Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friends Across the Pond: Why You Should Not Give Up On America
Friends Across the Pond: Why You Should Not Give Up On America
Clinton won the popular vote. The eleector4al college declared Trump the winner even before all the votes had come in, so his victory does not reflect what the people here want.
http://www.democracynow.org/2016/11/9/a_...trump_wins
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Friends Across the Pond: Why You Should Not Give Up On America
That's not the reason why I don't give up on America. It's the people I know and it's the polls that always show a very liberal minded America as opposed to the angry old white men still running the show.

I also said I'm not the one to throw the first stone, since things don't look any better in Europe at the moment and it will get worse before there's hope of it getting better. The raging chimp syndrome is back with a vengeance, otherwise known as nationalism.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
More whining. John Nichols would not be making this argument if Clinton won the election and Trump got the popular vote.
(November 9, 2016 at 7:09 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Clinton won the popular vote.

You'll have to explain what's so redeeming about that.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(November 9, 2016 at 7:13 pm)abaris Wrote: That's not the reason why I don't give up on America. It's the people I know and it's the polls that always show a very liberal minded America as opposed to the angry old white men still running the show.

I also said I'm not the one to throw the first stone, since things don't look any better in Europe at the moment and it will get worse before there's hope of it getting better. The raging chimp syndrome is back with a vengeance, otherwise known as nationalism.
Nationalism may always be a problem here because Americans are scared shitless of a unified world, equating it with the antichrist. In Europe, at least in some parts of western Europe where religion is a non issue, nationalism is run by a different engine.

Just by talking to people in my town, I think there are a lot more atheists than are willing to come out and so, and a lot of people who aren’t impressed by Trumps declaration that he is a Christian.

But it’s obvious that the electoral college, whoever they are, is made up of the old boys club. I do hope that changes sooner than later.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
Yeah, we can commiserate with the Brexiteers on our joint way to third-world status.
(November 9, 2016 at 8:32 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: In Europe, at least in some parts of western Europe where religion is a non issue, nationalism is run by a different engine.  

In that you would be wrong. As I said in response to min in another thread, the rightwingers reintroduce christianity into the political agenda. The ones already in power, Poland and Hungary, run strong on the christian national ticket. In Poland an outright party of catholic fanatics, who tried to roll back on the already strict polish abortion laws and only got stopped short by thousands of women taking the streets. In Hungary the appeal to the christian nation to lock the doors for refugees of any other religion. Of course, muslims, if there was any doubt.

In Western Europe, as I also said in response to min, the churches are actually opposing the far right in instrumentalising religion. The Western European churches are largely liberal whereas Eastern Europe faced something like a religious backclash in the wake of the Iron Curtain falling. It was the forbidden fruit during the communist regimes and the churches are much more conservative than in other countries.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I'm not giving up on it, personally. I just think it's poetic time it reaped the fuck you attitude it sowed into the world. And that will happen I think if this election ends up blowing in everyone else's faces as well.
(November 9, 2016 at 8:43 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: I'm not giving up on it, personally. I just think it's poetic time it reaped the fuck you attitude it sowed into the world. And that will happen I think if this election ends up blowing in everyone else's faces as well.

Yeah - that's what we're afraid of.

[Image: nuclearexplosion.jpg]
(November 9, 2016 at 8:47 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(November 9, 2016 at 8:43 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: I'm not giving up on it, personally. I just think it's poetic time it reaped the fuck you attitude it sowed into the world. And that will happen I think if this election ends up blowing in everyone else's faces as well.

Yeah - that's what we're afraid of.

[Image: nuclearexplosion.jpg]

I don't respond to half-assed comments except to point out what they are.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point is America no longer a safe place for me to live? TaraJo 41 3717 July 16, 2022 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Why NATO doesn't give to Ukraine plan of membership? Interaktive 39 1461 April 24, 2022 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  America. Worse than North Korea. deepend 195 6778 March 26, 2022 at 2:05 pm
  Can America ever truly pay for its sins? T.J. 111 6899 January 10, 2022 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Should I stay or should I go? POLITICAL op/ed Brian37 53 6717 August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Ayn Rand blamed for current state of America Foxaèr 61 2875 June 24, 2021 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: no one
  The Republican America Foxaèr 19 1077 November 23, 2020 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Make America Nice Again Secular Elf 53 3485 November 9, 2020 at 6:20 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why you should fear Trump's pick for Supreme Court Judge Foxaèr 75 3952 October 31, 2020 at 10:52 am
  Let's give the orange turd a nobel prize. ignoramus 15 1183 September 25, 2019 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Shell B