Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black people and christianity
Black people and christianity
I just came across this on the internet: You may purchase slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase their children. You may treat them as your property. (Leviticus 25:45)
I find it... "funny", for the lack of a better word, how black people worship the same god who allowed them to be enslaved. What's worse, he actually ordered they should be enslaved. I'm guessing they'll end up not exactly in the place they were hoping for when they were alive, lol. Big Grin
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
RE: Black people and christianity
I don't know if black people are any more religious than white folks. I know I've dated several black girls, most of which were atheist or at least considered themselves agnostic but almost all of whom came from quite religious families (i.e. attended church on a regular basis, said grace every night at dinner, etc.)

While you might think there would be a greater feeling of disdain toward christianity in the African American community, I suppose the Sunday schools composed of predominantly black students skim over those parts of the bible just like any other Sunday school. When you take that into consideration, it's not so surprising. I'm sure Black Christians, like any other Christian group, are predominantly cafeteria Christians. Take what you need and leave the rest.
“Love is the only bow on Life’s dark cloud. It is the morning and the evening star. It shines upon the babe, and sheds its radiance on the quiet tomb. It is the mother of art, inspirer of poet, patriot and philosopher.

It is the air and light of every heart – builder of every home, kindler of every fire on every hearth. It was the first to dream of immortality. It fills the world with melody – for music is the voice of love.

Love is the magician, the enchanter, that changes worthless things to Joy, and makes royal kings and queens of common clay. It is the perfume of that wondrous flower, the heart, and without that sacred passion, that divine swoon, we are less than beasts; but with it, earth is heaven, and we are gods.” - Robert. G. Ingersoll

Mormons are having some success overseas in areas where being 'white and delightful to the Lord' (their words) is unusual. And realize, the Mormons are hawking their Book of Mormon with all manner of hideous racial stuff still inside.

Hell if I know how that's a viable business plan for them, but it is. Inspires some weird questions that aren't PC to articulate these days . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(December 7, 2016 at 3:18 pm)operator Wrote: I don't know if black people are any more religious than white folks.

I won't offer commentary on any doctrine/theology, but just to the demographic question, 

http://www.pewforum.org/religious-landsc...mposition/

Blacks are more religious overall than other races/ethnicities.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
to expand on my post,

it's all made up shit anyhow, why are people looking at a faith that starts off condemning them to subordinate social status as a 'gift' from God ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Perhaps because of the role of black churches in the civil rights movement, criticism of Christianity carries a greater stigma among African Americans. Or maybe it's because oppression continues and the church has been a source of solace.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
adding to F&F above

-More religious, but decidedly -not- part of the conservative religious voting bloc in the US.  Remember that the next time some waspish fundy tries to tell you what the "christian position" on a political issue is, lol.

@MA

Their churches and their religious experience are markedly different from caucasian offerings even within the same denominations. So much so that those churches routinely poach members from other...shall we say less fun, providers of religious goods and services.

(this subject is one of my favorites, lol.....so much good material on the african american religious experience)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 7, 2016 at 3:26 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: I won't offer commentary on any doctrine/theology, but just to the demographic question, 

That's interesting but to me has nothing to do with the conversation. I don't think that black people being 'more religious' means a whole lot. Christians still cherry pick the bible. Christians still choose what parts of the philosophy to apply to whatever areas of their life they do, or don't, see fit. And I know from one girl I dated that her family attended a baptist church for strictly social reasons. Like many other Christian families.

While anecdotal evidence doesn't necessarily mean anything, I highly doubt that a black Christian knows much more, or less about the bible than any other Christian.

When reading what the bible has to say about slavery a black christian will dismiss that part of the book just like any other christian would. So the fact that blacks may be more religious really tells us nothing in relation to the bibles words concerning slavery. You might be able to explore the indoctrination of African American slaves into Christian thought with statistics like that and I'm sure there is some relationship there. But as far as why blacks take no issue with these verses... It's the same reason any other christian doesn't take issue with those very same verses.
“Love is the only bow on Life’s dark cloud. It is the morning and the evening star. It shines upon the babe, and sheds its radiance on the quiet tomb. It is the mother of art, inspirer of poet, patriot and philosopher.

