Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
If You Could Choose Your Own Desires
If You Could Choose Your Own Desires
If you could choose your own desires what desires would you choose?

In other words, if you could want whatever you wanted to want what would you want to want?

There are often many things we want but... they may not necessarily be addictions, sometimes they are, but they're certainly rather arbitrary. Like...

Also with likes and dislikes. Like, if you could choose to like whatever you wanted to like what would you choose to like?

If instead of liking the foods and music you happened to like you could chooset o like whatever foods and musics (for example) you wanted to like, what would you choose to like?

Soooo.... for example... I say music and food because.... with food, I think it's more obvious, we would choose to like best whatever food is healthiest for us if we could.... but music? No music is healthy or unhealthy... so what music would you choose to like if you could choose to like whatever music you wanted to like instead of just happening to like the music you like best?

But primarily, rather than likes or dislikes this is about desires.

I'm also interested in interests a lot though.

If you could choose to be more fascinated by certain things you wish you found less boring and instead more interesting... what would you choose to be interested in or fascinated by?

Thanks.

Just food for thought.
RE: If You Could Choose Your Own Desires
If I could really choose that, I'd choose to want to enjoy things as they are. Surely, this must be the shortcut to happiness.
If I could choose my own desires, I'd choose everything that would make me more normal. I guess I can't do that, so I will go on being weird.
I'd like to be bi.
(said to Brett Favre)

I want you to want me.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=chea...ORM=VRDGAR
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(November 12, 2016 at 6:17 am)vorlon13 Wrote: (said to Brett Favre)

I want you to want me.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=chea...ORM=VRDGAR

Shame on you for using Bing...
This is a great question, at first I thought none but thinking about it I can think of a few desires I'd change. 

I'd cut down my desire for unhealthy food.  I have a healthish body but I could be healthier.

Other than that I'm happy with my desires.  

Sometimes I think my desire for sex is too strong but I've had a lot of good times having sex.  I think it does cloud my judgement of women sometimes even if it's just temporary.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Paul, where's that quote from in your sig?
(November 12, 2016 at 6:46 am)Bella Morte Wrote: Paul, where's that quote from in your sig?

http://atheistforums.org/thread-46209.html

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(November 12, 2016 at 6:48 am)paulpablo Wrote:
(November 12, 2016 at 6:46 am)Bella Morte Wrote: Paul, where's that quote from in your sig?

http://atheistforums.org/thread-46209.html

Holy shit...

Can't say I'm surprised.

Cheers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How could we trust our consciousness ?! zainab 45 4579 December 30, 2018 at 9:08 am
Last Post: polymath257
  Does anyone own "The Moral Landscape"? robvalue 191 13376 October 18, 2018 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  My own moral + ontological argument. Mystic 37 11122 April 17, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Would you get rid of your sexual desire if you could? Macoleco 78 12173 October 16, 2017 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What could Redeem Humans? Shining_Finger 72 8962 December 6, 2015 at 10:01 am
Last Post: DespondentFishdeathMasochismo
  Should driverless cars kill their own passengers to save a pedestrian? IATIA 82 11523 November 28, 2015 at 9:15 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Do you ever wish you could just say "these people should be killed" DespondentFishdeathMasochismo 50 6938 November 27, 2015 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: DespondentFishdeathMasochismo
Tongue Just for fun: Make your own "Proof by Anselm" thedouglenz 0 827 June 10, 2014 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: thedouglenz
  A crazy thought: Could causality not be real? Freedom of thought 13 4535 May 14, 2014 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Do We Own? Walking Void 43 11798 July 21, 2013 at 4:15 am
Last Post: genkaus