Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for comments / ideas for WIP project ABCs of Atheism
Looking for comments / ideas for WIP project ABCs of Atheism
(Oh SHOOT! I just violated the 30/30 rule I think!, so I'm reposting as a NON link! Sorry Admins!)

Hi fellow atheists,

I'm working on a project right now called ABCs of Atheism, which is intended to be a children's book that also doubles as "adult novelty" book. At this point the pages are supremely draft with rough concept art with text that is the very first text I've put to paper (NOT child-ready yet).

But before I get too far, I'm trying to get a feel for what other atheists think about the word choices and IDEAS represented in the text.

Thanks for any critique, comments, concerns, etc.

-JP

I'm attaching the first 10 images because that's the limit. I'd love to hear what words people think should be included in an ABCs of Atheism book.

[Image: ABCsofAtheism_DRAFT053.jpg]

[Image: ABCsofAtheism_DRAFT054.jpg]

[Image: ABCsofAtheism_DRAFT055.jpg]

[Image: ABCsofAtheism_DRAFT056.jpg]

[Image: ABCsofAtheism_DRAFT057.jpg]

[Image: ABCsofAtheism_DRAFT058.jpg]

[Image: ABCsofAtheism_DRAFT059.jpg]

[Image: ABCsofAtheism_DRAFT0510.jpg]

[Image: ABCsofAtheism_DRAFT0511.jpg]

[Image: ABCsofAtheism_DRAFT0512.jpg]

Thanks for any comments and or suggestions!
RE: Looking for comments / ideas for WIP project ABCs of Atheism
(November 22, 2016 at 10:26 am)Judashpeters Wrote: (Oh SHOOT! I just violated the 30/30 rule I think!, so I'm reposting as a NON link! Sorry Admins!)

Hi fellow atheists,

I'm working on a project right now called ABCs of Atheism, which is intended to be a children's book that also doubles as "adult novelty" book. At this point the pages are supremely draft with rough concept art with text that is the very first text I've put to paper (NOT child-ready yet).

But before I get too far, I'm trying to get a feel for what other atheists think about the word choices and IDEAS represented in the text.

Thanks for any critique, comments, concerns, etc.

-JP

I'm attaching the first 10 images because that's the limit. I'd love to hear what words people think should be included in an ABCs of Atheism book.

{snip} 

Thanks for any comments and or suggestions!

I think it's a great idea, I love your art. 

Make sure to work on the way you express some ideas though so that the parents will want their children to read them. Like telling kids they should eat whatever they want and other such things that shouldn't necessarily be their choice, but their parents' is not very good I think. Focus on religion, sure, but don't only talk about it. Don't be afraid to moralize a little, but do it thoughtfully. 

Those are my thoughts. I hope they help!Smile
I think it's awesome!

However I'd say the overall theme here is scepticism rather than atheism. Atheism is just one result of the application of scepticism, and you describe many more too.

Some atheists aren't sceptics, and so it could be misleading in that regard.

I realise scepticism isn't a very child-friendly word though.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(November 22, 2016 at 10:46 am)robvalue Wrote: I think it's awesome!

However I'd say the overall theme here is scepticism rather than atheism. Atheism is just one result of the application of scepticism, and you describe many more too.

Some atheists aren't sceptics, and so it could be misleading in that regard.

I realise scepticism isn't a very child-friendly word though.

That's a good point, OP. You can talk about an atheist culture, though , if you really want to. But will it sell ? Should it ? Who knows.
HA!!! I loved the F -> FSM LOL!!

It definitely doesn't seem ready for kids. FSM... LOL!
If I was doing the same thing, except a "Christian ABC", I would leave out the parts where you say "other people do ______, (referring to theists) but so and so does __________!"

...It just gives off the impression of some sort of us vs them mentality and of superiority. It also gives off the impression of defining yourself by your opposition to theists rather than offering something unique to the table. I would just stick to the various descriptions/values of atheism rather than bring other people into it.

Anyway, as a theist myself that's my 2 cents and that's how I would do it if I was doing a Christian ABC's for children.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
There are no values for atheism and the definition is pretty simple.

Certainly, what this book would really be is antitheistic rather, and I fully support that, CL. Religion is actually evil.
(November 22, 2016 at 11:07 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: There are no values for atheism and the definition is pretty simple.

Well, I know. And I guess values wasn't really the best word for it. But for example, looking at the first 3 letters: for letter A.... I would leave out the first 2 little paragraphs and just keep the third. Letters B and C are fine. 

In principle, that's the approach I would take personally if I were to do a Christian one, so that's my objective advice.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(November 22, 2016 at 11:19 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(November 22, 2016 at 11:07 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: There are no values for atheism and the definition is pretty simple.

Well, I know. And I guess values wasn't really the best word for it. But for example, looking at the first 3 letters: for letter A.... I would leave out the first 2 little paragraphs and just keep the third. Letters B and C are fine. 

In principle, that's the approach I would take personally if I were to do a Christian one, so that's my objective advice.

I don't see why you would. The two paragraphs you mention from A seem to be stating things of a factual nature. If facts disturb you . . . I don't know what to tell you, then.
Maybe "critical thinking", "rational/logical thought"...

Maybe I'm over thinking it.

I'm not sure how to best phrase it for little stupid bastards kids.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hilarious argument from someone I encountered in the youtube comments Heat 19 4640 April 23, 2020 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Posted comments on Youtube gets deleted Ferrocyanide 16 1901 April 19, 2020 at 6:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Need a project Sayetsu 12 1620 March 15, 2018 at 2:04 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 26870 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheist Debates Project - Matt Dillahunty LadyForCamus 54 9576 September 6, 2016 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Atheism Looking Good! TrueChristian 52 7159 February 15, 2016 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  christian looking to understand athiests msid 212 33842 August 21, 2015 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Natural explanations to former supernatural ideas Won2blv 12 3583 May 17, 2015 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  JW looking clarity followup Won2blv 108 11199 April 27, 2015 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Aractus
  JW looking for clarity Won2blv 44 7079 April 19, 2015 at 8:08 am
Last Post: pocaracas