Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A non-aggressive religion?
A non-aggressive religion?
I wonder, just out of curiousity, is there any non-aggressive religion? One that doesn't say "believe or die". I Googled for such a thing and what I found wasn't a religion, it was just a member of it: the Norse god Thor who "was very popular as the protector of both gods and humans against the forces of evil. He even surpassed his father Odin in popularity because, contrary to Odin, he did not require human sacrifices".
So, what do you think - is there such a religion? Or are they all the same boring aggressive shit?
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
RE: A non-aggressive religion?
I'd say Christianity and you?

Quote: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God, with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind, and with thy whole strength. This is the first commandment.

And the second is like to it: Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is no other commandment greater than these. Mark 12
(November 24, 2016 at 3:47 pm)Atheist_BG Wrote: I wonder, just out of curiousity, is there any non-aggressive religion?

Well is it not Jainism? They preach a doctrine of utter non-violence and have also inspired Mahatma Gandhi and then Martin Luther King, Jr. who acquired his commitment to nonviolence primarily from the writings of Gandhi so much so that he even traveled to India to learn the principles of nonviolent social protest directly from Gandhi's disciples.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Masturbationism.

Well, you might get aggressive with yourself. Friction burns suck!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Raelians?
Jainism for sure. The more devout a person is the less dangerous they are. Even to insects.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Definitely Jainism.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Funny how someone who called for the genocide of two million people is looking for a non-aggressive religion.
I was UU for a while. They weren't riling or riled about ANYTHING.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(November 24, 2016 at 4:12 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote:
(November 24, 2016 at 3:47 pm)Atheist_BG Wrote: I wonder, just out of curiousity, is there any non-aggressive religion?

Well is it not Jainism? They preach a doctrine of utter non-violence and have also inspired Mahatma Gandhi and then Martin Luther King, Jr. who acquired his commitment to nonviolence primarily from the writings of Gandhi so much so that he even traveled to India to learn the principles of nonviolent social protest directly from Gandhi's disciples.

Yeah this is probably the closest, although it still has some unpleasant stuff if you scrape past the surface.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 2982 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1798 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2819 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4194 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  More than half of the Uk say they are non-religious downbeatplumb 9 2868 September 5, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
Exclamation new "Cult of 'Non-Beliefism' " aka (the state of being "unlocked") ProgrammingGodJordan 142 14470 January 2, 2017 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  A Non-Religious Person's Meaning in Life and Death AFTT47 17 4990 January 12, 2016 at 12:52 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  A quick way to disprove an aggressive christian TunaDragon28 12 3307 November 28, 2015 at 8:51 am
Last Post: brewer
  Worst Thing Said to You for Being a Non-believer Strider 18 8185 October 12, 2015 at 2:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  A Religion for the Non Religious Catholic_Lady 75 15702 July 20, 2015 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady