accepted societal delusion.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Religion is mythology that gets tax breaks.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 6, 2016 at 11:51 am)Irrational Wrote:
(November 6, 2016 at 11:47 am)Death Wrote: Mythology before what we consider it today was regarded as Religion many years ago. Over time, we thought "Oh hey we have a different belief lets call that religion a Myth" and regarded it as folktales and stories. Over time, do you think there will be a time when Christianity and Islam and all the religions we have today will also be called Myth? 

I'm pretty sure mythology and religion are two different things, although related to one another.

Well I think Mythology is what was called religion back in the day
(November 6, 2016 at 12:11 pm)Death Wrote:
(November 6, 2016 at 11:51 am)Irrational Wrote: I'm pretty sure mythology and religion are two different things, although related to one another.

Well I think Mythology is what was called religion back in the day

When I think mythology, I think stories attempting to explain why and how things in the world work the way they do by invoking the divine and/or the supernatural.

Religion is a bigger thing (system of rituals and doctrines and morality and such) that may or may not encompass some mythology that provides some context to the religion itself.
(November 6, 2016 at 12:22 pm)Irrational Wrote:
(November 6, 2016 at 12:11 pm)Death Wrote: Well I think Mythology is what was called religion back in the day

When I think mythology, I think stories attempting to explain why and how things in the world work the way they do by invoking the divine and/or the supernatural.

Religion is a bigger thing (system of rituals and doctrines and morality and such) that may or may not encompass some mythology that provides some context to the religion itself.

Well I suppose they are just related in many ways then
(November 6, 2016 at 11:51 am)Irrational Wrote:

Not if you're not invested in a religion.
Follow the money.

An active religion generates income, filthy lucre, as it were.

Our mythological pantheon is profoundly disappointing when you look at the balance sheet.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4029 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Jesus Christ in comparative mythology orangedude 2 1169 October 9, 2015 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: goodwithoutgod
  Is no Religion a Religion. Artur Axmann 76 16355 June 14, 2014 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Muslim Atheism