Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plane crash in South America
Plane crash in South America
With Brian being a pilot, this is my absolute greatest fear in the world. It hits so close to home every time I hear of a plane crash. I can't imagine what they went through during those last few minutes or seconds, or what their families are going through now. Absolutely horrifying.  Sad

Quote:A chartered plane carrying 81 people, including members of a Brazilian soccer team that had made a stunning climb up the ranks at home, crashed on the outskirts of Medellín, Colombia, killing nearly everyone onboard, the authorities said early Tuesday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/29/world/americas/plane-carrying-brazilian-soccer-team-crashes-in-colombia.html?_r=0
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
RE: Plan crash in South America
Eek! Plane crashes are definitely frightening. As someone who was in aircraft maintenance, I can assure you that this is an absolutely rare occurrence. It's even far less likely to happen in the military because of the rigorous maintenance standards compared to the civilian world (I should know). Global news makes it seem far more common than it actually is because of the sample size.
RE: Plane crash in South America
(November 29, 2016 at 1:47 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: With Brian being a pilot, this is my absolute greatest fear in the world. It hits so close to home every time I hear of a plane crash. I can't imagine what they went through during those last few minutes or seconds, or what their families are going through now. Absolutely horrifying.  Sad

Just think of it that way. The risk of having an accident driving to the airport is far greater than the flight. I don't know the exact numbers right now, but the chances of being in a plane crash are incredibly slim. It's only that usually many people lose their lives at the same time that makes us take note.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(November 29, 2016 at 1:52 pm)Jesster Wrote: Eek! Plane crashes are definitely frightening. As someone who was in aircraft maintenance, I can assure you that this is an absolutely rare occurrence. It's even far less likely to happen in the military because of the rigorous maintenance standards compared to the civilian world (I should know). Global news makes it seem far more common than it actually is because of the sample size.

That's not what they say.

http://www.ibtimes.com/us-military-ready...fy-2448087

Quote:The Air Force currently has about 1,600 combat aircraft, but the service is falling short of almost 700 pilots and 4,000 maintenance crew members. The report stated: “The lack of ability to fly and maintain [aircraft], especially in a high-tempo/threat combat environment, means that its usable inventory of such aircraft is actually much smaller.”
I've heard hints on the news the plane ran out of fuel.

So sad if true . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(November 29, 2016 at 2:37 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(November 29, 2016 at 1:52 pm)Jesster Wrote: Eek! Plane crashes are definitely frightening. As someone who was in aircraft maintenance, I can assure you that this is an absolutely rare occurrence. It's even far less likely to happen in the military because of the rigorous maintenance standards compared to the civilian world (I should know). Global news makes it seem far more common than it actually is because of the sample size.

That's not what they say.

Quote:The Air Force currently has about 1,600 combat aircraft, but the service is falling short of almost 700 pilots and 4,000 maintenance crew members. The report stated: “The lack of ability to fly and maintain [aircraft], especially in a high-tempo/threat combat environment, means that its usable inventory of such aircraft is actually much smaller.”

And how does that change what I said? Maintenance requirements on aircraft are far more strict in the military and inspections are done far more often. That was my job, Min. I know what I'm talking about.

Unless you meant the sample size thing. I wasn't using that as a comparison. I used that to state that plane crashes in general are less common than the news makes it seem.
Very sad.
Yes, the team involved was Chapecoense, which is ninth in the Brasileirão (the top men's pro league in Brazil). It was a BAe 146 (for anybody who might be an aviation buff), which is a fairly small, quad-jet commuter plane that was widely used in the 80's (now it is used for firefighting). 

Hearing conflicting statements that is was a fuel or electrical problem, but I'd believe electrical. 
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(November 29, 2016 at 2:42 pm)Jesster Wrote:
(November 29, 2016 at 2:37 pm)Minimalist Wrote: That's not what they say.

And how does that change what I said? Maintenance requirements on aircraft are far more strict in the military and inspections are done far more often. That was my job, Min. I know what I'm talking about.

Unless you meant the sample size thing. I wasn't using that as a comparison. I used that to state that plane crashes in general are less common than the news makes it seem.

What they are saying is that they are not meeting their own requirements.  Let's face it, we also have a lot of aging planes that probably should be junked - like the A10 - but which are kept in service because local politicians don't want to lose jobs in their districts.  Our military establishment seems to do everything except focus on defense.

The problem is not unknown.

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/a...craft.aspx

Quote:The U.S. military operates fleets of Cold War-era aircraft that will not be replaced any time soon. For the Pentagon, this creates daunting challenges, experts warn. Airplanes will have to fly much longer than planned and, at a time of tight budgets, the cost of maintaining aging equipment is projected to soar.
(November 29, 2016 at 3:07 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(November 29, 2016 at 2:42 pm)Jesster Wrote: And how does that change what I said? Maintenance requirements on aircraft are far more strict in the military and inspections are done far more often. That was my job, Min. I know what I'm talking about.

What they are saying is that they are not meeting their own requirements.  Let's face it, we also have a lot of aging planes that probably should be junked - like the A10 - but which are kept in service because local politicians don't want to lose jobs in their districts.  Our military establishment seems to do everything except focus on defense.

The problem is not unknown.

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/a...craft.aspx

Quote:The U.S. military operates fleets of Cold War-era aircraft that will not be replaced any time soon. For the Pentagon, this creates daunting challenges, experts warn. Airplanes will have to fly much longer than planned and, at a time of tight budgets, the cost of maintaining aging equipment is projected to soar.

Yes, I know the planes are aging. I personally worked on one of them (KC-135). Maintenance keeps up with them just fine compared to the civilian side, though. While the civilian end has newer planes in general, they aren't held to the same standards of maintenance. They wait far too long to do the periodical checks as well. You can keep an old plane running just fine as long as you keep up on the work, but not doing the same for a newer craft lets far too much slip by.

Please don't argue about this based on some magazine you read when, yet again, I worked in this exact field.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  North & South Korea conflict neil 13 628 January 16, 2024 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Boeing 737-800 Airliner Crash in China HappySkeptic 0 180 March 21, 2022 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  America's newest chess master Foxaèr 9 509 May 20, 2021 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Subway crash in Mexico City. Brian37 11 893 May 4, 2021 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Serious] Josh Hawley is the most dangerous man in America WinterHold 15 674 January 9, 2021 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The REAL Threat To America BrianSoddingBoru4 11 806 December 15, 2020 at 1:21 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  America’s Chief Export BrianSoddingBoru4 107 4918 April 21, 2020 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Kobe Bryant dead from Helicopter crash Brian37 190 16823 February 24, 2020 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  A Saudi hit and run criminal breaks his electric ankle bracelet and flees America WinterHold 22 2628 April 15, 2019 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  [Serious] America can you pls stop meddling in countries you have no busienss in. Cepheus Ace 44 2366 March 26, 2019 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama