Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 5:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
God exists subjectively?
God exists subjectively?
We view ourselves as our consciousness, I believe?  While physically, we exist in the true physical world, our consciousness only experiences our perception of the true physical world.  And that perception of the world is stored in our brain.  What sound does a dog make?  "Bark."  Of course, sound doesn't really exist, that's just a wave that we only perceive as what we think of as sound in our head after our brain gets a hold of it.  So is sound real or not?  I'd say subjectively, it is, even though it's not?

So we live in two worlds.  The physical world that obeys the laws of physics, math, logic, science, etc...  And the perception of the world, which does it's own thing.  If I think I can fly, in my perception of the world, I can fly.  At least until I try to fly, at which point I will fail, and the laws of the world stored in my brain will change "Flying" from "yup" to "nope."  

The same goes with Santa Clause.  As adults, we know more about the 'real' world, to know that the physics of flying reindeer and traveling the earth in one night, etc.. isn't possible, and that's reflected in our perception of the world.  

But a kid's perception of the world isn't governed by those things yet.  So in their mind, Santa exists.  And you could theoretically point to where he exists in their reality in their brain.  Much like a dream, the rules that govern our perception are iffy.  In a dream, you could fly, because in a dream you are fully creating your reality outside of the reach of the true physical world, even though you are still inside the true physical world.  Sort of like writing a book. Bob can fly in the book. People can't fly, and Bob doesn't exist, but Bob exists in the story, and he can fly. So what's Bob, and can he fly?

Is God any different.  For a person that believes in God, God exists in their perception of reality.  And our consciousness experiences life through our perception of reality.  So it is real to them.  To the point, theoretically, we could point in their brain where God exists.  We know God doesn't exist in "true reality" because we've updated our perception of reality with more rules and laws than they have.  But believers perceived realities aren't affected by that.  
---

I made this about God, because that's what people here like to talk about.  But my real interest is how much credence we should give to our perception of reality vs. reality.  Which is more real to an individual?  How should we treat the physical aspect of our perceived reality that exists in our brain, and how should we treat others' perceived reality?

If we were to view our perceived reality as valid, we Atheists could also get some things we want (or already haev thanks to this).  Morality?  Boom, got it.  Value?  Sure, got it.  Meaning? Heaps of it!  Those things are just more perceived ideas that don't exist in the real reality, but exist in our perceived reality.
RE: God exists subjectively?
What do you mean by subjective existence?
This is why I always want to separate the belief that a god exists from the independent existence of an actual god. I have no doubt the former exist as real (subjectively) for at least some believers. To tell them that it doesn't would be counterfactual - for god as a subjective entity. Might just as well tell someone the love they feel for their mate is just in their head. So what? Where else should it be? If xtians could just let the big, bad, omni god out there go and embrace a personal god it sure would make communication easier on both sides.
Concepts that exist purely in the mind are real, to the extent that the individual can conceptualize the existence of something in the mind that clearly does not exist in reality outside of the mind.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(November 6, 2016 at 2:15 pm)Maelstrom Wrote: Concepts that exist purely in the mind are real, to the extent that the individual can conceptualize the existence of something in the mind that clearly does not exist in reality outside of the mind.

But it can get them through the nights. That's why I always keep saying, believe what you want if it rocks your boat. I only get upset if someone tries to shove their individual believes on the population at large.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Personally, I'd say that sound -does- really exist, even if we cant hear it (ultra/infra sound) and even if our perception of it is not strictly speaking, accurate as to what it is.  Seems more like an issue of two disparate subjects.  Does sound exist.  Is our perception accurate.  The latter can be false while the former is true, and as such it;s not proper to draw an inference in that direction, that -because- our perception is/may be inaccurate, sound doesn't really exist.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
God doesn't exist in the mind. The concept of God exists in the mind. Superman doesn't exist in the mind. The concept of Superman exists in the mind.

Now here's a question: Does the imagination exist? And here's another: Does imaginaryness exist? And here's another: is there a difference between the two previous questions?
Meh, I'd say it's 6 of one half dozen of the other.  If all god -is- is a concept, then the concept of god existing in the mind and god existing in the mind are just two ways of saying the same thing.  I'm sure some apologist would have a field day if you gave them an inch, but i like to leave enough rope to tie a noose, lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Is this what Schroedinger and his cat was all about?

That the perception of reality we exist in has different truth's than the 'true' reality?  That the cat may be dead in the real world, but in my perception of the real world, it could be alive or dead, and only by opening the box to see, I effectively make it dead in my perception of the real world, as well.
re concept vs. real, we only experience concepts, because everything we interact with/know is just a data version of it stored in our brain.
(November 6, 2016 at 2:48 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: God doesn't exist in the mind. The concept wish for God exists in the mind. Superman doesn't exist in the mind. The concept of Superman exists in the mind.

Fixed that for you.  They do so want their fairy tales to be true.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God exists because we can imagine it Heat 46 7747 December 6, 2015 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  What do we do while deciding if free will exists? henryp 57 9784 April 20, 2015 at 9:56 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If God exists but doesn't do anything, how would we know? And would it matter? TaraJo 7 3989 January 26, 2013 at 11:14 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Do your beliefs imply a Necessary being exists? CliveStaples 124 47056 August 29, 2012 at 5:22 am
Last Post: Categories+Sheaves
  If you were certain a designer exists... Mystic 10 4232 July 21, 2012 at 1:37 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  A One In An infinity Chance That God Exists. What Do You Guys Think? amateurlyinsightful 82 29591 July 6, 2012 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: amateurlyinsightful
  I believe everything exists. Edwardo Piet 23 5331 November 2, 2010 at 4:46 am
Last Post: Ervin
  Everything exists TruthWorthy 33 16677 March 10, 2010 at 5:40 am
Last Post: Violet