Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:58 am

Poll: My position on this is...
This poll is closed.
No change needed
100.00%
7 100.00%
A change could (and should, perhaps) be made
0%
0 0%
I'm a moron(ambiguous mets-phrasing noticed and accounted for)
0%
0 0%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quoting others "inaccurately"
Quoting others "inaccurately"
I have trouble with this part of this rule(emphasized by myself):

Quote:Adding formatting for purposes of clarification or highlighting (e.g. making certain words bold, adding reference numbers, etc.) is allowed, provided that the member indicates that the additions are their own and not in the original quote, and provided that the formatting does not change the meaning of the quoted text. 
Well, it's not really a problem with the concept. I understand why we should specify such modifications of text, even if done with the sole purpose of replying to others' posts, but I'm thinking it's a pain in the ass to mention it everytime that it's your bold there, or(I guess, though I don't use them) your reference numbers and so on. And not only that, but to me it seems awkward and taking away from the thrust of your post sometimes to insert that specification in there. 

Quote:Note: while we're on that subject, how do you do the above(what phrases do you use, where do you place them, and so on)? 

Can we think up something better? Like maybe posts that are fucked with can be made to readily show that fact, somehow, automatically? 

If not, maybe we can think up a rule of etiquette of sorts to touch on this matter specifically and have that inserted in the present rule? Something easier than the current one, I mean, like a phrase, a word, or a symbol, strategically placed before or after the post being replied to or the reply itself... Something constant and universally used, however. That's the whole point. Leaving the nature of the specification up to the member is confusing and can conceivably lead to awkwardness in posting, or even chaotic adherence to the rule itself. I think there are things the rules should specify to the end, if they are to deal with some things to begin with. 

Thoughts -other than the generic "no need for change, moron(silently uttered), k, thx, bye"; no one is going to make any rule changes here based on my request and opinion alone, rest assured- ?
RE: Quoting others "inaccurately"
I'll let the staff figure it out.
(December 2, 2016 at 6:35 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: I'm thinking it's a pain in the ass to mention it everytime that it's your bold there

Everyone else seems to handle it OK. If you've gone to the length of editing someone's quote to add bold tags, you can go to the length of putting a simple note like "bolding mine" afterwards.

(December 2, 2016 at 6:35 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: And not only that, but to me it seems awkward and taking away from the thrust of your post sometimes to insert that specification in there.

How does it take away from the thrust of your post?

(December 2, 2016 at 6:35 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: Note: while we're on that subject, how do you do the above(what phrases do you use, where do you place them, and so on)? 

I can't speak for other people, but if I bold some part of a quote, I just put "(bolding mine)" after the quote, like so:

(December 2, 2016 at 6:35 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: And not only that, but to me it seems awkward and taking away from the thrust of your post sometimes to insert that specification in there.
(bolding mine)

Quote:Can we think up something better? Like maybe posts that are fucked with can be made to readily show that fact, somehow, automatically? 

That would involve quite a lot of programming for something that can easily be done by people manually.

Quote:If not, maybe we can think up a rule of etiquette of sorts to touch on this matter specifically and have that inserted in the present rule? Something easier than the current one, I mean, like a phrase, a word, or a symbol, strategically placed before or after the post being replied to or the reply itself... Something constant and universally used, however. That's the whole point. Leaving the nature of the specification up to the member is confusing and can conceivably lead to awkwardness in posting, or even chaotic adherence to the rule itself. I think there are things the rules should specify to the end, if they are to deal with some things to begin with. 

Thoughts -other than the generic "no need for change, moron(silently uttered), k, thx, bye"; no one is going to make any rule changes here based on my request and opinion alone, rest assured- ?

I don't want to tell people what they have to put, because invariably someone would complain that someone didn't do it correctly, or exactly the way the rule describes. As long as it's clear that you made a modification, you're fine.
I'm extremely happy with the rule the way it is. I was very happy with the change.
Jaysus Christ in a cardigan sweater - THIS again? EP has an issue with (yet another) rule. Whinge, whinge, whinge. Like a fecking six-year old who dropped his lolly in the dirt.

Mate, if you don't like the rules, get your own fucking forum.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
That's a bit retarded, but OK.
(December 2, 2016 at 7:19 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: That's a bit retarded, but OK.

As a retarded person, I take offense to this sort of language

#triggered
@EP: No, it isn't. It's no difficulty at all to tap out a couple of words -- which, by the way, will be much clearer for newcomers to understand than a proposed symbol or font color.

/.02

(December 2, 2016 at 7:19 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: That's a bit retarded, but OK.

Change your signature, fuckwit.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 2, 2016 at 7:33 pm)Jesster Wrote:

As a retarded person, I take offense to this sort of language

#triggered

Don't care.

(December 2, 2016 at 7:34 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: @EP: No, it isn't. It's no difficulty at all to tap out a couple of words -- which, by the way, will be much clearer for newcomers to understand than a proposed symbol or font color.

/.02

You have a point. As for whether it is or it isn't, if you're referring to my description of Boru's suggestion that happens to completely invalidate the purpose of this particular forum we're posting in itself, then I don't know what the hell you're talking about. The man got a request in the OP to avoid committing precisely this sort of disruption of conversation, yet he insisted on doing it anyway. Which brings me to my next reply.

(December 2, 2016 at 8:01 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

Change your signature, fuckwit.

Boru

That one might necessitate some context, admittedly. That's a phrase LP continously quote mined me with over the preceding year. I, at last,  decided to stop trying to reason with and correct his trolling, so, I followed Tyrion's advice instead, the greater cost I knew I might pay for it aside(despite it being obviously self-parodying as well):

Quote:Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Someone's been quoting me, but nothing's there. Foxaèr 9 2967 July 19, 2017 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Honestly, I'm fucking tired of this quoting system Foxaèr 11 1795 August 5, 2015 at 4:31 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Problem with Quoting festive1 13 3920 May 20, 2013 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  [split] Quoting Full Articles Violet 8 3784 April 27, 2010 at 11:34 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Quoting long posts. Darwinian 10 5370 March 12, 2009 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Rob