Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An amoral sermon
An amoral sermon
As many of you know, I still play the pipe organ for Mass occasionally.  I gave over most of my duties to another (woo-hoo!) but the choir director BEGGED me to stay.  I like those guys.  However, the sermons . . . oh some of them are so idiotic that I just have to come home and share them with you guys.

So this afternoon, the priest was telling a personal story.  He was in France (doesn't speak French) and low on Euros.  But he was a good guy, went to Mass, and put 2 Euros in the basket.  Then he stopped by a store, made a purchase, and the store clerk gave him too much change.  He couldn't speak French.  So he took this as a sign from god that he should trust and not worry.  God had taken care of him.

Now, I was watching the choir from the organ bench.  I was quite certain that the majority of the people there, if given too much change in a foreign country, would have taken some steps to return the money.   Pantomime, lay the cash out on the counter, find someone who spoke English, find someone to write a note for you and come back later.  But no, this priest just assumed that stiffing the salesman meant that god was giving him money.  And then he brags about it to a church full of sheeple - who have their brains so turned OFF that they are smiling and nodding at his story.  It was pathetic.  Just pathetic.

Thanks for listening!           

Fuzz
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
RE: An amoral sermon
Wow. I even know that a lot of Christians (and people in general) would try to return the excess money even with the language barrier. Even the few who would keep the money wouldn't go around bragging about it, especially to a crowd. The fact that people are willing to just sit there and accept this story as a moral lesson without saying anything about it is sad.

Good job, sheep. Keep doing your thing.
I always knew the organist was a spy!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

No, it's not that. There are certain people of different temperaments in the world. These people I like to call imbeciles. They tend to be religious and they tend to take the extra change and think nothing of it in your situation. They're abroad. They don't give a fuck. It's not even an issue for them. It just is. And if you confront them about such seemingly insignificant immoral behavior, even if it's more serious than that, they won't even realize what you're telling them. It just won't stick. They're somehow inherently OK with it.
(November 12, 2016 at 9:08 pm)chimp3 Wrote: I always knew the organist was a spy!

Yep.  Sitting up there on the organ bench, taking notes on the religulousness to share with atheists online.  Can't trust the organist.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
Um, do we know priest there was smart enough to noodle out the correct change in Euros ?

(Just askin')
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(November 12, 2016 at 10:15 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Um, do we know priest there was smart enough to noodle out the correct change in Euros ?

(Just askin')

THIS guy?  Probably not.    Tongue
(November 12, 2016 at 9:01 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: So this afternoon, the priest was telling a personal story.  He was in France (doesn't speak French) and low on Euros.  But he was a good guy, went to Mass, and put 2 Euros in the basket.  Then he stopped by a store, made a purchase, and the store clerk gave him too much change.  He couldn't speak French.  So he took this as a sign from god that he should trust and not worry.  God had taken care of him.

That's as low as it gets. He's not a good guy for dropping two Euros into the collection and consciously ripping off a store clerk who will have to replace the difference out of his own pocket. He just ripped off someone probably pressed for cash anyway. It's on the same lines as grabbing for grandmas wallet on the streets.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
My niece, a christer, got married last year. The vicar did a speech on compromise in marriage, but his version of compromise was that he made his wife give up playing sports on saturday, as he worked on a sunday in church and otherwise they wouldn't spend much time together. Reminded me why I don't go to church. Well that, and the not believing in gods.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
(November 13, 2016 at 11:37 am)ukatheist Wrote: My niece, a christer, got married last year. The vicar did a speech on compromise in marriage, but his version of compromise was that he made his wife give up playing sports on saturday, as he worked on a sunday in church and otherwise they wouldn't spend much time together. Reminded me why I don't go to church. Well that, and the not believing in gods.

Compromise, the word doesn't mean what you think it means, mr. preacherman
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Priestly apologetics in a sermon this a.m. drfuzzy 13 3151 April 1, 2016 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Gospel Contradictions: Sermon on the ? findingdoubt 25 10196 September 5, 2013 at 12:30 am
Last Post: Minimalist