Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
End the Electoral College?
End the Electoral College?
I think it is high time we change the system and end the electoral college. Popular vote any one?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

RE: End the Electoral College?
Yep you guys definitely should
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
Nope. I like it. Just change it away from winner takes all.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 10, 2016 at 9:30 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Nope. I like it. Just change it away from winner takes all.

Why do you like it? People in smaller states get more voting power. That's inherently unfair.
whichever party has most recently benefitted from winning the EC despite losing the popular vote will always impeded any efforts to change it
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(November 10, 2016 at 9:32 am)Tiberius Wrote:
(November 10, 2016 at 9:30 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Nope. I like it. Just change it away from winner takes all.

Why do you like it? People in smaller states get more voting power. That's inherently unfair.

Not smaller states, states with smaller populations. Take it away and you've just made another minority even greater than the minority than we already are. We might as well not exist in the federal arena. 

Then the Senate is unfair also. Why should tiny NE get the same two votes that CA gets? NE's population is so small that they shouldn't count.
I favor revising it so that each state's electoral votes are awarded to candidates in proportion to their share of the state's popular vote outcome.
While I do feel the electoral college is rather undemocratic, I don't think getting rid of it is a good idea either.

Clinton won about 60% of California. California's population is roughly 37 million (using total pop vs voting pop for simplicity). That means Clinton would get a little more than 22 million and Trump would get 15 million. Trump would have to win nearly 100% of the 8 least populated states to make up for that. That would give big, populated states a lot of power. Although the EC system favors smaller states it allows them to have a say in the system that would be impossible in a popular system.

I think states should be able to split their electoral votes, like Nebraska and Maine already can.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(November 10, 2016 at 9:55 am)Crossless1 Wrote: I favor revising it so that each state's electoral votes are awarded to candidates in proportion to their share of the state's popular vote outcome.

In other words, get rid of the "winner takes all" electoral votes in that state. Tie it to the votes within the congressional districts. The districts get redrawn as the population shifts within them. It would then mirror the popular vote.
(November 10, 2016 at 10:15 am)mh.brewer Wrote:
(November 10, 2016 at 9:55 am)Crossless1 Wrote: I favor revising it so that each state's electoral votes are awarded to candidates in proportion to their share of the state's popular vote outcome.

In other words, get rid of the "winner takes all" electoral votes in that state. Tie it to the votes within the congressional districts. The districts get redrawn as the population shifts within them. It would then mirror the popular vote.

As I imagine it, the congressional districts would only be meaningful for selecting representatives to the House. For the presidential election, I would propose simply taking the total vote tally in each state and then apportioning the state's electoral votes to the candidates according to their performance. For example, if a state has 18 electoral votes and candidate A gets 60% of the popular vote, then -- rounding up -- that candidate would get 11 of the 18 electoral votes with the others being distributed accordingly to the other candidate(s).

Of course, whether one rounds up or down can be significant in terms of final electoral votes. It's not a perfect solution and there would need to be some mechanism in place that everyone agrees on to ensure there are no drawn-out pissing matches over the results. And I'm not clear on how that is supposed to work in, for instance, a state like North Dakota with hardly any electoral votes and wide margins in the popular vote.

But winner-take-all is asinine and any revision to it would be better than what we now have.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trucker Protest - End all COVID Mandates Now HappySkeptic 44 1885 February 23, 2022 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  Petition to abolish the Electoral College Foxaèr 44 1726 October 19, 2020 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Electoral College DeistPaladin 43 3017 September 21, 2020 at 8:47 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  [Serious] Kuala Lumpur Islamic summit: did the night of the vassals began to end? WinterHold 16 1096 January 2, 2020 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  The End Of the Pathologization Of Intersex Amarok 1 461 July 7, 2019 at 4:00 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Mob Mentality and Electoral College eliwhitneyIII 8 652 May 11, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Trump Claims He Can Use Executive Order to End Birthright Citizenship Seraphina 43 3105 November 2, 2018 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: brewer
  How will the Trump Presidency end? (Poll) TheBeardedDude 55 14659 October 18, 2018 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Alan V
  The Republicunts Go Off The Deep End Minimalist 5 1346 March 24, 2018 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  A Little Electoral Justice Minimalist 10 1688 November 10, 2017 at 2:35 am
Last Post: Amarok