It is the air and light of every heart – builder of every home, kindler of every fire on every hearth. It was the first to dream of immortality. It fills the world with melody – for music is the voice of love.

Love is the magician, the enchanter, that changes worthless things to Joy, and makes royal kings and queens of common clay. It is the perfume of that wondrous flower, the heart, and without that sacred passion, that divine swoon, we are less than beasts; but with it, earth is heaven, and we are gods.” - Robert. G. Ingersoll

(December 7, 2016 at 3:37 pm)operator Wrote:
(December 7, 2016 at 3:26 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: I won't offer commentary on any doctrine/theology, but just to the demographic question, 

That's interesting but to me has nothing to do with the conversation.

What?  The religiosity of black people in America is entirely germane to the OP. 

Quote: I don't think that black people being 'more religious' means a whole lot. Christians still cherry pick the bible. Christians still choose what parts of the philosophy to apply to whatever areas of their life they do, or don't, see fit. And I know from one girl I dated that her family attended a baptist church for strictly social reasons. Like many other Christian families. 

While anecdotal evidence doesn't necessarily mean anything, I highly doubt that a black Christian knows much more, or less about the bible than any other Christian.

Nobody (here) is claiming that black Christians know more or less about the bible.  Not sure what this is in response to. That's not what I was linking.  Just that blacks are more religious.  That's it.

Quote:When reading what the bible has to say about slavery a black christian will dismiss that part of the book just like any other christian would. So the fact that blacks may be more religious really tells us nothing in relation to the bibles words concerning slavery.

You already said this.

Quote:You might be able to explore the indoctrination of African American slaves into Christian thought with statistics like that and I'm sure there is some relationship there. But as far as why blacks take no issue with these verses... It's the same reason any other christian doesn't take issue with those very same verses. 

I was literally only responding to your implied question about the religiosity of blacks compared to whites, that's all.  I'm not here to comment on doctrine or theology, really only providing some information related to the OP.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(December 7, 2016 at 3:41 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: What?  The religiosity of black people in America is entirely germane to the OP.

Not exactly. Once again, blacks being more religious has nothing to do with why black Christians specifically, ignore this part of the bible. All Christians cherry pick.

(December 7, 2016 at 3:41 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Nobody (here) is claiming that black Christians know more or less about the bible. Not sure what this is in response to.  That's not what I was linking.  Just that blacks are more religious.  That's it.

Well that tells me nothing about why blacks ignore this section of the bible. But I suppose I assumed that there was more substance to your post than just sharing a link. My fault.

(December 7, 2016 at 3:41 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: I was literally only responding to your implied question about the religiosity of blacks compared to whites, that's all.  I'm not here to comment on doctrine or theology, really only providing some information related to the OP.

It wasn't a question, implied or otherwise. I am not worried about the statistics concerning the religiosity of black folks because, as I've said before and will say again, all Christians cherry pick.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The People of Light vs The People of Darkness Leonardo17 2 523 October 27, 2023 at 7:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  First Council of Nicaea: when Christianity was deformed and Jesus named son of God. WinterHold 50 3885 September 19, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Discrimination, oppression, and the War on Christianity Losty 124 11140 July 27, 2019 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Evolution and Christianity and Salvation mrj 255 19287 March 14, 2019 at 3:10 pm
  The connection between Christianity and Capitalism Cecelia 43 4479 August 22, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  How the black man embraced Christianity Foxaèr 48 7692 July 10, 2018 at 5:53 am
  I'm sick and tired of Christianity Der/die AtheistIn 73 10272 December 29, 2017 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Christianity And Peace Der/die AtheistIn 12 2790 July 22, 2017 at 1:00 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Christianity and Suicide Der/die AtheistIn 186 38781 July 22, 2017 at 12:53 am
Last Post: Astonished
  The ignorance of science and the big bang in christianity dyresand 10 2243 May 1, 2016 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4