Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Dear Atheists
Dear Atheists
Dear Atheists,

A warm welcome from a friendly Christian who is interested to hear from you and is willing to listen deeply. I respect you so much, you have courage of your convictions and are truly free thinkers in a complicated world. One thing I don't understand is your constant rejection of God. Does that mean that your standards aren't met with the right definition of God? In classical Christianity God wasn't debated like it is today. One may ask back then "does God exist? "Well Yeah, I mean of course!". 

Lets get the Definitions of God right because I mean it in a plural sense, I do believe in multiple definitions. It could be the ground of being, a transcendent being wholly apart from the Universe but immanent and involved in the Universe. But how do you see God or feel him? Feeling is the key word and synonymous with personal experience. Let's forget about Christianity for a minute and look at wider cultures in our beautiful world traditions. Mystics though out the ages have practiced deep contemplation, meditation, and prayer. They have all reported findings that are so important when once experienced, may be one of the most life changing phenomenon we can have. Neuroscience is trying to understand prayer and meditation at the level of the brain so it's very much in concordance with evidence. Now the question is how creative are you going to be? Are you going to use your experience in prayer or meditation to link or confirm your experience or contact with God in Christ and believe he is Lord? Or Allah? It's up to you to interpret your experience in the confines of a religion or no religion at all, which is fine too.

The reason I'm a Christian is because I feel the presence of God and that is evidence. The second is I believe he historically existed but I don't believe he said everything the same way as reported in the gospels. I don't even think he considered himself God. Why am i placing so much importance in the presence of God in my life? I think because it correlates directly to the Resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ. The Disciples had a strong experience of the Lord after his death that he is a living reality in the present. But the reality they experienced was so strong that it was a "divine reality" being one with God and at the right hand of God.

Many of these experiences were visions or revelations. I don't believe in a physical or literal resurrection: as if the corpse of Jesus letter-to-letter transformed to another body. What are visions? I think it's unfair to classify them as hallucinations as if its a drug induced thing. But in a vision you can see a person, for example a passed away relative. You can see them and hold them and even talk to them. They can talk back and tell you things. Because the disciples had physical contact with the real Jesus in his real body when he was living on earth, I believe their memories of him telling them things was re introduced in their visions and experience: so I can imagine they're memory off shooting and repeating the phrase " I love you Peter" for example in the vision. So the Lord would have said that twice to Peter. Once in real life and once in the vision.

People might say well they're just visions, its just a experience they had why hold it to such high self esteem? Because anybody who's had a experience or a vision doesn't say "it's only a vision". It's rock solid fact, and it creates reality. And its one of the most important things they will ever remember even in their dying breath.

Thank you so much for reading, I hope you Always stay blessed and think of Good.

Best Wishes

P.S I hope this doesn't come across as proyselytizing. Argue
RE: Dear Atheists
This belongs in the introduction section?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Quote:One thing I don't understand is your constant rejection of God.

Which god?  Humanity has created so many.  Personally I think Odin is much cooler than yhwh but both are equally fictitious.
@Minimalist I think the fact humans created Gods doesn't negate the idea of him. Because the idea exists within our minds. i don't think you can say Jesus is fictitious since he existed. Odin is pretty cool.
I do not believe in any gods. Nor am I compelled to take seriously your claim that you feel gods presence.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Quote:One thing I don't understand is your constant rejection of God.

Define god, for starters.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I bet you, it's the one as described by your particular denomination. It's not Allah, it's not the jewish god, probably not the Catholic one and certainly not Vishnu.

Why do you reject them all?

I for one don't believe in any scripted god. I don't believe in any higher being poofing the universe into existence to create a pet project called humans. The world's history stands against that. If you don't accept the earth being billions of years old and our species only having clocked off a few million years, it's probably useless to debate you in any case.

So, god, as scripted in your bible is out of the window anyway.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
My apologies Maelstrom.

@chimp3 I would think you would take it seriously since It doesn't involve anything supernatural.

@abaris Hi Abaris. Yes i believe in evolution it's one of the most beautiful things I ever heard. I actually don't reject Allah or Vishnu I believe them all equally it's just I'm a Christian due to personal history. If i were born in Israel I would be Jewish. This is Richard Dawkin's point right? It's a very good point.

I think God is a creation of human minds, so we agree there, no argument. But i think he's transcendent in love and morals. So God is a lot of things but most importantly i think he is love.
Hello.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Hi brewer, how are you?
@ParagonLost

Do you believe in the independent existence of a God which has any interesting concrete properties beyond the generalities you mention above? If so, why?

Being the "ground of all being" or "being apart from the universe, but involved in it" are, if not contradictory, so general that they are nearly meaningless and not sufficient to really specify what you even mean by "God".
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear God, please soften their hearts... zwanzig 12 1011 August 6, 2023 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3371 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Dear Xristards Don't Pick On Muslims Minimalist 20 2555 July 24, 2017 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Dear god dyresand 14 1703 May 3, 2016 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Dear Satan dyresand 9 2474 April 30, 2016 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Dear christians... dyresand 1 1110 April 2, 2016 at 4:02 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
Question Dear Christians: What does your god actually do? Aractus 144 49444 October 9, 2015 at 6:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Dear Theists Foxaèr 79 14963 September 25, 2015 at 11:20 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Dear Christians Phatt Matt s 70 12763 April 4, 2014 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Phatt Matt s
  Oh Dear...Whatever Will They Do in Oklahoma? Minimalist 20 6951 March 17, 2014 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas