Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 1:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Nun's Views on Abortion
A Nun's Views on Abortion
Sister Joan Chittister, a Benedictine nun.

"I do not believe that just because you're opposed to abortion, that makes you pro-life. In fact, I think in many cases, your morality is deeply lacking if all you want is a child born but not a child fed, not a child educated, not a child housed.

And why would I think that you don't?

Because you don't want any tax money going there.

That's not pro-life.

That's pro-birth.

We need a much broader conversation on what the mortality of pro-life is."

Thought? Comments?
Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
RE: A Nun's Views on Abortion
I agree with her 100%. I'm pro life, and that encompasses much more than just bring against abortion.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
[Image: Nt0w7.jpg]
(December 9, 2016 at 11:09 pm)Loading Please Wait Wrote: Sister Joan Chittister, a Benedictine nun.

"I do not believe that just because you're opposed to abortion, that makes you pro-life. In fact, I think in many cases, your morality is deeply lacking if all you want is a child born but not a child fed, not a child educated, not a child housed.

And why would I think that you don't?

Because you don't want any tax money going there.

That's not pro-life.

That's pro-birth.

We need a much broader conversation on what the mortality of pro-life is."

Thought? Comments?

At least it's a somewhat more nuanced view that we usually hear from the Funny Hat Society.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I don't understand the "Because you don't want any tax money going there" statement. What the hell does "taxes" have to do with the issue?

Do nuns or the catholic church pay taxes? Oh, wait, someone else should pay. Got it!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(December 10, 2016 at 5:58 am)mh.brewer Wrote: I don't understand the "Because you don't want any tax money going there" statement. What the hell does "taxes" have to do with the issue?

Do nuns or the catholic church pay taxes? Oh, wait, someone else should pay. Got it!

I think that Sister Chittister is making the point that people who are opposed to abortion are being hypocritical when they decry government funded social aid to the poor. Not being willing for your taxes to go to people who desperately need help isn't exactly being 'pro-life'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 10, 2016 at 6:04 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(December 10, 2016 at 5:58 am)mh.brewer Wrote: I don't understand the "Because you don't want any tax money going there" statement. What the hell does "taxes" have to do with the issue?

I think that Sister Chittister is making the point that people who are opposed to abortion are being hypocritical when they decry government funded social aid to the poor.  Not being willing for your taxes to go to people who desperately need help isn't exactly being 'pro-life'.

Boru

And she/the church is not being hypocritical? Why should a nun or the church get any say on how/where taxes are spent?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Well, the notion that churches pay no taxes is largely a myth. The incomes of people employed by a church are taxed, incomes from church-owned properties are taxable, and churches pay VAT on most of the things they buy. Donations made to a church, however, are not taxable as income.

By way of illustration, let's say I start up the One True Church Of Boru. I'm too busy to conduct the weekly services myself, so I hire someone to do the preaching and pay him $50 000 a year. He pays taxes on that. Running a church is expensive, so I start up a bookstore and a restaurant, the income from both of which are taxable (provided they both realize a profit). I also own a small apartment building - while the income from the rents benefit the church, that income is also taxed. Ever eager to get more money, I organize a bake sale. I have to buy the flour, sugar, eggs, baking pans and so forth to make the baked goods, and all of these purchases are taxed.

At least, that's how it works here.

Boru
(December 9, 2016 at 11:09 pm)Loading Please Wait Wrote: Sister Joan Chittister, a Benedictine nun.

"I do not believe that just because you're opposed to abortion, that makes you pro-life. In fact, I think in many cases, your morality is deeply lacking if all you want is a child born but not a child fed, not a child educated, not a child housed.[...]"

Christians are pro-life. They're just pro-money more.

Let me put this in a way your typical conservative christian might (if they were honest, for once):

Forcing sluts to suffer the consequences of all that sin - that doesn't cost anything. De-funding Planned Parenthood - that even saves money. Feeding, housing and educating the little bastards, so that they may have relatively normal childhood and a fair start in life - that not only would cost money, but also would negate a lot of that punishment-for-f*cking aspect of having children, and take away from the privilege of being raised in a full-income, or double-income family. Can't have that.

Kids of sluts need to go hungry, so that everybody learns a valuable lesson and so that people who don't have sex can feel smug. And all those unwanted, underfed and under-educated children will grow up to be fine members of the under-class, so that white christian children of nuclear families have someone to look down on, without having to accept refugees and other "ausländer" among their midst. It's all pretty well thought out.

Because Jesus said, that you're supposed to help people in need, but only when it's not too much of a hassle, doesn't cost much and you deem them to be worthy...

Yeah - christianity is pretty convenient. You can be an uncaring, judgmental, tightfisted bigot and still sit on a high horse, picking few bits from the bible, that suit you, and disregarding the rest.

(December 10, 2016 at 6:26 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Well, the notion that churches pay no taxes is largely a myth.

At least, that's how it works here.

Boru

Hmmm... I don't think that's how it usually works over here in Europe. At least - not quite yet.

Italian Catholic Church under pressure to start paying property tax
Quote:Campaigners, most prominently parties on the centre left, say it is deeply unfair that Church-owned properties with a commercial function — for instance convents and monasteries that charge paying guests similar rates to four-star hotels — are exempt from property tax.
As the new technocrat government of Mario Monti seeks to slash the nation’s 1.9 trillion euro debt, attention is turning to the estimated 65,000 buildings owned by the Church.
They include around 50,000 cathedrals, churches and chapels — which would retain their tax-free status — but 11,000 schools, universities and libraries as well as nearly 5,000 hospitals, clinics and other commercial properties would face the tax.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(December 10, 2016 at 6:09 am)mh.brewer Wrote:
(December 10, 2016 at 6:04 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I think that Sister Chittister is making the point that people who are opposed to abortion are being hypocritical when they decry government funded social aid to the poor.  Not being willing for your taxes to go to people who desperately need help isn't exactly being 'pro-life'.

Boru

And she/the church is not being hypocritical? Why should a nun or the church get any say on how/where taxes are spent?

The catholic church gives more to tje.poor than any other organizarion.

https://m.facebook.com/notes/michael-san...450111086/
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If Abortion Becomes Illegal onlinebiker 36 2736 May 8, 2022 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Arkansas abortion bill, Roe vs. Wade brewer 23 1232 March 17, 2021 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Abortion Stats - Something doesn't add up. Minimalist 15 1405 November 23, 2018 at 1:29 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Argentina steps closer to legalising abortion pocaracas 0 352 June 14, 2018 at 9:59 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  New Iowa Law Restricts Abortion To Before Most Women Know They're Pregnant The Industrial Atheist 164 24080 May 20, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  U2 chooses legal abortion over Christianity Foxaèr 11 1611 May 5, 2018 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  So Republicunts Are Only Against Abortion For Other People Minimalist 5 1211 April 13, 2018 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  SCOTUS Tells Anti-Abortion Nuts To Go Fuck Themselves Minimalist 294 25489 April 11, 2018 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Adoption Not Abortion Crowd Should Take Notice Minimalist 46 3724 February 23, 2018 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Texas: you must have a funeral for your abortion Foxaèr 25 7432 June 14, 2017 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye