Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Atheist to Forum Saying Hi....
New Atheist to Forum Saying Hi....
Hi Everyone,

I'm just introducing myself. My name is Tony. I'm 56 and have been an Atheist as long as I can remember. My parents were Roman Catholic and I was baptized but beyond that, they didn't force religion on me even though both of them were raised strict Roman Catholics. 

I live in an area that has a Catholic Church every 10 blocks or so. Almost everyone I know is Catholic. I mention this because I'm a closeted Atheist. 

I married a woman who was raised a strict Roman Catholic but she's an Atheist too... Also closeted. We have three grown sons ranging in age from 18 to 28 and I think one of our greatest accomplishments as a couple was that we raised them as critical thinkers and they're atheist as well and they're more or less, closeted too.

The reason we're closeted is because my wife's family is so beyond over the top religious, we're just trying to get along. She has an uncle and a cousin who are priests. The first thing my mother in law says to my sons when she greets them is, "Did you go to Church Sunday?" She's been getting the same answer for years but keeps asking. 

Anyway, that's my sad story lol  Wink I hope to meet similar people here!
RE: New Atheist to Forum Saying Hi....
Welcome aboard.... recovering catholicks are plentiful and it is a life long process.
Welcome.

Glad you're here.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(November 12, 2016 at 1:10 pm)TonyPhotographer Wrote: Hi Everyone,

I'm just introducing myself. My name is Tony. I'm 56 and have been an Atheist as long as I can remember. My parents were Roman Catholic and I was baptized but beyond that, they didn't force religion on me even though both of them were raised strict Roman Catholics. 

I live in an area that has a Catholic Church every 10 blocks or so. Almost everyone I know is Catholic. I mention this because I'm a closeted Atheist. 

I married a woman who was raised a strict Roman Catholic but she's an Atheist too... Also closeted. We have three grown sons ranging in age from 18 to 28 and I think one of our greatest accomplishments as a couple was that we raised them as critical thinkers and they're atheist as well and they're more or less, closeted too.

The reason we're closeted is because my wife's family is so beyond over the top religious, we're just trying to get along. She has an uncle and a cousin who are priests. The first thing my mother in law says to my sons when she greets them is, "Did you go to Church Sunday?" She's been getting the same answer for years but keeps asking. 

Anyway, that's my sad story lol  Wink I hope to meet similar people here!

Welcome and save your soul!
Welcome aboard! I'm sorry you have to keep your sanity atheism hidden.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Welcome.
Hello and welcome, Tony
Welcome Tony.

Ignore Eddy Baby, he's so lost it's unreal.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Thank you for the kind welcome everyone!
Hi tony

Get an avatar, post in some threads Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New[ish] to the forum OakTree500 15 1091 February 19, 2020 at 6:03 am
Last Post: Smedders
  I'm not saying I'm Jesus... earmuffs 17 978 October 31, 2018 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Nakara
  Old atheist, new to forum Bunburryist 25 2551 August 10, 2016 at 10:08 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  NEW TO THE FORUM GUIDE ME :P logicNartman 9 1687 July 9, 2016 at 12:24 am
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  Hi! New to the forum vendetta 16 1963 September 6, 2014 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  New to the forum vervillev 18 1915 July 11, 2014 at 2:01 am
Last Post: vervillev
  New to the forum SecularHumanistSociety 10 2052 February 8, 2014 at 11:23 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  New to the forum Blake the Heretic 33 6230 December 22, 2013 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: Blake the Heretic
  Saying hello for the 1st time ThePrimeSingularity 15 2565 November 28, 2013 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Looking for new forum home. Hobbitgirl 41 6729 November 1, 2013 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Ben Davis