Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Family Vs Me (Non believer)
Family Vs Me (Non believer)
Hello,

I need some help or opinions! I have gotten into an arguments with my family. I am of course a non believer and I have a very religious family. We'll they decided to announce to me that I am a unfit mother to my son because I am a Skpetic/ Atheist. I was called the devil and that I am going to hell . That what I believe is not a good influence on my son that I am damaging him. I would say keep me in your prayers but I don't even pray! Hahahah. I am trying to keep a open mind and funny about it but I have to consult a lawyer tomorrow. This is the exact bigtory and unrelentless influence people try to inpose upon others. I may not be here but only off and on for a while because I will be tied up in court. If you have any opinions please share because I am frustrated and annoyed over this.

Bull-Poopie
"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purposes" Letter to von Humboldt, 1813
RE: Family Vs Me (Non believer)
My reaction would be to tell your family to go fuck themselves. Doesn't seem as if you'd be losing much.

You don't live in Shittsville, Mississippi or somewhere similar, do you?
(September 2, 2010 at 2:16 am)Bull Poopie Wrote: Hello,
Hello! I believe we've met... (elsewhere on the forum). Let me see if I can provide some insight.

(September 2, 2010 at 2:16 am)Bull Poopie Wrote: I need some help or opinions! I have gotten into an arguments with my family. I am of course a non believer and I have a very religious family. We'll they decided to announce to me that I am a unfit mother to my son because I am a Skpetic/ Atheist. I was called the devil and that I am going to hell . That what I believe is not a good influence on my son that I am damaging him. I would say keep me in your prayers but I don't even pray! Hahahah. I am trying to keep a open mind and funny about it but I have to consult a lawyer tomorrow. This is the exact bigtory and unrelentless influence people try to inpose upon others. I may not be here but only off and on for a while because I will be tied up in court. If you have any opinions please share because I am frustrated and annoyed over this.

The situation is indeed distressing. Still, this is an easy answer that even many religious families argue to their benefit in lawsuits against the state over evolution and sex education and other controversial issues:

He's your son. Period.

I don't know what court-related thing is happening - if your family is taking litigation against you or if you're litigating at them for interfering in your parentage of your own child. Either way, I wish you the best, though frankly assuming you're not in the Kansas, Texas, or Alabama christian theocracies, I can only predict a very constitutional outcome of being allowed to raise your child however you want. If something other than that happens, that's when you get the ACLU involved. I don't expect that to happen, but always try to be two steps ahead of where you need to be and you'll be making sure your son knows the difference between fantasy and reality before you know it.

EDIT: Damn it minimalist, you beat me to the punch... again I think. Big Grin
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
(September 2, 2010 at 3:06 am)Minimalist Wrote: My reaction would be to tell your family to go fuck themselves. Doesn't seem as if you'd be losing much.

You don't live in Shittsville, Mississippi or somewhere similar, do you?

I live in Sin City, Nevada. Oh I tried to provide some reasoning with my family that religion is brain washing. He told me he wasn't religious but that he has a degree in theology. Hmm, that is very interesting even though he goes to church every week. I was of course called the devil, blah blah blah. They don't see past the fog!.

Bull Poopie
DarkestOfAngels,

Yes it is stressful. I live in Las Vegas and I am going to try and consult a good lawyer. I will look into the ACLU,as well because like you said I need to have a good backup. I always try to plan ahead on things. I think we have meet on here on the forums. Thank you, I think a judge would throw this shit out the window because it is Bull Poopie.
"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purposes" Letter to von Humboldt, 1813
Is this the whole story? Because as I look at it the case for a custody hearing looks very weak for your relatives.

If your kid has a loving parent, food on the table, clothes to wear, a roof over his head, and gets a proper education, there is nothing your family can base its claim on that you are supposed to be unfit as a parent. Contacting the ACLU might be a good thing. I don't know if there is an atheist group in your area that you could contact (but it being Vegas I'd be surprised if there wasn't)?

I don't really have any advice to give, I'm not a parent and my family may be religious but they are not pulling shit like that on non-believer relatives.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I do have a Atheist support group out here. It probably would be a good idea to contact them to get advice. I apologize for disturbing ya'll with this but I thought I could get adivce from like minded people. I don't trust people very much and besides my son is fourteen and I don't believe I can control if he wants to be with my family instead because they've already sucked his brain through the black hole of religion.

