Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A History of Pious Fraud?
A History of Pious Fraud?
I have no doubt that this has been brought up previously here, but I reckon that it reduces Jesus of Nazareth to a Jesus of Nowhere. I'm arguing with an other Australian atheist atm that Nazareth didn't exist at the time of Jesus as a town, let alone a city.

Luke 4:14-30 King James Version (KJV)
14 And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about.
15 And he taught in their synagogues, being glorified of all.
16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.
17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.
22 And all bare him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth. And they said, Is not this Joseph's son?
23 And he said unto them, Ye will surely say unto me this proverb, Physician, heal thyself: whatsoever we have heard done in Capernaum, do also here in thy country.
24 And he said, Verily I say unto you, No prophet is accepted in his own country.
25 But I tell you of a truth, many widows were in Israel in the days of Elias, when the heaven was shut up three years and six months, when great famine was throughout all the land;
26 But unto none of them was Elias sent, save unto Sarepta, a city of Sidon, unto a woman that was a widow.
27 And many lepers were in Israel in the time of Eliseus the prophet; and none of them was cleansed, saving Naaman the Syrian.
28 And all they in the synagogue, when they heard these things, were filled with wrath,
29 And rose up, and thrust him out of the city, and led him unto the brow of the hill whereon their city was built, that they might cast him down headlong.
30 But he passing through the midst of them went his way,

Nazareth has never been proven to be a town, much less a city in the supposed time of Jesus. Rene Salm has done extensive research over 8 years and has written 2 books that no-one has ever rebutted. He is not an archaeologist, nor an expert in the field, but cites other expert opinions to make his points that Nazareth was never a town at the start of the first century CE.

See how the authorities lied for Jesus to keep the billion dollar pilgrim industry pumping. A classic example is at 30.00

Some main points are:

1. Q. Why would people build their houses on a side of a hill when it would have been much easier to build them on the plain in the valley? A. Because it says in the Bible:
Quote:Luke 4:29New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

29 They got up, drove him out of the town, and led him to the brow of the hill on which their town was built, so that they might hurl him off the cliff.

Unfortunately, there is no evidence of terracing, but there is plenty of evidence of tombs, which Jewish culture forbids living anywhere near the vicinity of such an unclean place.

2. There is no cliff for a mob to throw Jesus off. The nearest elevated spot is Mount Precipice, 4 kilometres away. It hasn't a cliff face, but would probably have given Jesus a few nasty grazes as he rolled down.

But the agile Jesus side-stepped them all anyway, just like a burly rugby player: 
Quote:New International Version
But he walked right through the crowd and went on his way.

3. There has never been any find of a synagogue or even signs of one found. How do you lose a whole building and contents?

Quote:“It is very doubtful whether the beautiful mountain village of Nazareth was really the dwelling-place of Jesus.” 
—T. Cheyne (Encyclopedia Biblica, “Nazareth,” 1899).

This PDF has the main points too:
http://www.nazarethmyth.info/SBL_2012_Sa...areth).pdf

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  History: The Iniquitous Anti-Christian French Revolution. Nishant Xavier 27 2244 August 6, 2023 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  History of abolishing God from the society Fake Messiah 42 2534 February 26, 2022 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 985 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Good Wikipedia article on the History of Atheism. Jehanne 6 1639 April 5, 2017 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Little lunch
Rainbow Science vs Religion: A Brief History of Anger RageaholicsAnonymous 8 2665 October 2, 2013 at 12:04 am
Last Post: Cato
  A history text I was thinking attempting Lemonvariable72 8 3227 September 26, 2013 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Cyberman