Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 7:17 pm

Poll: Is Dialetheism TRUE, FALSE or BOTH?
This poll is closed.
TRUE
0%
0 0%
FALSE
100.00%
1 100.00%
BOTH
0%
0 0%
Total 1 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Dialetheism
Dialetheism
A fun sort of -theism. Are you an adialetheist or do you believe a statement can be both true and false at the same time ? How do you reconcile contradictions in that way, if you do ? What does this say about the nature of negation? Is negation absolute or relative - id est, is it more of a descriptive or defining quality? If it is descriptive, does that mean falsehood is a subset of truth and that truth is an ubiquitous qualia? 

Here are some examples of true contradictions that dialetheists accept [sic](Wikipedia -  Link):

The only certain knowledge we have outside of our immediate experience is that there is no certain knowledge outside of our immediate experience.

"All statements are true" is a false statement.

"There are no absolutes" is an absolute.
RE: Dialetheism
It may be the -only- fun sort of theism.  Until we bring back sex cults and whatnot.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
[x] Fuck all polls
(November 17, 2016 at 4:48 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: [x] Fuck all polls

Why, do you find them attractive? If so, would you say that makes you a proponent of dialetheism? 

Let us know by voting in the poll! Thanks!
(November 17, 2016 at 4:41 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: "All statements are true" is a false statement.

That makes no sense.

Quote:"There are no absolutes" is an absolute.

That makes no sense.

See, this is why it's full of shit.
(November 17, 2016 at 4:41 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: The only certain knowledge we have outside of our immediate experience is that there is no certain knowledge outside of our immediate experience.

That makes no sense either.
Has it ever occurred to you that you think such things for non-rational reasons?  Yes, related to reason, but non-rational in and of themselves? A priori rather than a posteriori, as Kant would put it?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
We all think everything for non-rational reasons, ultimately. But some things are nevertheless rational things to think and some things are indeed irrational things to think. To think something is what it is is rational. To think something is what it is not is irrational. Statements such as ""There are no absolutes" is an absolute truth" is as irrational as a statement can get, it's a flat-out contradiction. If you think "A = not A" can possibly be true then you're simply wrong.
(November 17, 2016 at 5:25 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: We all think everything for non-rational reasons, ultimately. But some things are nevertheless rational things to think and some things are indeed irrational things to think.
Indeed.

Quote:To think something is what it is is rational. To think something is what it is not is irrational.
Perhaps, but is it inaccurate?  

Quote:Statements such as ""There are no absolutes" is an absolute truth" is as irrational as a statement can get, it's a flat-out contradiction.
Right, thats the point that dialetheism makes.  Are you agreeing...or disagreeing...and think about that for a moment...since you may be invoking a dialetheistic statement either way.

Quote:If you think "A= not A" can possibly be true then you're simply wrong.
Why, because those are the rules?  Are they the rules? If dialetheistic statements exist they may not be, and so invoking them is begging the question...which is against the rules, but nevertheless you think it's true.........
(as do I, btw. Intuitively and by way of a priori statements I also consider such statements to be some subtle sort of -something- illogicval.....but I acknowledge the difficulty in identifying exactly what that is while remaining logical about it)
(November 17, 2016 at 5:29 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
me Wrote:To think something is what it is is rational. To think something is what it is not is irrational.
Perhaps, but is it inaccurate?  

Yes because that's what I mean by "irrational". Hence why you're equivocating if you disagree. I already start with the premise of A=A which means anyone who disagrees is merely equivocating. You can redefine and relabel it so "A= not A" but that's just a relabelling of "A=A". Dialetheism is just a redefining and a relabelling of things so that things can be both true and false... it doesn't change the fact that all it can do is relabel and redefine things. "A=A" represents everything being itself. The fact dialetheism defines itself in such a way so that a statement seen as true from one perspective and false from another is labelled as something being "both true and false" doesn't change the fact that it's still a case of something only being true and false from different perspectives at different times and everything still cannot be both true and false from all perspectives at all times. A=A is still not invalidated. It cannot be.

This all further demonstrates that you're still making the error whereby you're talking about different conceptualizations of the logical absolutes rather than the logical absolutes themselves. The truth of what "A=A" represents, the law of identity, applies to everything, including different conceputalizations of it. You could say to me "If something is true and false at the same time then something is true and false at the same time." But again  notice how it's just another expression of if A then A or A=A. It's just a relabelling and a definition. It doesn't actually make things completely true and false at the same time in the normal sense. Dialetheism is an alternative definition and conceptualiztion. It doesn't change any logical absolutes themselves.

You'll make progress when you realize that "A=A" represents the absolute fact that something is what it is, regardless of what silly language games are played or if someone wishes to redefine things so they can be both true and false in a different sense, from a different perspective (equivocation).

(November 17, 2016 at 5:29 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Right, thats the point that dialetheism makes.  Are you agreeing...or disagreeing...and think about that for a moment...since you may be invoking a dialetheistic statement either way.

It doesn't matter. It's still either/or rather than both. It's still only viewed differently from a different perspective. To think it's both from multiple perspectives is simply mistaken and an act of equivocation. That's what equivocation is.

me Wrote:If you think "A= not A" can possibly be true then you're simply wrong.
(November 17, 2016 at 5:29 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Why, because those are the rules?  Are they the rules?

No, it's because that is the absolute law and you're equivocating if you disagree. All you can do is relabel "something" to mean "not something" or "A" to mean "Not A" it's still the case that something is what it is and A=A even if you call something "not something" or A "not A". It doesn't matter what you call it or how you mess about with language. It doesn't matter what the rules are. This is a logical law that is absolute. You can label it however you want it will still be whatever it will be. Until you understand the use/mention distinction and that the labelling of "A=A" does not =/= the absolute truth of A=A no matter how much you mess about with language, you'll remain confused.

(November 17, 2016 at 5:29 pm)Rhythm Wrote:  If dialetheistic statements exist they may not be, and so invoking them is begging the question...which is against the rules, but nevertheless you think it's true.........

No. I know all statements are either true or false, A=A and not A = not A.

That is the premise and the only possible way to express disagreement with it is by relabelling it and equivocating. And you won't actually be disagreeing. Expressing disagreement =/= disagreement. Dialetheism just labels and conceptualizes the same truth differently. How many times have I explained already that conceptualization is irrelevant to the logical absolutes?

(November 17, 2016 at 5:29 pm)Rhythm Wrote: (as do I, btw.  Intuitively and by way of a priori statements I also consider such statements to be some subtle sort of -something- illogicval.....but I acknowledge the difficulty in identifying exactly what that is while remaining logical about it)

At least your intuition already knows I'm right even though you don't grasp it rationally yet.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Dialetheism Tea Earl Grey Hot 7 3509 July 31, 2012 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: CliveStaples