Poopie.
(September 2, 2010 at 2:16 am)Bull Poopie Wrote: Hello,

I need some help or opinions! I have gotten into an arguments with my family. I am of course a non believer and I have a very religious family. We'll they decided to announce to me that I am a unfit mother to my son because I am a Skpetic/ Atheist. I was called the devil and that I am going to hell . That what I believe is not a good influence on my son that I am damaging him. I would say keep me in your prayers but I don't even pray! Hahahah. I am trying to keep a open mind and funny about it but I have to consult a lawyer tomorrow. This is the exact bigtory and unrelentless influence people try to inpose upon others. I may not be here but only off and on for a while because I will be tied up in court. If you have any opinions please share because I am frustrated and annoyed over this.

Bull-Poopie

Hi, I am new here but wanted to reply.

It seems to me you have two options. One that is unlikely to succeed and one that is the path I would take.

Path One: (Hard path)

Explain to your family that the bible is horrid. Show it's bad passages and explain how it is insane and tell them you just can't believe in this. Tell them you love them and your son and would never do anything to hurt them. Explain why you don't believe and maybe you could change some minds. But to be honest this would be very hard because, not to be offensive, but your family seems like idiots. If you want them in your life right now and to have them around your son (which I wouldn't) that is what you have to do. It would be long hard and painful. <Insert sex joke here> But on a serious note this choice would be hard for your kids but as an atheist you already know, or should, what is such bullshit about the bible and etc.

Path two: Tell your family you love them very much and will just be a phone call away if they change their minds. (**Optional: Buy them how to think critically, The God Delusion, and God is not great.) Also you may want to get a restraining order against them if they are intent on trying to brainwash your kid or harass you it will be hard now but will be best for your son and you. No lawyer/judge would entertain the idea of a case where not believing in god is the premises for the accusations.

But overall it is your choice and will affect you a lot, sorry that you are in that situation. I think I can speak on behalf of everyone here when I say we are all here for you if you need help.

Much love and hope it all turns out best for you and your son.
Well do like me and arm yourself with the facts and learn ALL the arguments so at least you can defend your possition. there are a few real good places to start ... http://www.atheist-experience.com watch the back episodes and a good spot for arguments and counter arguments is... http://wiki.ironchariots.org just get all the info you can and be prepared
Did I make a good point? thumbs up Smile I cant help it I'm a Kudos whore. P.S. Jesus is a MYTH.
Thank you Live_Free. I have tried to explain the hard way but there is a fog within their vision. They can accept me being a skeptic but not an atheist. Personally, I think they are affraid of the word atheist. I think many religious people are because of how different it is and we are. They judge it without actually knowing the facts. Anyways I appreicate your post and thank you so much. :-)

Poopie.
(September 2, 2010 at 4:53 am)Xyster Wrote: Well do like me and arm yourself with the facts and learn ALL the arguments so at least you can defend your possition. there are a few real good places to start ... http://www.atheist-experience.com watch the back episodes and a good spot for arguments and counter arguments is... http://wiki.ironchariots.org just get all the info you can and be prepared

Thank you Xyster, I will defenately watch them. I watched a couple of Dawkin debate videos on youtube tonight and that cheered me up Smile . I have read his god delusion book as well Live_Free. Dawkins is a brilliant man as far as I am concerened Smile

Bull Poopie.
It almost feels like an unreal stuff! I know nothing of american law, etc.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can you be a "Non religious muslim"? Woah0 31 1776 August 22, 2022 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Persistent Non-Symbolic Experiences Ahriman 0 538 August 18, 2021 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Questions about the European renaissance and religion to non believers Quill01 6 667 January 31, 2021 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  God as a non-creator Fake Messiah 13 1669 January 21, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Being can come from non-being Alex K 55 7223 January 15, 2020 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Being cannot come from Non-being Otangelo 147 13471 January 7, 2020 at 7:08 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Non Sequitur Minimalist 8 1553 August 20, 2016 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Deism vs Religion (Non-guidance vs guidance). Mystic 21 3846 March 1, 2016 at 2:18 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Jesus the Jew, yet non-Jew Foxaèr 21 3547 January 19, 2016 at 1:03 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  I called a friend who is a believer... Old Baby 150 26358 January 15, 2016 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy