Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Pecular Behavior of Fire
The Pecular Behavior of Fire
Fire gives off light but does not act like light.

If you light a torch and hold it aloft the fire will shoot upward. But if you hold the torch horizontally, the fire will still shoot upward. Whereas if you hold source of light, such as a flash light, horizontally the light will continue horizontally.

No matter how far fire spreads it maintains its triangular shape, sometimes producing several triangles with one angel pointing upwards, unless it encounters a downward facing surface such as a ceiling. Then the fire spreads along the surface and that surface becomes it's base. It resumes its triangular shape when it eats through the surface to the air above.

Is there a scientific theory of fire that accounts for this behavior?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: The Pecular Behavior of Fire
Air pressure. Heat makes flames less dense than air, hot gas rises, air pressure forces flames up.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(November 17, 2016 at 6:00 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: Air pressure. Heat makes flames less dense than air, hot gas rises, air pressure forces flames up.
Excellent explanation and easy to understand. What accounts for the triangular shape?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

--Voltaire

Cold gas is more dense, gravity pulls it down, oxygen feeds the flames and becomes heated, pushing it upward. What you're seeing is the distribution of heat as air is heated, pressured and forced upward through a bottleneck of pressure, sort of like squeezing on a thing of toothpaste.
(November 17, 2016 at 6:15 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote:
(November 17, 2016 at 6:00 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: Air pressure. Heat makes flames less dense than air, hot gas rises, air pressure forces flames up.
Excellent explanation and easy to understand. What accounts for the triangular shape?

That would be the hand of God.   Rolleyes
(November 17, 2016 at 6:23 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: Cold gas is more dense, gravity pulls it down, oxygen feeds the flames and becomes heated, pushing it upward. What you're seeing is the distribution of heat as air is heated, pressured and forced upward through a bottleneck of pressure, sort of like squeezing on a thing of toothpaste.
I see. So fire dances and crackles because the rising heat is fighting against the falling cold air.

--Voltaire

Ever wonder why the plume coming out of the back end of a rocket gets so big the higher the rocket goes?

Less air pressure up there, so the exhaust fans out more.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(November 17, 2016 at 7:27 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote:
(November 17, 2016 at 6:23 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: Cold gas is more dense, gravity pulls it down, oxygen feeds the flames and becomes heated, pushing it upward. What you're seeing is the distribution of heat as air is heated, pressured and forced upward through a bottleneck of pressure, sort of like squeezing on a thing of toothpaste.
I see. So fire dances and crackles because the rising heat is fighting against the falling cold air.

The details are naturally more complex, but that's my understanding as a layman.
Crackling is the result of a build-up of pressure in pockets of moisture in the burning material (notably wood) as it vaporizes into steam, expands and bursts out.
(November 17, 2016 at 7:30 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Ever wonder why the plume coming out of the back end of a rocket gets so big the higher the rocket goes?

Less air pressure up there, so the exhaust fans out more.
Then the first few seconds after take off are the most dangerous because of backup. I'm sure NASA has come up with a way to minimize that danger.

--Voltaire

(November 17, 2016 at 7:39 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote:
(November 17, 2016 at 7:27 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: I see. So fire dances and crackles because the rising heat is fighting against the falling cold air.

The details are naturally more complex, but that's my understanding as a layman.
Crackling is the result of a build-up of pressure in pockets of moisture in the burning material (notably wood) as it vaporizes into steam, expands and bursts out.

Devil in the details. Guess that would take a deeper understanding of exactly what fire is. e=mc2 kind of stuff.

--Voltaire

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FIRE!!! Minimalist 1 996 April 4, 2012 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Jackalope