Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should We Resist Trump?
Should We Resist Trump?
There are a lot of groups out there gearing up to resist Trumps policies that they're sure he will try to enact as president.  But I wonder if this is the right strategy.  People mostly fear he will curtail abortion and gay rights. Remember gay marriage was first legalized Hawaii under Bush's administration. And as for abortion, the man doesn't know whether he's coming or going. He went from being pro-choice to being pro-ofe in a matter of day because he believed that's where the votes would come from.   Instead of fighting the man, I think we'd do well to establish ourselves as a blocking block that he can ignore only at his peril.

Things Trump can do to those who resist him.
1. Use eminent domain to take all their property and give it to the big industries that support him.
2. Dry up their money in court fighting bogus criminal charges just like they did the Black Panther Party
3. Use the press to  discredit them in the eyes of their supporters
4. Eliminate funding of scientific projects

Think strategically. Resistance is a defensive strategy and no war is ever won defensively. They can hold to what they stand for and keep their missions in mind, yet set themselves up as a formidable voting block and see how fast he'll climb Mount Improbable.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Should We Fight?
10,000,000 democrats stayed home 11/8 and gave Trump the brass ring.

Maybe start with them ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

RE: Should We Resist Trump?
(November 12, 2016 at 8:28 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: There are a lot of groups out there gearing up to resist Trumps policies that they're sure he will try to enact as president.  But I wonder if this is the right strategy.  People mostly fear he will curtail abortion and gay rights. Remember gay marriage was first legalized Hawaii under Bush's administration. And as for abortion, the man doesn't know whether he's coming or going. He went from being pro-choice to being pro-ofe in a matter of day because he believed that's where the votes would come from.   Instead of fighting the man, I think we'd do well to establish ourselves as a blocking block that he can ignore only at his peril.

Things Trump can do to those who resist him.
1. Use eminent domain to take all their property and give it to the big industries that support him.
2. Dry up their money in court fighting bogus criminal charges just like they did the Black Panther Party
3. Use the press to  discredit them in the eyes of their supporters
4. Eliminate funding of scientific projects

Think strategically. Resistance is a defensive strategy and no war is ever won defensively. They can hold to what they stand for and keep their missions in mind, yet set themselves up as a formidable voting block and see how fast he'll climb Mount Improbable.

I don't think Trump has any policies, He just said shit to get elected.
This is part of his problem he is a total unknown whose word means nothing whose stance today says nothing about tomorrow.
The US just voted in a moron who will either be stunned into inaction by world events or overreact in a damaging way. They voted for the worst person at the worst time and the whole world will suffer.
Look at who supports him outside the US, Far right groups and Russia, that's all.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

What the shivering fuck America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4kNOHJqfEE

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

To answer the OPs question, you should resists - with all the tools democracy provides you with. Taking to the streets, forming or joining grassroot organisations fighting for change.

It may very well be that I find myself in the same situation in one months time. I will take the streets again, after 20 years of absence and I will look for like minded people trying to keep the damage to a minimum. I'm a member of the green party for the last 20 years because they always fought the right. Their environmental agenda was secondary for that decision. I never was an active member and I more or less forgot about it all, but now it's at the forefront of my mind again. In our situation they can make a difference since our system ensures they will always be represented at parliament, getting between 12 and 14 percent of the votes in general elections.

I also find myself in the peculiar situation that our churches are our natural allies. They also fight resentment, bigotry and most of all being intrumentalised by the right. Churches in Western Europe are nothing like Americans may be used to. Both Catholics as well as protestants stand up against exclusion, help refugees and the needy. The protestants are even socially liberal for their most part and also the Catholics have strong factions fighting for social change. Bot priests and laymen.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
You speak out against what you feel you need to. You resist in ways that will work the best for you and best for the group. I don't think that fear should be a part of your personal risk to benefits analysis.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 13, 2016 at 8:41 am)mh.brewer Wrote: I don't think that fear should be a part of your personal risk to benefits analysis.

Under some circumstances fear may play a major role. Not everyone is a hero, and I wouldn't know how courageous I'd be if the remains of my livelihood are on the lines. Or if resisting earns you a prison sentence as it already is the case in Turkey.

That's why I don't even judge the ones presenting a low profile during the nazi regime. Only the ones actively contributing.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
We shall resist him on the beaches, we shall resist him on the landing grounds, we will resist in the fields and streets ..

You know, it's just a damn shame that we didn't resist him at the ballot box where the job could most handily have been accomplished.
I don't know about resistance, but definitely watch the motherf*cker...
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
Steel knickers.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should I stay or should I go? POLITICAL op/ed Brian37 53 6896 August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why you should fear Trump's pick for Supreme Court Judge Foxaèr 75 4203 October 31, 2020 at 10:52 am
Last Post: TaraJo
  Are more Trump signs indicative of Trump winning? Dingo 15 1054 October 1, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Trump VS Trump (not exactly political news but I have no idea where to post this) Cepheus Ace 0 36884 February 12, 2019 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
  I'm awfully confused: how do Trump supporters relate to Trump NuclearEnergy 11 3137 March 7, 2017 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Trump and Conservatism As A Threat: What Should Be Done? Secular Elf 106 13470 January 19, 2017 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Is Trump's election bad for Trump's businesses? Jehanne 22 4119 November 15, 2016 at 1:03 am
Last Post: CWoods
  Donald Trump's doctor regrets saying "Trump will be the healtheist president" ReptilianPeon 3 1679 August 30, 2016 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Stephen Colbert...Trump Debates Trump Minimalist 2 1273 January 30, 2016 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  What Canada should do if trump is elected. Lemonvariable72 20 3382 January 25, 2016 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72