Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Violent video games provide positive reinforcement to elicit violence in Life"
"Violent video games provide positive reinforcement to elicit violence in Life"
Title says it all.

There's been recent debates about violence in video games encouraging people to be as violent in life. As we all know, it is during the adolescent years of children that they "copy" others and learn from visual stimuli, this can make them especially prone to learning and practicing the content they see on media but thankfully companies have ratings for video games based on content and It's appropriateness for different age groups, although unfortunately many parents fail to properly enforce this.

So what is your opinion? Should violence be banned from video games based on the argument that they encourage violence in Life or not? Why?
RE: "Violent video games provide positive reinforcement to elicit violence in Lif...
(November 26, 2016 at 8:36 am)pool the great Wrote: Title says it all.

There's been recent debates about violence in video games encouraging people to be as violent in life. As we all know, it is during the adolescent years of children that they "copy" others and learn from visual stimuli, this can make them especially prone to learning and practicing the content they see on media but thankfully companies have ratings for video games based on content and It's appropriateness for different age groups, although unfortunately many parents fail to properly enforce this.

So what is your opinion? Should violence be banned from video games based on the argument that they encourage violence in Life or not? Why?

They said the same about books, films, tv and now games. Violent people will be violent peaceful people will be peaceful.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: "Violent video games provide positive reinforcement to elicit violence in Lif...
No.

Because anyone who seriously thinks that games can turn people into psychos are fucking idiots, and shouldn't be in a position of power to ban anything.
RE: "Violent video games provide positive reinforcement to elicit violence in Life"
This headline has been spread around like wildfire for decades now. So far nothing has come of it. I'm more than happy to continue rolling my eyes at it.
RE: "Violent video games provide positive reinforcement to elicit violence in Life"
What's even more bizarre is that criminals could use this as an excuse.

"It wasn't me! It was all those video games that made me do it!".
(November 26, 2016 at 9:24 am)pool the great Wrote: What's even more bizarre is that criminals could use this as an excuse.

"It wasn't me! It was all those video games that made me do it!".

Uh-huh, and the idiots who want to ban violent games will eat that up.

Because....*drum roll*

They are idiots.
I watched an awful lot of Bugs Bunny cartoons when I was a kid. To this date, I've never dropped an anvil on anyone.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
So, if researchers do actual studies on actual people with actual games and it turns out in real life people playing those games are actually LESS violent as adults, will we REQUIRE all children to play those games ????????
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Nope. (Competent) studies have not concluded such a thing. Of course kids copy things, that's up to their parents to address.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Most people can differentiate between imagination and reality. They know that shooting someone in a videogame and shooting someone in real life is different. We also know that the most popular book in America is extremely violent at times, yet it isn't banned.

Plus the whole point of the ESRB rating is to seperate game like Legend of Zelda from Grand Theft Auto.

Finally, when has completely banning something ever worked for the better? Didn't alcohol prohibition and the drug war teach us anything?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First-time, non-violent criminals do not belong in prison. Jehanne 25 1528 August 29, 2022 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  How were past times so violent? Macoleco 17 1083 April 19, 2020 at 11:45 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why are leaders usually not threatened by violence? Macoleco 10 1185 August 24, 2019 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  God will provide onlinebiker 0 205 May 31, 2019 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Song Thread: Sex and Violence brewer 0 465 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Fav toys/games from your childhood vorlon13 29 4884 June 30, 2017 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Lately, there has not been much need for me to provide my knowledge Foxaèr 5 1424 June 16, 2017 at 9:29 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  I want to talk about keeping positive EruptedCarcassBloat 9 1569 October 18, 2016 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, reta 9 2094 April 23, 2016 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Men Who are Bad at Video Games More Likely to Show Hostility to Women Pyrrho 21 3979 July 22, 2015 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: MTL