Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump and the First Amendment
Trump and the First Amendment
It's all over the news that the Tweet Master is at it again -- this time suggesting that flag burning should be made illegal despite repeated SC rulings to the contrary. He's calling for jail time and/or possible loss of citizenship (!) for offenders.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/tr...ing-231920

Of course, nothing is likely to come of this, but I'd like to see one of Trump's supporters here at AF defend this shit, even if it is just red meat for the rubes. How can anyone in good conscience continue to support a man who would so cavalierly wipe his ass with the First Amendment?

I have always strongly supported the idea of flag burning as a protected form of political speech/protest. But I've never seriously thought of doing so myself. But if Trump and his GOP congressional stooges try to pass such legislation (doomed to challenge and defeat in the courts though it would be), I will burn a fucking flag in protest. I'll burn a dozen of them. Fuck Trump and those of his supporters who would try -- or even threaten -- to curtail our constitutional liberties.
RE: Trump and the First Amendment
Thing is, this can't go wrong for Trump. The people that hate him will still hate him, the folks that have overlooked all the shit he's said already will just overlook this too, and the republicans in between will just continue to tug at their collars and make mewling sounds of disapproval while still supporting Trump's goals.

The reaction to this tweet from the public though, could be interesting. If people start to burn their flags in response to this, then all that will do is give fodder to the ultra-nationalist Trumpers who can point to the flag-burners as unpatriotic not-Americans and hold the Don up as an example of a true American.

What if, in protest people burned Confederate flags? See how fast the right gets triggered from that.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(November 29, 2016 at 12:31 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Thing is, this can't go wrong for Trump.  The people that hate him will still hate him, the folks that have overlooked all the shit he's said already will just overlook this too, and the republicans in between will just continue to tug at their collars and make mewling sounds of disapproval while still supporting Trump's goals.

The reaction to this tweet from the public though, could be interesting.  If people start to burn their flags in response to this, then all that will do is give fodder to the ultra-nationalist Trumpers who can point to the flag-burners as unpatriotic not-Americans and hold the Don up as an example of a true American.

As always, this comes down to who frames the narrative. If First Amendment supporters can't figure out how to seize this issue by the throat and properly identify who the true patriots are, then we've lost a hell of a lot more than an election.
(November 29, 2016 at 12:38 pm)Crossless1 Wrote:
(November 29, 2016 at 12:31 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Thing is, this can't go wrong for Trump.  The people that hate him will still hate him, the folks that have overlooked all the shit he's said already will just overlook this too, and the republicans in between will just continue to tug at their collars and make mewling sounds of disapproval while still supporting Trump's goals.

The reaction to this tweet from the public though, could be interesting.  If people start to burn their flags in response to this, then all that will do is give fodder to the ultra-nationalist Trumpers who can point to the flag-burners as unpatriotic not-Americans and hold the Don up as an example of a true American.

As always, this comes down to who frames the narrative. If First Amendment supporters can't figure out how to seize this issue by the throat and properly identify who the true patriots are, then we've lost a hell of a lot more than an election.

But that's the thing - there have been so many equally as egregious things that Trump has said that haven't fazed his supporters.  It doesn't matter how a First Amendment supporter frames this, it'll either fall on deaf ears or those that already know that Trump's statement is shit.  It won't convince anyone of anything.
- Thomas Jefferson
I would like to know how he expects to legally strip someone of citizenship. AFAIK, there's absolutely nothing in the U.S. Constitution which says the government can do that.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(November 29, 2016 at 12:44 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: I would like to know how he expects to legally strip someone of citizenship.  AFAIK, there's absolutely nothing in the U.S. Constitution which says the government can do that.

The same way he plans to do everything else.  "I'll have the best people do it."
- Thomas Jefferson
With that criteria, Justice Scalia could NOT be nominated for Scalia's seat !!!!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Yep.

There is a segment of Americans who still don't understand the concept behind why flag burning is protected under the 1st Amendment. People in my own family think it should be outlawed and no matter how many times I've told them that it's about free speech and expression, they just don't give a shit.

Trump's shocking anti-free speech stances were really what should have done him in. That is, in an America where people actually understood the threat he represents to First Amendment freedoms, he would have been summarily shitcanned and a humorous memory at this point.

And as usual, the irony is that the conservative who yodel out their ass about "The Constitooshun" are the ones who would scrap it if they had the chance. Not that they would understand they were scrapping it. Hopefully all of this will represent a klaxon-like wake up call for people to actually pay attention to what candidates say and think about the implications of those words.
What's wrong with you people? Clearly, freedom of speech applies ONLY to speech we already agree with. Sheesh.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
This is pure distraction from the issues, and people should stop talking about it, stop reacting to it, and move the focus over to issues that matter, IMO.

Trump is a genius at this kind of thing. Every time some negative press gets traction that could be a problem for him, he just makes some random nonsensical statement and that statement overtakes the negative press.

We need to keep the conversation on issues that actually affect the Presidency, like the fact he isn't putting his business into a blind trust.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hagia Sophia: first Friday prayer since decades and Erdogan leads the prayer WinterHold 46 2201 July 26, 2020 at 5:23 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Health care people and first responders - let us know how you are. arewethereyet 22 1862 April 26, 2020 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Tape of Trump and Cohen and Playboy model Brian37 10 1859 July 20, 2018 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Trump’s first year was even worse than feared Minimalist 66 8293 January 8, 2018 at 11:11 am
Last Post: Drich
  Trump's White House "Looked into" the gutting of the First Amendment. Rev. Rye 11 3662 May 10, 2017 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Islam and first cousin marriages Crunchy 32 7298 April 30, 2017 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: Bosnian_Atheist