Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ganymede, a Super Mario World romhack
Ganymede, a Super Mario World romhack
A lonely soul emerges from the bashed and battered wreck of his vessel and embarks on an epic adventure across the beautiful and mysterious island of Ganymede in search of a way home.

Ganymede is an island not seen on any map, its lore known to none still living. This does not mean that the place is entirely devoid of life, however. The original inhabitants seem to be long gone, but their wonders and constructions remain, many still functional and waiting for the day their builders return.

Not all of their wonders are wondrous. Not all of their constructions are useful or good. In fact, many still roam around. Automatons designed to kill maintain their endless patrol, soldiers still fighting a war that ended many years ago. If that's what they are, or what they are doing. They are not friendly, in any case.

Ganymede is my pet project, something into which I've poured heart, soul and mind into since late 2013. I've been a Mario fan since the very first game (which was my Intellivision copy of Donkey Kong) and creating levels has been a dream I finally get to live. That's what this project was back when I called it Thoughtful Mario World, no story, just levels. Over time, it has become something bigger and more important (to me, at least).

The story is a (loose) adaptation of an album I love, by a small-time band from Boston called The Shills. It is a concept album and it is amazing. I highly recommend giving it a listen (and to be sure, it's a great way to help understand what's really going on in this hack. Because there's a story, and there's another story behind it.

Ganymede is a non-linear game with three endings. Which ending you get has to do with how thorough you are in exploring, finding all of the secrets, and learning about the protagonist, his past, and deciding what his future will be. It's at least as much about him as it is this mysterious island.

If you are familiar with Super Mario World, you won't have any trouble figuring out how this game works. Of all the things I have changed and edited, the physics and basic gameplay are the least of it. After all, SMW had pretty much perfect gameplay to start with.

---

The first level in the game is Autumnal Uplands.

[Image: 4dd7e3cd89782ec1ca59cee4065300a9.png]

90% (ish) of the graphics are my own original pixel art. The backgrounds are mostly not, yet. It's been a long process of replacing borrowed assets, since I started out with no intention of pixeling my own art.

I believe very strongly in good level design, and I am making Ganymede for everyone. Therefore, this first level is an invisible holding hand. You are gradually introduced to common enemies you'll see throughout the game, Bullies and Sad Sacks. The first ones you encounter can be either avoided or defeated with very little effort.

[Image: 38f8196df055afa14afc76708d8eea16.png]

Having friends playtest who are not hardcore Mario players is instructive, and they are the people I'm really keeping in mind when designing. I want it to be fun for them and introduce them to a generous difficulty curve. The first area's levels are easy enough that you are never required to hold the B button to run. You can take your time and learn what's happening. Of course, if you already know how to play Super Mario World, you will find rewards the beginner is not likely to find.

[Image: bb1cfd1effb93cd7272cf18b52892b80.png]

Autumnal Uplands also gives you a glimpse of concepts that you'll encounter many times in more difficult levels. As one example, this trio of invisible blocks is almost impossible to avoid. This telegraphs how you have to find more invisible blocks in order to proceed. Now, you'll be on the lookout for more going forward, many of them optional and leading to secrets.

[Image: be148c6ec06057b81c9ab9ad706e3d5c.png]

I want Ganymede to be better than Super Mario World. Dunno if it is or ever will be, but it is a lot larger, longer and more complex.

[Image: 6a98531a58cae8ebd4b8c9ac32ddb22a.png]

---

Anyway, that's level one. There are dozens more, each one large, complex and constructed with love.

XXXX indicates levels not in a playable state, but the vast majority are either complete or close enough. Note that the area designations are more for convenience than anything.

Click on any level to see its image.

AREA 1
Autumnal Uplands | Sunsetter Bluffs | Trouble Up Top | Dunke's Wetworks | The Lunar Prison | House on the Hill

Area 2
Moonrise Moraines | The Hidden Isle | Toys in the Attic | The Arboropolis | Rollingsbrook Hills | Sourpit Keep | Goodybasket Grove

Area 3
The Outer Forts | The Scorchpits | The Bloodvault | The Mines of Malice | Thaumaturge's Lab | The Fiery Belly | Vulcan Chapel

Area 4
Hilltop Gauntlet | The Soakpuddles | Fort Drownsbottom | The Abottoir | Threadbare Notch | Bellyflop Bay

Area 5
Porcupine Paths | The Ephemeral Eaves | The Sentinels | Canopy Causeway | Tanglenet Temple | The Brasswood Monster | Breeze Cathedral | Buzzsaw Atrium

Area 6
Secrets of the Tomb | Easterly Windbridge | Westerly Windbridge | Bombardier Traverse

Area 7
XXXX | Stabshard Caverns | Cold Storage | The Glass Knives | XXXX | XXXX | Halls of Scission | Hyperborea | Thirst Temple

Area 8
The Nimbleknobs | Eventide Heights | House of Many Teeth | The Rustflats | Fairyfire Abyss | Heinous Holdfast | Behemoth's Bicuspid | Fort Uncertainty | Temblor Tower

Area 9
Eternal Tears | Mount Thunderstomp | Peaks of Perdition | Cloudchase Crossing | Choppermill Chase | Fossilfear Narrows | Curvilinear Canyon | The Hungry Hills | Deception Demesne

Area 10
Memoria | The Unexamined Life | No Will to Break | The Places I Know | XXXX | XXXX | XXXX | XXXX | XXXX | XXXX | XXXX

Area 11
XXXX | XXXX | XXXX

And, here's the world map as it currently looks.

[Image: CxAuASr.png][Image: t2jX84a.png]

---

SO YOU WANNA PLAY IT?

I can't just hand out the ROM I'm editing because that's probably a no-no. So, here's what you have to do.

1. Find a copy of the Super Mario World ROM. Just use Google, it's not hard to find a copy. It should be the American version of the rom (typically, the file is designated (U))
2. Download the Ganymede patch. To make things easy on yourself, extract both the ROM and the patch to the same directory.
3. Now you have to apply the patch to the ROM, and to do this, you need a tiny program called Lunar IPS. Open Lunar IPS, select "Apply IPS patch". Select the patch first, and then select the ROM. ???? and profit.
4. Enjoy!

Please bear in mind that this is a beta. It's entirely possible that a glitch can make it impossible to progress on the world map (which is the trickiest part of hacking SMW in my opinion). I would definitely appreciate knowing if you encounter any such errors so that I can fix them.

I have not done any work with the music. Honestly, I suggest muting your emulator and playing the album.

Thank you and I hope you love it.
RE: Ganymede, a Super Mario World romhack
This is wonderful.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best Super Smash Brawl Character? Nimbus 2 478 February 19, 2018 at 7:27 am
Last Post: Caustic
  Any Mario Maker-ers Up In Here? Astonished 0 445 August 4, 2017 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Super Smash Bros. null--69 4 807 April 15, 2014 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: Jaysyn
  Anyone else wants to try "Super Mario" on Nintendo 64 Raindeer 1 948 November 23, 2013 at 9:31 am
Last Post: _xenu_
  Super Mario 64 World Record Tiberius 29 7873 August 10, 2012 at 7:24 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Super Mario Galaxy 2 superstarr 3 1978 May 27, 2010 at 4:53 am
Last Post: Violet